Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Forum Rules

This forum exists so that members can discuss more personal and/or spiritual subjects as they relate to their individual journeys or their experiences with the flute.

Members may reference their personal religious practices in context, but please no "comparative" religion here. This includes any remarks about another members religious or spiritual beliefs that can in any way be interpreted as judgmental or demeaning.

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Sun Show, ...total eclipse

Red Wing   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,214

Post #41

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Aug 28 2017, 01:21 PM) *
Beauty pics, eh?! Judging from the angle of the sun, I'd say those were taken somewhere around the area of Stanley, Idaho. wink.gif

laugh.gif laugh.gif

Wow you are good..... that would be pretty close... just a little East of there....

laugh.gif

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #42

As I mentioned, there's another total solar eclipse in Central Texas in April, 2024. Well, I just found out that there is also an annular eclipse here less than six months earlier in 2023! An annular eclipse almost entirely covers the sun, but not quite. It has to do with the eccentric orbit of the moon, placing it a bit farther out during an annular eclipse.

Gimme a shout if any of you are around here for it. Here's a link to what it will look like from San Antonio:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/...io?iso=20231014

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #43

oops. double post.

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Aug 29 2017, 08:06 AM

+ Quote Post

Titmouse   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 446

Post #44

I love the colander trick. The dragon is cool too (and the Saltine). There were high cirrus clouds over Casper. They did not detract from totality but we did not get shadow bands or the little pinhole crescents. I did not attempt to image the sun but I did take a movie of us watching totality (it gets dark, we hoot and holler, then it gets light again). Once I get the movie edited I'll try to post a link (maybe Flickr?).

Anybody for Chile 2019 (the next total solar eclipse on this world)?

Art rolleyes.gif

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Aug 22 2017, 07:27 AM) *
The eclipse was an awe inspiring site...humbling...one of the most beautiful events in nature. I've seen several partial solar eclipses, and they are impressive. However, to see one in totality is another thing all together. Even photos can't prepare you for when the sun goes black and that corona bursts out from the edges. It amazes me how a pitch black orb can have such a molten/shimmering quality to it. It was safe to view without glasses during that brief time of totality, and the only way to get the full effect. In the mountains of Idaho, we had about a 15 F temperature drop, which was far less chilling than the sensation of watching what the sun was doing. It was nothing short of spectacular.

You may recall that I mentioned looking under a tree during the partial phase. You see many crescent suns projected on the ground. There were no suitable trees where we were, so I criss-crossed the fingers of both hands to make small holes for the light to travel through. It worked, so we got out a colander; even better! (see pics) I was not pleased with the pics I took of the sun but did get one good eclips photo. (see other pic) biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #45

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Aug 23 2017, 09:35 PM) *
Did you get out there for some activities with your class? That colander thing would have gone over well!

We wanted to take our granddaughters with us to see it, but it was the first day of the school year.👎

Nope. The kids weren't in school yet. It would have been great, though . . .

+ Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 05:35 PM