Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Advanced Pop Music (with Piano Accompaniment) For Flute, Looking for advanced flute music for my friend

Greenpetal   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,809

Post #1

Hello all!

I'm a newbie here at this forum. The situation is that I'm accompanying my friend (a flute player) on the piano for an upcoming festival in Japan. I'm going to be using a 76-key keyboard. Unfortunately, the songs that we had planned are simply too advanced for a keyboard like that, so I was looking into pop music that would be keyboard-friendly. However, most of the flute music I've seen hasn't been too complicated, and he is really a skilled flute player. Can anyone suggest some pop songs that would be a challenge for him (or at least interesting) but still be keyboard-friendly (it's fine if there are some low notes, I can always invert chords or work around the notes to fit the 76 key range)?

Thanks so much!

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Greenpetal   

Post #2

Jazz arrangement suggestions would also be welcome! They may be sparse enough chord-wise to be good for the keyboard but busy enough to be interesting for him.

+ Quote Post

CindyL   

Member No.: 3,672

Post #3

QUOTE(Greenpetal @ Sep 5 2016, 08:50 PM) *
Jazz arrangement suggestions would also be welcome! They may be sparse enough chord-wise to be good for the keyboard but busy enough to be interesting for him.

I will be interested in the results here too, as I bought my husband a keyboard for Xmas last year, so we can play together. However, we are reverse in skills smile.gif. He is a great keyboard player while I am a beginning flute player.

CindyL

+ Quote Post

Jeff G   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 101

Post #4

When in doubt, hit the classics. Jazz pieces (Georgia, Summertime, etc) always go over well.

QUOTE(Greenpetal @ Sep 6 2016, 12:28 AM) *
Hello all!

I'm a newbie here at this forum. The situation is that I'm accompanying my friend (a flute player) on the piano for an upcoming festival in Japan. I'm going to be using a 76-key keyboard. Unfortunately, the songs that we had planned are simply too advanced for a keyboard like that, so I was looking into pop music that would be keyboard-friendly. However, most of the flute music I've seen hasn't been too complicated, and he is really a skilled flute player. Can anyone suggest some pop songs that would be a challenge for him (or at least interesting) but still be keyboard-friendly (it's fine if there are some low notes, I can always invert chords or work around the notes to fit the 76 key range)?

Thanks so much!

+ Quote Post

Jeremy in SC   

Member No.: 1,071

Post #5

Not exactly sure what you are looking for in terms of "pop" music, but when I think of flute and popular music I think back to the flute solo in Elvis's "American Trilogy" (about 3 minutes in).

On a Native American flute, I have regretted that there is not enough range for "Desperado" or "Bridge Over Troubled Water" as I think they would be great flute songs. One that is in range that I enjoy playing is "Seven Spanish Angels."

Can you tell us what you eliminated due to the deficiency of the keyboard?

Peace,
Jeremy

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,397

Post #6

QUOTE(Jeremy in SC @ Sep 6 2016, 05:02 AM) *
Not exactly sure what you are looking for in terms of "pop" music, but when I think of flute and popular music I think back to the flute solo in Elvis's "American Trilogy" (about 3 minutes in).

On a Native American flute, I have regretted that there is not enough range for "Desperado" or "Bridge Over Troubled Water" as I think they would be great flute songs. One that is in range that I enjoy playing is "Seven Spanish Angels."

Can you tell us what you eliminated due to the deficiency of the keyboard?

Peace,
Jeremy

Jeremy, Greenpetal didn't say what kind of flute his (or her?) friend plays. Some flutes have a much greater range than others.

So, GP, what kind of flute are we talking about wink.gif .

Just a side note: I have played "Bridge Over Troubled Water" on NAsF. It wasn't easy--and I had to improvise--but I did it tongue.gif .

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Jeremy in SC   

Member No.: 1,071

Post #7

Ginger,

Yes, I was actually assuming that GP was talking about playing with a transverse/silver flute. I was suggesting songs that I think would sound great on either one of those or an NAF if the NAF had enough range. In general, I think the songs we think of in the broad category of "ballads" are good flute songs. They usually have a good "feel" to them and are often flowing and rhythmic.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Jeremy

My music for "Bridge" is ranged C4 to F5. I have some flutes that will relatively do C4 to E5, but not to F5. Just one note short!

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,397

Post #8

QUOTE(Jeremy in SC @ Sep 6 2016, 08:36 AM) *
Ginger,

Yes, I was actually assuming that GP was talking about playing with a transverse/silver flute. I was suggesting songs that I think would sound great on either one of those or an NAF if the NAF had enough range. In general, I think the songs we think of in the broad category of "ballads" are good flute songs. They usually have a good "feel" to them and are often flowing and rhythmic.

Sorry I wasn't more clear.

Jeremy
My music for "Bridge" is ranged C4 to F5. I have some flutes that will relatively do C4 to E5, but not to F5. Just one note short!

Oops! Sorry I misread.

Happy Fluting smile.gif!

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Joe D   

Member No.: 3,330

Post #9

I would ask the Japanese promoters what songs they would like to have you play. It could be Taylor Swift music for an example including her country stuff which I like the most.

This post has been edited by Joe D: Sep 6 2016, 10:16 AM

+ Quote Post

Greenpetal   

Post #10

Hello all!

Thank you so much for your suggestions--I'm going to have a look at them and discuss them with my friend.

He plays a western concert flute (read that off of Wikipedia), sorry for not specifying!

The pieces that we had been looking at that we decided not to do were:

-Copland's "Duo for Flute and Piano: 1. Flowing"
-The first movement of Mozart's Concerto for Flute and Orchestra G-dur K 313
-The Poulenc Flute Sonata, 1st mvt, Pahud

These were pieces we discussed before I found out that I wouldn't be playing on an actual piano. I haven't actually seen the keyboard that I'm going to be using, so it could be very light and flimsy, and I might be standing up or sitting at it awkwardly, so not only do those pieces above challenge the key range, but I'll be limited in the amount of weight I can put into my hands and control I'll be able to exert standing up or sitting down at a weird angle. Might even have knocked over the keyboard if I wasn't careful. tongue.gif

I found a really good classical piece that he is very interested in that has an interesting flute part and a very middle range for the piano and simple piano accompaniment. It's Faure's Morceau de Concours--really like it!

He and I have discussed also doing a flute duet together--would anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to pretty much any genre. We'd be looking for something that lasts about 5-6 minutes.

Another note about the festival, it's a community festival, so not extremely professional or anything, but something we don't want to embarrass ourselves at, especially since we are two American English teachers who stick out quite a lot lol.

+ Quote Post

Jeff G   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 101

Post #11

How about Anitra's Dance from Peer Gynt by Grieg, possibly Vocalise-Étude en forme de Habanera by Ravel, Or you could do something by James Galway and Phil Coulter, they have a duet book out "Legends" a little more modern.

QUOTE(Greenpetal @ Sep 7 2016, 03:33 AM) *
Hello all!

Thank you so much for your suggestions--I'm going to have a look at them and discuss them with my friend.

He plays a western concert flute (read that off of Wikipedia), sorry for not specifying!

The pieces that we had been looking at that we decided not to do were:

-Copland's "Duo for Flute and Piano: 1. Flowing"
-The first movement of Mozart's Concerto for Flute and Orchestra G-dur K 313
-The Poulenc Flute Sonata, 1st mvt, Pahud

These were pieces we discussed before I found out that I wouldn't be playing on an actual piano. I haven't actually seen the keyboard that I'm going to be using, so it could be very light and flimsy, and I might be standing up or sitting at it awkwardly, so not only do those pieces above challenge the key range, but I'll be limited in the amount of weight I can put into my hands and control I'll be able to exert standing up or sitting down at a weird angle. Might even have knocked over the keyboard if I wasn't careful. tongue.gif

I found a really good classical piece that he is very interested in that has an interesting flute part and a very middle range for the piano and simple piano accompaniment. It's Faure's Morceau de Concours--really like it!

He and I have discussed also doing a flute duet together--would anyone have any suggestions? I'm open to pretty much any genre. We'd be looking for something that lasts about 5-6 minutes.

Another note about the festival, it's a community festival, so not extremely professional or anything, but something we don't want to embarrass ourselves at, especially since we are two American English teachers who stick out quite a lot lol.

+ Quote Post

Utah Chris   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 171

Post #12

This is a toughie. How about the Adagio from Concerto de Aranjuez by Rodrigo? It's not pop, but a very accessible piece of classical music. I would imagine it to be challenging for a flute player, and the repeated piano chords would sound like strumming a guitar.

QUOTE(Jeff G @ Sep 7 2016, 05:58 AM) *
How about Anitra's Dance from Peer Gynt by Grieg, possibly Vocalise-Étude en forme de Habanera by Ravel, Or you could do something by James Galway and Phil Coulter, they have a duet book out "Legends" a little more modern.

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 06:34 PM