Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Scott August has posted a new blog article titled "The roads in Andorra". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» New To Shak, What to buy for first flute

Bainn   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,685

Post #21

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Dec 5 2017, 05:13 PM) *
Larry, one thing that I read is that with the shakuhachi, it is best to get one and stick with it (instead of getting several and playing on all of them). As a beginner, we have to perfect our embouchre and sticking with one shak at first is best. (That is not true of NAFs. They have a different type of mouthpiece - as you know).

/\ This /\

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Windwalker   

Member No.: 2,755

Post #22

Well the deal is sealed. Met with John this morning. And decided on his new flute.
Black Bamboo he harvested himself grown in AZ. It’s the root end so it has a bit of heft and and looks beautiful.
More important it plays well, it both octaves. I could of picked up an older Monty Levenson Flute for the same price. He assures me it’s perfectly tuned to an ancient scale. He will take it back if not satisfied.
So my new journey begins. Thanks all. John was self taught and told me he would help if I need it.
He told me the journey on a Shakuhachi is a personal one. Each person plays different. Gave me advice about
staying and playing and sustaining notes for some time. He stressed it’s a personal journey. And if I really wanted to learn I would. Assures me it’s Professional grade flute and will take me on my journey.
Thanks all for your help
Larry

This post has been edited by Windwalker: Dec 7 2017, 03:05 PM

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #23

QUOTE(Windwalker @ Dec 7 2017, 02:28 PM) *
Well the deal is sealed. Met with John this morning. And decided on his new flute.
Black Bamboo he harvested himself grown in AZ. Itís the root end so it has a bit of heft and and looks beautiful.
More important it plays well, it both octaves. I could of picked up an older Monty Levenson Flute for the same price. He assures me itís perfectly tuned to an ancient scale. He will take it back if not satisfied.
So my new journey begins. Thanks all. John was self taught and told me he would help if I need it.
He told me the journey on a Shakuhachi is a personal one. Each person plays different. Gave me advice about
staying and playing and sustaining notes for some time. He stressed itís a personal journey. And if I really wanted to learn I would. Assures me itís Professional grade flute and will take me on my journey.
Thanks all for your help
Larry

That's great news, Larry! It is a very personal instrument.

Enjoy the journey! Keep us posted!

+ Quote Post

Windwalker   

Post #24

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Dec 7 2017, 04:59 PM) *
That's great news, Larry! It is a very personal instrument.

Enjoy the journey! Keep us posted!

Making sounds and every now and than can get a riff in. It reminds me of mediation
the embrochure must be right in. And that comes with practice. Stillness and
goes places inside of me that I can only observe in meditation. Real sweet instrument
and the maker made it all by hand with simple tools. He even harvested the bamboo
himself. So this is really a handmade instrument.And I am very happy.

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #25

Enjoy the journey. Most shakuhachi players are devotees to the instrument, and they spend literally years, and years, learning all of the nuances of that instrument. I could not do that, myself, but have respect for those who do.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #26

QUOTE(Windwalker @ Dec 7 2017, 08:48 PM) *
Making sounds and every now and than can get a riff in. It reminds me of mediation
the embrochure must be right in. And that comes with practice. Stillness and
goes places inside of me that I can only observe in meditation. Real sweet instrument
and the maker made it all by hand with simple tools. He even harvested the bamboo
himself. So this is really a handmade instrument.And I am very happy.

Ah, that's great!

I found that my shak won't give me any sound at all if I am tense or my mind is elsewhere. It's a really good teacher! smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Prairie Wolf   

Member No.: 1,395

Post #27

Same here. I'll try other shakuhachi I have to see if that makes a difference, and sometimes it does, more times than not, it doesn't make a big difference, so I just move on to other flutes I have, or other instruments. Sometimes, my mouth (embouchere) is nowhere to be found. LOL! laugh.gif If I am too tense or distracted I can't focus on any of my instruments - then I realize it is time for a break and to try to relax and refocus and save the playing for another day.

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Dec 8 2017, 03:23 PM) *
Ah, that's great!

I found that my shak won't give me any sound at all if I am tense or my mind is elsewhere. It's a really good teacher! smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Windwalker   

Post #28

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Dec 8 2017, 03:23 PM) *
Ah, that's great!

It’s a teacher for sure. Patience, stillness, quiet and still mind. Perseverance. Vigilante mind,attentive,
subtle breath. Many things to practice.

This post has been edited by Windwalker: Dec 8 2017, 08:20 PM

+ Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th December 2017 - 02:13 AM