Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Scott August has posted a new blog article titled "The roads in Andorra". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Iwabue - Stone Flute, Japanese instrument

Bainn   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,685

Post #1

Hello folks,

Discovered a cd from '96 - "Iwabue" (Stone Flute) by Kazuya Yokozawa, and this instrument has me intrigued.

I found a couple of videos online -

Video 1

Video 2

A small stone with a hole, but more specific information is lacking, Google presents few results :/

Does anyone have any info re actual construction, have you played one, where can one source an Iwabue ?

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #2

Well, that's just a stone with a hole in it, much like playing a bottle, or a single tube of a pan pipe. It is a single note, that can be made into a little more, by manipulating the way you blow into it. This is not a lot different from an eagle bone whistle, either.

A true stone flute, would be one in Jade, or other stone material, which do exist, as transverse flutes. They are rather small, and high, but they are available to buy. I have one in a green stone, from China, trimmed with silver. Obviously, these are also somewhat fragile, like ceramic flutes. I have not seen one in any other form, than transverse. Nor have I seen any made in Japan.

To get an Iwabu, simply hunt for a stone with a hole in it, as you stroll about the countryside. The deeper the hole, the better it will play, I should think. Or, take a nice stone and drill a hole in it, or have a stone cutting shop drill a hole in it.

Or, get a Xun, from China, which looks a lot like a stone egg, with ten finger holes, and a mouth hole, and learn to play that. (They are quite challenging to learn.) Kind of like a pan pipe blow hole, with fingering added.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #3

Not much to go on there, but it reminds me of Peter Phippen playing the hell out of an acorn cap!

When you combine the human mind with all of the little hollowed out thingies you can find in nature, it's no wonder that the flute was the first melodic instrument of our species. (I say "melodic" because any primate can whack on any object and call it drumming.) 😊🥁🥁

QUOTE(Bainn @ Oct 19 2017, 11:09 AM) *
Hello folks,

Discovered a cd from '96 - "Iwabue" (Stone Flute) by Kazuya Yokozawa, and this instrument has me intrigued.

Video 1

Video 2

A small stone with a hole, but more specific information is lacking, Google presents few results :/

Does anyone have any info re actual construction, have you played one, where can one source an Iwabue ?

+ Quote Post

Bainn   

Post #4

I did find some reference to it's design -

Attached File(s)
Attached File  IwabueDesc_Fullpage.jpg ( 214K ) Number of downloads: 9

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #5

This person has quite a collection of them. Scroll down this page:

http://photagram.org/tag/石笛

It includes this little video loop:

http://photagram.org/media/BQaYcjPgma-

It appears that the iwabue is any stone that has natural holes that can be played by using a transverse flute embouchure. If you're lucky, some hole(s) will also serve as finger holes. Pretty random in terms of no two flutes playing the same way at all. So, don't count on seeing any iwabue orchestra concerts! (Rock concert!?!?😜)

Looking at how the Yokozawa bloke plays his, holding the stone in the hollow of your hands and varying that hollow by opening fingers can also change pitch...kind of like how some folks play just their hands like an ocarina.

QUOTE(Bainn @ Oct 19 2017, 11:09 AM) *
Hello folks,

Video 1

Video 2

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Oct 20 2017, 01:27 PM

+ Quote Post

Bainn   

Post #6

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Oct 20 2017, 01:25 PM) *
This person has quite a collection of them. Scroll down this page:

http://photagram.org/tag/石笛

It includes this little video loop:

http://photagram.org/media/BQaYcjPgma-

It appears that the iwabue is any stone that has natural holes that can be played by using a transverse flute embouchure. If you're lucky, some hole(s) will also serve as finger holes. Pretty random in terms of no two flutes playing the same way at all. So, don't count on seeing any iwabue orchestra concerts! (Rock concert!?!?😜)

Looking at how the Yokozawa bloke plays his, holding the stone in the hollow of your hands and varying that hollow by opening fingers can also change pitch...kind of like how some folks play just their hands like an ocarina.

Thanks Keith, good find my friend, I need to go rock hunting.......

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #7

Focus on riverbeds with gravel banks, mate.👍

QUOTE(Bainn @ Oct 23 2017, 11:42 AM) *
Thanks Keith, good find my friend, I need to go rock hunting.......

+ Quote Post

Bainn   

Post #8

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Oct 23 2017, 04:51 PM) *
Focus on riverbeds with gravel banks, mate.👍

Groovy, cheers for the advice smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 01:08 PM