Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Native Rhythms?

rocksncactus   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,105

Post #1

Sound off! Who is going to Native Rhythms in November? I'm trying my durndest. Musical Echoes was my inaugural flute festival, and now that I've had a taste I want to go to all of them!

Lizabeth

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #2

Well, I am planning to make Musical Echoes in the spring, this round, and I can't afford to do both, much as I might like to, so I am skipping Native Rhythms, this year. Probably will be back there next year, especially if it is less of a bad hurricane season. On the other hand, there is yet another storm headed into the Gulf, which could impact on things in Ft. Walton Beach, before season's end.........so we shall see.

Last time we went to ME, they were still in recovery mode, from a fall hurricane. It takes a long time to rebuild, from major storm damage. Half of the event's main motel was still being re-built, when we got there. Lots of storm damaged buildings, still awaiting repair. Didn't really affect the festival that much, but we were lucky to get a room, where we wanted it, and there was still a lot of storm damage along the way, from Mobile to Ft. Walton Beach. Seems to me, we even had a detour or two, on the route.

Don't know how hard a hit, Melbourne took, but I suspect they are still in recovery mode there, now, and the threat of yet another storm, in the coming days. How much it will affect visitors, just depends on how much damage was done (or will be done), and how many of the motels might have re-building to do. Hopefully, things are going to start to improve after this next storm, passes, but the hurricane season doesn't actually end until mid-November.

So, I hope all goes well for them this year, but it won't be because mother nature was nice.

If you need any info, on motels, restaurants, etc. PM me. There are no motels real close to the event, so we opted for one on the south end last time, that was more reasonable, and more convenient to a lot of other things, like restaurants and shopping. Still just as convenient to the event, as the north end.

This post has been edited by Rick McDaniel: Oct 4 2017, 01:04 PM

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #3

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ Oct 4 2017, 12:57 PM) *
Well, I am planning to make Musical Echoes in the spring, this round, and I can't afford to do both, much as I might like to, so I am skipping Native Rhythms, this year. Probably will be back there next year, especially if it is less of a bad hurricane season. On the other hand, there is yet another storm headed into the Gulf, which could impact on things in Ft. Walton Beach, before season's end.........so we shall see.

Last time we went to ME, they were still in recovery mode, from a fall hurricane. It takes a long time to rebuild, from major storm damage. Half of the event's main motel was still being re-built, when we got there. Lots of storm damaged buildings, still awaiting repair. Didn't really affect the festival that much, but we were lucky to get a room, where we wanted it, and there was still a lot of storm damage along the way, from Mobile to Ft. Walton Beach. Seems to me, we even had a detour or two, on the route.

Don't know how hard a hit, Melbourne took, but I suspect they are still in recovery mode there, now, and the threat of yet another storm, in the coming days. How much it will affect visitors, just depends on how much damage was done (or will be done), and how many of the motels might have re-building to do. Hopefully, things are going to start to improve after this next storm, passes, but the hurricane season doesn't actually end until mid-November.

So, I hope all goes well for them this year, but it won't be because mother nature was nice.

If you need any info, on motels, restaurants, etc. PM me. There are no motels real close to the event, so we opted for one on the south end last time, that was more reasonable, and more convenient to a lot of other things, like restaurants and shopping. Still just as convenient to the event, as the north end.

Thanks, Rick. I will PM you later today. I see no indication on the website regarding post-hurricane problems. The campground is fully booked, boo hoo, and at least the Candlewood Suites is reportedly fully booked. It sounds like plenty of folks are planning to attend.

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,398

Post #4

My wife and I are going. This will be my first festival - I'm quite excited ... looking so forward to shaking some hands of "pen pals".

+ Quote Post

Northern Lights   

Member No.: 3,008

Post #5

Had a really good time at Musical Echoes, but will not be making this one. I will be hanging out at our cabin up north (and probably playing some flutes). Stephen.

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor

Post #6

I will be doing Native Dawn Festival, which moved to within 2 hours of me, in Cherokee, NC. in November. Won't be 80 degs., but I am sure it will be a nice time, just the same. That's going to be Nov. 3-4th. Nice thing, is, there's lots of other things to do there, Native, as well. Also a really good flute selection among a couple of shops.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #7

I won't be doing any, sadly, there not being any such thing over here sad.gif, but I'm very excited for Lizabeth and Scott having the opportunity to meet up! Both of you folks I'd love to meet in real time and real place if ever life allowed... Meanwhile, I'll just have to be excited on your behalf! smile.gif Woo hoo!!! It should be wonderful! And I trust you will have a wonderful time later on, Rick, at Native Dawn Festival. That sounds delightful, and only 2 hours from your home!!! Fantastic!!!! smile.gif

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #8

Hanging out at a cabin and playing flutes definitely has appeal, too, Stephen biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #9

QUOTE(shewhoflutesincaves @ Oct 7 2017, 10:45 PM) *
Hanging out at a cabin and playing flutes definitely has appeal, too, Stephen biggrin.gif

Yup. That's me at Christmas!

+ Quote Post

Northern Lights   

Post #10

Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to going north for a bit, but I have this nagging feeling that I need to try and go to these festivals before they disappear completely. I am constantly bemoaning the fact that I missed the crest of the wave with NAF events - so many are gone or have shrunk quite a bit. I have such limited vacation time with my current job that it's hard to get to many of them, but I really want to try and go some year to Native Rhythms. I have one year left in my current job and then we move North permanently, soooooo, I may be doing seasonal work, but the tradeoff would be whether or not I have funds to travel. The old catch 22: have the money but no time, or have the time but no money. Hopefully, I can find a job that affords me both!! Stephen.

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor

Post #11

The problem is, that there are not enough events in some parts of the country, vs. other parts of the country, making it harder for folks to have an event closer to them, that keeps the cost down, and allows them to spend less time getting to and from the event.

Air travel is much more of a hassle now, as well, which doesn't help either.

I am just thankful that some of the events are still available to attend, although others have gone by the wayside for one reason or another.

After retiring, that put some limits on where I can afford to go, so I have to be happy with the events I can still afford to get to, and how frequently I can go. That's pretty much not going to change, now, so those limitations are there for the duration.

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #12

Well, it is now officially official: I am going to Native Rhythms! I'm so stoked! Last week I cleared it calendar-wise with my coworkers, but I had to wait until today to clear it with my judge. I work in court, so I can be off if we have something but arrangements have to be made for someone to cover. She's fine with it, I've got a hotel room, the Jeep is in good shape, I've got a full day to make my way down and a full day to make my way back, so life looks pretty good right now. I'm glad I can be off work on Monday, which was my worry. Now I don't have to leave early and drive all the way back to Atlanta on Sunday night; I can stay until the very end, then drive to Tampa, stay with family, and head home on Monday. Yay!

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #13

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ Oct 5 2017, 09:08 AM) *
My wife and I are going. This will be my first festival - I'm quite excited ... looking so forward to shaking some hands of "pen pals".

Scott, PM me if you want to arrange to meet up at some point during the weekend. I'll be arriving at Rhythms first thing Friday morning -- don't want to miss anything -- and staying until everything closes down on Sunday, so I'll be there. There's so much to do; performances to enjoy, workshops to attend, vendors to shop. There are going to be several members of my flute circle down there, too, so I can introduce you if we meet. Stephen, aka Northern Lights, and I met up at Musical Echoes and had a lot of fun. It's really cool to meet someone face to face that you've only known online.

Lizabeth (Liz)

+ Quote Post

Northern Lights   

Post #14

Have a great time guys, I'll be thinking about everyone down there.

QUOTE(rocksncactus @ Oct 16 2017, 12:17 PM) *
Scott, PM me if you want to arrange to meet up at some point during the weekend. I'll be arriving at Rhythms first thing Friday morning -- don't want to miss anything -- and staying until everything closes down on Sunday, so I'll be there. There's so much to do; performances to enjoy, workshops to attend, vendors to shop. There are going to be several members of my flute circle down there, too, so I can introduce you if we meet. Stephen, aka Northern Lights, and I met up at Musical Echoes and had a lot of fun. It's really cool to meet someone face to face that you've only known online.

Lizabeth (Liz)

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #15

QUOTE(Northern Lights @ Oct 17 2017, 04:07 AM) *
Have a great time guys, I'll be thinking about everyone down there.

Will do, Stephen. Eric Kalita (4wind) and Beth Prevedel (Cha oha) are both going, as well as quite a few others from my circle. Eric and I are definitely going to play some rim flutes; I told Beth to bring hers, too. I'll be thinking of you when we play.

I think next year we should get a HUGE contingent of Portalites in attendance! What fun!!

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,398

Post #16

huh.gif Gulp!! huh.gif I got my acceptance letter for the players' competition in the mail today.
My first festival = my first competition ... what was I THINKING!???? blink.gif

I have NO idea of how these things roll, other than the registration is from 9:00-10:00 and the actual competition is from 1:50-2:50.
I know I should probably bring one of my favorite flutes to use in the competition, but I don't plan on bringing any flutes - I will buy an affordable one there (probably 2-3, who am I trying to fool!) that likes me and will serve me well enough so that I won't embarrass myself too badly in the competition.
I hope to sample several of Ed's (Greybeard) cool Cedar Backpackers ... and hopefully he'll have some lower Bamboo offerings, too (I plan to make his booth my very first stop). I see that Jon Norris is hosting a couple of workshops, but he is not listed as a vendor ... ????. I was hoping to check out his flutes, as one of his bird head flutes has been on my Wish List for some time.

So many questions this virgin festival-goer has!

- Are any other Portalites entered in the competition?
- Do most competition entrants play known songs or original songs for their 2nd piece?
- Is there any kind of trading or swap tent?
- Do most vendors take Credit Cards?

That's enough for now. Thanks, all.

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 09:29 PM