Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Scott August has posted a new blog article titled "The roads in Andorra". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Flute Tour Guidelines

A flute tour is exactly what it sounds like: a flute maker can send one of their instruments out "on tour" to create an opportunity for players to try it out for free. Usually the only expense is the cost of shipping the flute to the next person on the tour.

The responsibility for organizing a tour can be assumed by the maker or (if they are more comfortable) by a proxy who is a member of the site.

The participants can discuss and share their impressions in the appropriate tour thread.

The no-selling rules still apply, and no solicitations for sales are to be made or discussed on the forums. The tour discussions are strictly to share impressions of the tour instrument.

Free speech applies here, and members are entitled to critique the tour instruments and the maker should be prepared to accept this with good grace, regardless of the nature of the feedback.

However, constructive criticism is the way to go. If you share feedback, please substantiate it in a meaningful way.

POSTING A PHOTO OF THE INSTRUMENT IS ACCEPTABLE BUT NO OFF-SITE LINKING PLEASE

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Transverse Style Anasazi In Low D - Pvc

rocksncactus   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,105

Post #21

Well, I have had my week with bonefamily's flutes and have sent them on to Keith Glowka to try out. The following are my comments on the experience.

As I stated before, I was surprised by my personal difficulties in playing these flutes. The problem was with me, not with the flutes. It has been so many years since I played transverse that I encountered some physical difficulties in the playing. I seem to remember, when playing my flute in band, that we would adjust the position of the headjoint slightly, rolling the mouthpiece inward so that as a consequence the body of the flute was positioned slightly more outward from alignment with the mouth hole. This made the reach to the keys with the left hand easier. Does that make sense? At any rate, here is wherein my problems with the flutes lay. Bonefamily's flutes are one-piece PVC. When he made the flutes he put all the holes in alignment. I can only speak for myself; the reach for the left hand was very difficult on the six-hole flute. If the flute had been held vertically like a rim-blown flute I would have had no problem. The stretch especially for the ring finger was more difficult than I thought it would be. It will be interesting to see if Keith and Michele have the same issue. Offsetting the finger holes would possibly correct the issue, but, again, this may only be an issue for me. I have some arthritis in my fingers and they are not the longest fingers in the world, either.

When I first tried to play the flutes I got no sound. I ended up holding the flute near the finger holes but not on them with the right hand and holding the mouth end with my left hand to position the hole; then I was able to get sound. But when I reached for the finger holes the flute would roll a bit and throw off my embouchure. This continued to be a problem to some extent with the six-hole flute, but by the end of the week I was having better luck with the four-hole flute. I actually could play up and down the scale some on the 4. I think if I had say a month of good playing time I would do fine on the 4.

I was not able to spend as much time on the flutes as I wanted to. My work schedule went crazy. But I tried to pick them up for a bit each evening when I got home. Again, I think with some time I would be quite proficient on the 4. I don't know how well I'd do on the 6 even with a month of steady practice; I'm sure I would do better, but my physical limitations would still hamper my playing ability on it.

I like bonefamily's flutes very much. They were very well made. The PVC was smooth and polished. The holes were drilled perfectly round and were sanded smooth. There were no rough places anywhere. They were quite pleasing to the eye. The tone I did get sounded very nice. While I was trying to play them I could picture in my mind's eye a scene from Dr. Doolittle that I read as a child, a scene where the good doctor was at the boy's home visiting and he and the boy's father pulled out their flutes and spent the evening merrily playing music. I used to think about that scene when I was in band; it was the first book I read where folks played flute in the parlor at home. Nerdy, I guess, but I've always remembered it.

All in all, I think bonefamily has made some very nice flutes that anyone would enjoy playing, and I think some more fluties should get on the tour list and try them out.

Lizabeth

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

bonefamily   

Member No.: 3,415

Post #22

I greatly appreciate you taking the time and trying my flutes, Lizabeth! I wish the ergonomics were better fit to your playing. On the six hole anasazi, the left hand ring finger hole is offset but like you said everyone's hand and finger length/reach is going to be different. When laying the holes out, if that hole was inline with the others it would have been a great reach. I have long fingers and even that reach would have troubled me, which is why I offset it.

Thanks again for taking the time and for your kind comments!!

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #23

You are quite welcome, Bryan. I enjoyed the experience very much.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #24

Señor bonefamily,

Got the flutes yesterday. Very nice work! My comments will be a bit more technical and from a flute maker's point of view. There are a couple of reasons for this:

* I have always been more of a builder than a player.
* A hand injury has left my left middle finger numb on the end, knocking out what little virtuosity I did have. (I can no longer put any "feeling" into flipping anybody off with that hand either.) laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Nonetheless, I still know a bit about what makes these rascals tick. biggrin.gif

Both of these flutes are very well tuned. The Anasazi flute has that scale established by MGA when he revived the instrument. The alternatively tuned four-holer has a pleasing and interesting scale. On both flutes, the notes of the scale are accurately tuned in relation to each other and to the fundamental.

I was apprehensive about the round mouthpiece hole. On transverse flutes, I prefer ovals. However, these played easily (though I still prefer ovals). The blowing edge of the round holes have just the right amount of undercut to make for a solid tone. Speaking of mouthpieces, bonefamily, we discussed using PVC repair "slip-on connectors" in another thread. Did you ever give those a go?

On these two tour-flutes, the smoothness around the edges of all holes is apparent. They haven't been overworked. They are smooth but not so much that they don't provide for a sharp seal around the fingers covering the holes.

The bindings are well tied with no overlaps, but the strings need to be cut off flush with the edge of the wrapped band of cordage. It's a minor detail, but it will provide a sharper look. Plus, the bit that hangs out does not provide any functional advantage. A razor blade or Exacto knife is good for this task. Additionally, on smooth materials like bamboo and PVC, the bindings really benefit from a saturation with shellac (rubbed in with a fingertip). This "glues" the wrappings to each other and to the body of the flute. The result is a binding in which the individual wraps don't slip or move apart.

Very nicely made PVC flutes, bonefamily…and I liked the flute bags too smile.gif

Keith

QUOTE(bonefamily @ Jun 3 2015, 05:07 PM) *
Hello everyone. I am giving a go at making simple system transverse style flutes and I would like to send one of mine out for a tour. I find my creations to be easy to play, but I know I need to hear input from others on what they like and don't like about them. Every player is a bit different on how they play.

I have a pvc low D Anasazi tuned that I would greatly appreciate others to try and give their opinions. The way tours normally work is that I will ship the flute to the first person, and then that person will ship the flute to the next, and so on. I understand if you all feel a tour is not worth the shipping cost for a pvc flute, so no hard feelings if no one is interested.

If you do wish to participate, just reply here or send me a pm.

Thanks!

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Jun 23 2015, 05:41 PM

+ Quote Post

bonefamily   

Post #25

Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my flutes, and also for the kind words. I understand what you are saying about the wraps. I've never worked with shellac before, but this can give me a good entry to the finish. I also thought about perhaps painting some hobby CA glue on them?

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #26

CA might work. It would take a fair amount of it. The shellac is a natural substance from a bug and is dissolved in alcohol. It's safe to use (there are even food applications for the stuff). It's available in small cans at pretty much any home improvement store. Dries super fast. It will bind the flute ties as it does in another similar use, that of tying fishing flies.

QUOTE(bonefamily @ Jun 25 2015, 03:35 PM) *
Thank you for taking the time to evaluate my flutes, and also for the kind words. I understand what you are saying about the wraps. I've never worked with shellac before, but this can give me a good entry to the finish. I also thought about perhaps painting some hobby CA glue on them?

+ Quote Post

MicheleJ2   

Member No.: 1,273

Post #27

I got them today and so far I prefer the 6 hole, but it's early still. Both look and feel good for PVC flutes. I have a few - some NA style and an orange Irish style, and these are the nicest of the bunch. Please PM me the next address to send them to. Thanks.
Michele

+ Quote Post

bonefamily   

Post #28

QUOTE(MicheleJ2 @ Jul 2 2015, 03:11 PM) *
I got them today and so far I prefer the 6 hole, but it's early still. Both look and feel good for PVC flutes. I have a few - some NA style and an orange Irish style, and these are the nicest of the bunch. Please PM me the next address to send them to. Thanks.
Michele

Thanks for trying the flutes and for your kind words, MicheleJ2!! I appreciate you taking the time to review them. I'll send you a pm about next shipping details.

+ Quote Post

MicheleJ2   

Member No.: 1,273

Post #29

I have had my week as well and don't have much to add to what has already been said. The flutes were both very well made. I did not have problem with the left hand reach, but I have rather large hands and long fingers. The sound was good and not difficult to get - I found it much easier and more consistent than my rim-blown Anasazi flutes. I like the 6 hole better, but it was a personal preference, not due to quality of sound or workmanship. Both were well made and not too difficult to play. The round embouchure hole was fine for me as well. Thanks for sharing it. Do you plan to make more?

+ Quote Post

bonefamily   

Post #30

QUOTE(MicheleJ2 @ Jul 16 2015, 12:44 PM) *
I have had my week as well and don't have much to add to what has already been said. The flutes were both very well made. I did not have problem with the left hand reach, but I have rather large hands and long fingers. The sound was good and not difficult to get - I found it much easier and more consistent than my rim-blown Anasazi flutes. I like the 6 hole better, but it was a personal preference, not due to quality of sound or workmanship. Both were well made and not too difficult to play. The round embouchure hole was fine for me as well. Thanks for sharing it. Do you plan to make more?

Thanks for taking the time to give them a try, MicheleJ2 - as well as sharing your experiences with them. Yes, I have made and plan to keep making many more. I am working with both pvc and bamboo now. I find the pvc to be much easier to craft from due to the consistent size, but find bamboo to be much more rewarding and have a more pleasant tone. I plan to continue crafting from both materials.

Thanks to everyone for taking their time and giving my flutes a try!!! Encouragement goes a long way smile.gif

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #31

It was an interesting experience from our end and I presume educational from yours . More flute makers should do the same as you. Thanks again for arranging the tour!

+ Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th October 2017 - 10:41 PM