Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Forum Rules

This forum exists so that members can discuss more personal and/or spiritual subjects as they relate to their individual journeys or their experiences with the flute.

Members may reference their personal religious practices in context, but please no "comparative" religion here. This includes any remarks about another members religious or spiritual beliefs that can in any way be interpreted as judgmental or demeaning.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» You Never Know Who's Listening

Northern Lights   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,008

Post #1

Thought I'd share this because sometimes don't know who may be listening to your music. My partner was stopped by a neighbor in the condo complex we are temporarily living in with a couple of questions about our condo. During the conversation he asked her if she was Native American. Turns out that she is and she just moved her mother here to Ohio from Pueblo, New Mexico. She said that her mother likes to sit in the front room of their condo so that she can hear the flute music from a few doors down. I'm humbled by this, because I didn't really think that anyone every paid any attention when I played. I sometimes sit in the garage with the door open and play my flutes, but try to keep it soft so as not to bother folks. I guess you never know who might be listening. It's funny because you don't generally hear flute music in Ohio and I don't know of any other local players. Stephen.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,397

Post #2

Isn't it wonderful when things like that happen? The strange thing is, I don't think I've had anyone ever complain about my music regardless if it's by
accident or not. It's great that you were able to give that woman a taste of home. God's blessings to you, my friend, and may you have many more
experiences like this in your future.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #3

Native folks who are living away from cultural connections, like to have any reminders of their culture. We are all tribal, in the end, and cultural things are comforting to us, no matter what our culture, might be.

As to other local players, you would be surprised, to find how many flutes are in houses in your area, you don't know about, that are not being played, because the owners have never learned to play them.

I have yet to have a class, that didn't have someone who already has a flute, but has never learned to play. The need for teachers, to teach others, how to play, is greater than you might know.

There are always more Native heritage folks out there, than you might know, as well. Sometimes they are simply less obvious, because there is no concentration of them, in any one spot.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #4

QUOTE(Northern Lights @ Sep 22 2017, 03:40 PM) *
Thought I'd share this because sometimes don't know who may be listening to your music. My partner was stopped by a neighbor in the condo complex we are temporarily living in with a couple of questions about our condo. During the conversation he asked her if she was Native American. Turns out that she is and she just moved her mother here to Ohio from Pueblo, New Mexico. She said that her mother likes to sit in the front room of their condo so that she can hear the flute music from a few doors down. I'm humbled by this, because I didn't really think that anyone every paid any attention when I played. I sometimes sit in the garage with the door open and play my flutes, but try to keep it soft so as not to bother folks. I guess you never know who might be listening. It's funny because you don't generally hear flute music in Ohio and I don't know of any other local players. Stephen.

I'll bet she would love for you to visit her and take your flutes. She might even enjoy playing one! I'll bet that would be very comforting to her.

Just a thought . . . rolleyes.gif

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,397

Post #5

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Sep 23 2017, 04:47 AM) *
I'll bet she would love for you to visit her and take your flutes. She might even enjoy playing one! I'll bet that would be very comforting to her.

Just a thought . . . rolleyes.gif

What a wonderful idea!

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 09:29 PM