Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Scott August has posted a new blog article titled "The roads in Andorra". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Guidelines for posting reviews: Read this before you post!

Because this a community forum, and because the Native American flute and World flute community is a small community (lots of folks know each other), it is suggested that reviews be non-destructive.

What that means is this: This forum is not in existence to allow someone to bash someones work, be it music, performance, instrument making, what have you. Always remember to ask yourself, "What if it was me being reviewed here? How would I like to be treated?"

This does not mean that constructive criticism is forbidden. If you have a legitimate, thoughtful observation to offer about someones art, then as long as it adheres to the Forums policy about courtesy and respect, it is welcome.

NOTE: In order to avoid postings that might be "commercial" in nature, we require a minimum level of forum participation before writing a review. Reviewers must have been members of the forums for at least one month and have a minimum post count of 15. This is to ensure that reviewers are writing disinterestedly as members of the community, and not joining the site just for the sake of promoting a merchant or artist.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» F# Comparison, DeRuby, Light, Gomez, Higgins, and a recorder

dabbler   

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,198

Post #1

Attached File  F__Quartet.jpg ( 417.21K ) Number of downloads: 23
More of an overview than a review and very much an experiment, so here goes:

Part 1 Stephen DeRuby vs Ken Light:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kFu7UPTICg&t=19s

Part 2 JP Gomez vs Barry Higgins

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gKas7gzlGc&t=27s

Part 3 Scale: Native American style vs Recorder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNLSjbDNFCg&t=2s

This post has been edited by dabbler: Nov 18 2017, 07:29 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Screen_Shot_2017_11_17_at_3.03.33_PM.png ( 3.65MB ) Number of downloads: 15

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Prairie Wolf   

Member No.: 1,395

Post #2

Don't know if it is my You Tube settings or what, but I can't get the video links to come through. blink.gif

QUOTE(dabbler @ Nov 17 2017, 12:25 PM) *

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=9kFu7UPTICg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gKas7gzlGc

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=iNLSjbDNFCg

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,398

Post #3

Hi.

Thanks for sharing those vids.

You stated that Ken's flute is one single piece and Stephen's is split. Are you sure? You might have it backwards, but I'm not sure myself.

+ Quote Post

dabbler   

Post #4

QUOTE(Prairie Wolf @ Nov 17 2017, 12:31 PM) *
Don't know if it is my You Tube settings or what, but I can't get the video links to come through. blink.gif

It may be me. Ill check the links, and the design too on light and deruby.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #5

I was unable to view the first and last videos, but I found links from the middle one that got me there...

Ken Light/Stephen DeRuby:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kFu7UPTICg

NAF vs. Recorder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNLSjbDNFCg

Hope that works.

Also, Scott, in the photo that dabbler posted, the DeRuby flute is the one on the bottom. Open that photo, and I think you'll be able to spot the seam on that flute. I never knew of Stephen "gun boring" single piece flutes and surely didn't see any equipment for doing so in his shop last year. But I did see (literally) miles of half-tube material for making two piece flutes!

QUOTE(dabbler @ Nov 17 2017, 02:25 PM) *

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=9kFu7UPTICg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gKas7gzlGc

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=iNLSjbDNFCg

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Nov 17 2017, 05:40 PM

+ Quote Post

Mike   

Member No.: 89

Post #6

QUOTE(Prairie Wolf @ Nov 17 2017, 12:31 PM) *

Yea, you posted the links from your YouTube editing tool, so you posted two of them as your "edit" version that is meant for you when you are logged in. The other one is the "watch" version for everyone else. (I probably got the terminology wrong, but you get the idea. The links should have "watch" in them.

Nice comparison. The range of timbre that variety of these flutes make is pretty striking when heard side-by-side. Thanks for that!

Mike

This post has been edited by Mike: Nov 17 2017, 06:54 PM

+ Quote Post

dabbler   

Post #7

Thanks for the tech support. Here are the revised links and I also updated the original post:

deruby-light

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kFu7UPTICg&t=19s

higgins-gomez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gKas7gzlGc&t=27s

naf-recorder

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNLSjbDNFCg&t=2s

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,398

Post #8

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Nov 17 2017, 05:37 PM) *
Also, Scott, in the photo that dabbler posted, the DeRuby flute is the one on the bottom. Open that photo, and I think you'll be able to spot the seam on that flute. I never knew of Stephen "gun boring" single piece flutes and surely didn't see any equipment for doing so in his shop last year. But I did see (literally) miles of half-tube material for making two piece flutes!

I wasn't even looking at the pics (Doh! ... very clearly evident there), but I thought Ken Light split all of his, so that's was I proposed the possible mix-up. So, Ken makes solid-bore?

+ Quote Post

Brother Cavefish   

Member No.: 3,378

Post #9

F# is one of my favorites

+ Quote Post

dabbler   

Post #10

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ Nov 18 2017, 02:58 PM) *
I wasn't even looking at the pics (Doh! ... very clearly evident there), but I thought Ken Light split all of his, so that's was I proposed the possible mix-up. So, Ken makes solid-bore?

I'll send him a note and follow up if there's an answer. My other D sharp by him is split, but if this is two parts, the seam is invisible.

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #11

Interesting comparisons.

The more important factors to me, between DeRuby and Ken Light, would be the alternative tuning, of the Ken Light flute. Many players still don't know about that factor, and I have seen experienced players forget to finger songs correctly, on the alternative tunings. I have Ken Light flutes, but never did actually acquire any of DeRuby's flutes, as I never had the opportunity to try them, either at an event, or in flutes other players had.

I think the main difference I hear in the Higgins flute, vs. the Gomez flute, is associated with the bore diameter. I tend to like the larger bore flutes myself, especially in lower keys, as the smaller bore doesn't work as well in the lower key range, without wide finger spreads. The Gomez flute is more mellow in tone, and I much prefer that tone, although Gomez is one of my fave makers, and I don't have any flutes from Higgins, again partly because I never had the opportunity totry one at an event or in a flute belonging to another player.

The comparison of NAF and recorder, is really more about the difference between a fipple instrument vs. one with a SAC to me. The expressiveness of the flute with a SAC is very different from the one with just a fipple edge. I do have recorders and I only play them in the New Age style. I d not like recorder consorts, at all, because they typically only play classical music, and I am not a classical music type of person.

I think NAF is pretty much a personal preference kind of thing, as to the sound differences between makers, given the same overall quality of voicing and tuning. Kind of like warbling flutes.........that's pretty much an acquired taste, that's not for everyone.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #12

I thought Ken made 2 piece flutes too, but I might be wrong. A 2 piece flute that starts out as a single piece of quarter sawn lumber can have a seam that's very difficult to find. In a skillfully reassembled piece, the seam can appear to be just another one of the lines in the woodgrain! As far as I could tell, Stephen rarely "matched" pieces. His massive stocks of pre-made half-tubes made it impossible to find find two pieces that were originally together as lumber. The trick to working with Stephen's materials is finding two pieces that look good together even though they're not matched.

Decoding DeRuby's materials and methods has been challenging and very intertesting.

QUOTE(dabbler @ Nov 19 2017, 07:05 AM) *
I'll send him a note and follow up if there's an answer. My other D sharp by him is split, but if this is two parts, the seam is invisible.

+ Quote Post

Mike   

Member No.: 89

Post #13

I'll bet dollars to donuts that Ken Light's flute is two halves glued together. That is how he made them for a long time, and the fact that this one has a raven's beak tells me that this one's bore was not drilled from the foot, and the integral mouthpiece tells me that the bore was not drilled from the mouth either. I THINK I see a seam in the photo, but it it probably just a really well-matched seam, which, as Keith mentioned, is fairly easy to do with western redcedar's straight grain, especially in slow-growth boards with tight growth rings.

Mike

+ Quote Post

Geoffrey   

Admin
Group: Administrators
Member No.: 5

Post #14

Yes, Ken Light does the two-halves method. I've seen photos of him working on flutes at different times and they are always halves because he hand carves the bore (does not use a router). This explains why he only uses Western Red Cedar. Very soft, very ease to carve. If you are making a bore with a gouge it makes a difference.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #15

Here's a photo of the raw stock that Stephen DeRuby used to make his flutes. I was fortunate enough to get a lot of this material from his estate. It was mostly eastern red cedar, but there was a small amount of walnut and canary wood in there too. Stephen had this stuff milled for him (by some unknown supplier). It consists of 8-foot long half-tubes, already rounded in the bore and on the outside. How cool his that, eh? Who ever heard of such stuff?

Now, the tricky part comes in gluing those halves together while keeping the seams flush inside the bore and preventing the clamping pressure from distorting and/or cracking the wood. Those problems cropped up every time in my first attempts at gluing up! blink.gif So, it took months to develop a system that avoided all of that...well worth the effort! A dear friend of mine knew Stephen far better than I. When I explained to him how I was struggling to get inside of DeRuby's head, he lovingly quipped, "That's a scary place, dude." rolleyes.gif

So, can the halves of these flutes be "book matched" to the positions they had as solid pieces of wood? Absolutely not. But, the natural colors of the wood make attractive and interesting pairings possible. Plugging and sealing the wall that separates the SAC from the bore was a whole 'nother adventure!

DeRuby was a genius. As massive as the amount of material was that he had at his disposal, you would not believe the extent to which the would go to patch and salvage every possible inch of it. Amazing.

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Nov 19 2017, 07:17 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  HalfTubes.jpg ( 433.17K ) Number of downloads: 17

+ Quote Post

Terry B   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,511

Post #16

Between Ken and Stephen.
I like Stephens flute better. I like the tone. Nice.
And J.P Gomez wins every time!

This post has been edited by Terry B: Nov 19 2017, 07:29 PM

+ Quote Post

goldfinch   

Member No.: 3,431

Post #17

I have a Barry Higgins G# with the optimized tuning. One real advantage of that flute is that it is reliable and in tune above the octave, with good solid tone. It, like my Coyote Oldman flute, has a bit more of a nasal sound, probably due to the narrow bore. I like them. I also like my Gomez flutes, and I have more of his futes than any other maker.

This post has been edited by goldfinch: Nov 23 2017, 02:08 PM

+ Quote Post

dabbler   

Post #18

QUOTE(goldfinch @ Nov 23 2017, 02:07 PM) *
I have a Barry Higgins G# with the optimized tuning. One real advantage of that flute is that it is reliable and in tune above the octave, with good solid tone. It, like my Coyote Oldman flute, has a bit more of a nasal sound, probably due to the narrow bore. I like them. I also like my Gomez flutes, and I have more of his futes than any other maker.

Well, I find each is nice to play for different moods and occasions. I played Kenís at a memorial service for my dad a while back, and the Gomez flute records really welll, (which is also new to me). Am also discovering there can be quite a range of tonal qualities with the Higginsí flute and I keep the Deruby in my office, which is just fun to play. I am still learning how to navigate the tunings, and as far as the recorder, I see that as more of a entry point to get kids, (and anyone with a recorder), interested in the NAF. Iím glad this post has generated some thoughtful comments, and I stand corrected about the split. I think what all of these share is an impressive quality of artistic craftsmanship. Iíve got another quartet in the key of G, so stay tuned! -Phil

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 07:26 AM