Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Scott August has posted a new blog article titled "The roads in Andorra". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Flute Event forum rules

This forum is for discussion of general flute events. If you are an individual who is conducting paid workshops or classes, please don't use this forum to advertise them (in fairness to other merchants who are forbidden to promote their work, websites, etc. on the forums). We will be adding an Events Calendar to the Flute Portal home page soon, and that will be the proper place for such things.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Native Dawn Festival., Moved to Cherokee, NC.

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 75

Post #1

The event this year was put together very late, and moved to Cherokee, NC, where it may remain in the future. It is a smaller event, not well publicized, or promoted, and with limited vendors. Fred Keams hopes to get a better time for next year, and hopefully will be able to do more in promoting and publicizing the event, to get more vendors, and more participants.

The performances went well, but the attendance was low, in spite of the fact it was right in the middle of town, during late fall color, this year, and there were still a lot of folks in town, but few seemed to notice the event going on, even though they could attend free, and listen to the music.

I met several folks I hadn't met before though, including flute maker Joseph Whitefeather, who makes very nice flutes, as well as performed, Tim Corbin, who performed, and a fellow flutie from Commerce, GA area. Our old friend Robert Mullinax, and of course Fred Keams, were the only two, I previously knew.

Looking forward to seeing this event get better next year, and attract more participants, and hopefully become a regular event in Cherokee.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Jeremy in SC   

Member No.: 1,071

Post #2

Rick,

When was it? How would one hear about it? I like going up to Cherokee. Want to make sure I don't miss it next year.

Jeremy

This post has been edited by Jeremy in SC: Nov 4 2017, 03:06 PM

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor

Post #3

It was this Friday and Saturday. Fortunately, the weather remained comfortable this year, this late, and a light jacket was adequate, the fall color was still present, though dulling down, and the view of the mountain tops from the seats, was still beautiful.

The word was, that they should get next year's dates, soon, from the fairground committee, and they were hoping for sometime between July and early October.

The only place you can find any info about the event, is Facebook, and the events calendar of WFS newsletter, and FB is woefully inadequate for promoting the event. I hope they will at least be able to get the event on the tribal event calendar, but the fact is, Fred is Navajo, and not Cherokee, so while he did get lots of cooperation for the event, tribal politics still come into play, I suspect.

Fred's wife started working for the tribal hospital, this past July, but last I knew Fred hadn't found a job for the move as yet, from KY. They hope to complete the move in the near future. Then it will be easier to make the flute event happen, next year.

They only had one small sign on the fairgrounds fence, no banners, and not enough vendor and participant activity to be really noticed by regular visitors, from the street, as all the activity, was in the back of the fairgrounds, where the stage and stands are.

I was there all day on Friday, and until noon on Saturday, after which, I went to the pottery Festival in Dillsboro, in the afternoon, which I hadn't ever gotten to, before, since it wasn't that far away.

Hopefully, Fred will be able to make the move, in the near future, and once that is completed, they will be able to work on the event more, and make it better next year. Bound to be hard, living separately, they way they have been, the past few months.

This post has been edited by Rick McDaniel: Nov 5 2017, 05:15 AM

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Member No.: 3,105

Post #4

I would love to attend next year. It's always difficult to get new events cranked up. I commend Fred Keams for getting a new flute festival established; I can't imagine the amount of work that must go into it. I suspect with a year to work on it that next year will be much more successful. I look forward to it!

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor

Post #5

I posted to all the flute circle pages in the immediate area, and only saw 2 people I knew, from the local groups there, including my flute classes.

I think it has to be earlier in the season, to do better. Normally it would have been pretty chilly in Cherokee, this past weekend, but we really were lucky with better weather than normal. Of course, a lot of places have already closed for the season, there, as well.

Have to watch for info on the FB page, as that is the main place they put info. Fortunately, they keep the page open to non-FB people.

They also need it to be Sat.-Sun. instead of Fri.-Sat. Friday was pretty low turnout. Saturday was better, but only modestly better.

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 12:16 AM