Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Forum Rules

All members are welcome to share about themselves, but there are some basic rules:

- No politics! If you spend your spare time campaigning for a political party or engage in some activity that could be interpreted as being "politically inflammatory" then this is not the place to share that. If you like to build birdhouses, then this is the place :)

- No comparative religion. If you volunteer at your local church, that is fine, but we encourage all religious reference to be non-denominational.

- All of the major site guidelines apply: Clean language and courtesy.

- Any off-site links about what you do need to meet the general criteria for acceptable site content. Inappropriate links will be removed.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Lightning Strike

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,397

Post #1

I can't remember the exact day, but early last week we had one terrific lightning storm. Around 5:30pm we were watching a DVD on TV when we
could here the lightning getting closer than we'd ever heard it before. And then it hit. It was like a strobe light accompanying a bomb going off right
over the house all at the same time. Everything in the house went "SNAP!", the electricity went out for maybe a heartbeat before coming back on,
but after that everything seemed fine.

Evidently--as we found out later--the strike fried my computer's router and the electric line that led to our barn. It took awhile to get a new router
from Frontier, and evidently the breaker switch finally worked for the barn. I'm still having a minor problem with the router. I hope to get that fixed
by Monday. I'm busy this weekend, so the router will have to wait till then.

But for now I have internet access, though it's a bit awkward, and everything's pretty much back to normal.

Ginger

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #2

Glad that didn't happen the day you were out playing your flute in the storm.

Just sayin . . . rolleyes.gif

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,397

Post #3

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Jul 7 2017, 04:26 PM) *
Glad that didn't happen the day you were out playing your flute in the storm.

Just sayin . . . rolleyes.gif

I get your drift. God is always with me, if not the Almighty Himself, I know His angels are always with me... not a doubt in my mind.

Thank you for your concern. True friends are hard to come by, and I count you and other Portal members among mine.

Ginger

This post has been edited by Red Hawk: Jul 9 2017, 03:50 PM

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #4

There are always problems when you get a strike really close to your house. One of the less obvious, is your door bell is likely fried. You have to find the little square device your bell button is wired to, and replace it. Test the bell, to see if it works.

Computers, and related components, are one of the most commonly affected devices.

That's also one of the most common causes of house fires. Be glad you didn't get bigger problems.

It is always a good idea to shut down and unplug computers and related devices, when you know you are going to experience a lot of lightning. Nowadays, computers are being built into everything, so it is really hard to protect all household devices from lightning.

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Member No.: 3,105

Post #5

Yikes, Ginger! I feel your pain. A couple of years ago we had a strike on a tree right beside our house. It fried our computer, land line phone, one of our TVs (not all of them, thank goodness), and the electronics in our oven. Scared the crap out of us, too. Oddly, about a month later I checked the oven for some reason -- I think I was seeing if the clock worked -- and the crazy thing started working again. Something reset itself, I guess.

I've been wanting to get a whole house surge protector -- it goes outside on the main line into the house -- but it's not cheap and has had to wait.

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #6

Ginger... glad it didn't do any worse!!!

We've got a couple of independent surge protectors, which are plugged into the computer in hubby's study and in the lounge-room where we have the tv and also various other devices running through a power board... but when it sounds severe, and really getting close, we unplug the lot and get candles and torches ready... we get LOTS of electrical storms here in the right (or wrong smile.gif) season... No.. really, we love watching the activity, and every now and then when a huge bang goes off, we duck and pop back up wondering which beautiful tree or whose shed just got done. Nature is a powerful force!!

We've had a couple of neighbours who built right up on the top of a ridge. I've heard twice from friends that they were watching the storm from inside their home, and lightning struck the ground nearby and became a lightning ball, a bit like a tumbleweed, but with intent (:-}), and that ball has rushed straight on into their house and zapped them, to the point that they were all numb and tingly... yikes!!!

I watch through closed windows, or from under the deepest part of our verandah, and even then I stand back a distance! smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 12:31 PM