Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Flute Making Forum Guidelines

Even though we encourage members to share their experience in this section, ideally we'd like to keep an "amateur" flavor to it.

If you are a novice flute maker (for example) and are looking for feedback on your first creations, or if you are an experienced professional who is assisting a new maker, that is great.

However, if you are a professional who is selling their work anywhere, then in the interest of maintaining the no selling policy of this site (both in the letter and the spirit of the law) we ask that you do not showcase your work here, even if you are not actively making a sales pitch or linking to your website. You may post technical photos that are illustrative of the principles of flute making, but please refrain from any postings that are solely for the purpose of showcasing your creations.

This will ensure that no one takes undue advantage of the open nature of this forum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Sunflower Stalk In F#

Footmandog   

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,577

Post #1

I just finished this one. This is from a stalk that had been drying since last fall. The weather here has been unusually wet, so I haven't been able to spend much time on the patio where I prefer to work. I'll post a sound clip when I get a chance.

Attached File  image.jpg ( 1.35MB ) Number of downloads: 79

Attached File  image.jpg ( 1.16MB ) Number of downloads: 36

Attached File  image.jpg ( 1.36MB ) Number of downloads: 45

A little song I captured on my looper as I was playing:
Attached File  f_sunflowerImprov.mp3 ( 4.72MB ) Number of downloads: 64

This post has been edited by Footmandog: Jan 5 2016, 10:35 PM

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Member No.: 3,105

Post #2

Nice! I can't wait to hear it!! That is really cool looking.

+ Quote Post

Steve Tervort   

Member No.: 3,474

Post #3

That is a beautiful flute.

+ Quote Post

Utah Chris   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 171

Post #4

Really fine.

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #5

footmandog, what is the diameter and inner diameter of your stalk? I may have a source to get a couple stalks this year, and I'd like to know what size to look for. Thanks!

Also, I assume you had to split the stalk and hollow it, right? Did you do that before you left it to dry or after? Thanks.

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

Joe D   

Member No.: 3,330

Post #6

FMD,

I like your new, 200 year old looking flute.

I also sit on a chair on my patio, to build plastic and Agave flutes. I form a pointed mouthpiece on the stalk with a grind disc attached to my electric drill/vise attached to the picnic table. After splitting, the pith is left at the mouthpiece.

This post has been edited by Joe D: Jun 12 2015, 09:43 AM

+ Quote Post

Footmandog   

Post #7

QUOTE(rocksncactus @ Jun 12 2015, 07:37 AM) *
footmandog, what is the diameter and inner diameter of your stalk? I may have a source to get a couple stalks this year, and I'd like to know what size to look for. Thanks!

Also, I assume you had to split the stalk and hollow it, right? Did you do that before you left it to dry or after? Thanks.

Lizabeth

This one was ~.75". I've made some from smaller diameters, a high C and a high D. I did split it but after it dried. I think if you were to split it before, the two halves would warp away from each other's shape too much.

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #8

QUOTE(Footmandog @ Jun 12 2015, 11:05 AM) *
This one was ~.75". I've made some from smaller diameters, a high C and a high D. I did split it but after it dried. I think if you were to split it before, the two halves would warp away from each other's shape too much.

That makes sense. Thanks.

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

bonefamily   

Member No.: 3,415

Post #9

Beautiful flute!!

+ Quote Post

Hawk   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 131

Post #10

QUOTE(rocksncactus @ Jun 12 2015, 10:37 AM) *

Lizabeth

Lizabeth if you have a bit and brace you can hollow a sunflower stalk quite easily without splitting it. The center of the stalk is quite pithy and soft. A bit will follow the center with out straying much at all. I have made many flutes from sunflower stalk - bore from each end leaving some of the pith for the wall between each chamber. I like to thin wood glue with a little water then pour it into the first (shortest) chamber. Once it reaches and accumulates at the wall, before any sound/playing holes are made, blow into the mouthpiece end of the stalk so that you force the glue into all the pores of the pith. Let it dry and it becomes a very solid wall. Of course you can also bore out the pith completely and insert and glue a piece of wood to make a wall. This method is a little more tricky as you need to make a good fit.

I use stalks that dry while they are still standing. Typically by January or February they have dried nicely...

+ Quote Post

Footmandog   

Post #11

Since we were discussing sunflower flutes in burning holes, I was inspired to pick up my F# sunflower flute and noodle around on it. I added the sound file above to my original post. After recording it, I realized it was a variation of a rhythm of a song I already posted on another flute. No matter, there's nothing wrong with variations on a theme. I don't know if you can hear it, but this flute as a reedy sound. All of them I have made have a reedier sound than the smooth bore wood flutes I have.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #12

QUOTE(Footmandog @ Jan 5 2016, 10:50 PM) *
Since we were discussing sunflower flutes in burning holes, I was inspired to pick up my F# sunflower flute and noodle around on it. I added the sound file above to my original post. After recording it, I realized it was a variation of a rhythm of a song I already posted on another flute. No matter, there's nothing wrong with variations on a theme. I don't know if you can hear it, but this flute as a reedy sound. All of them I have made have a reedier sound than the smooth bore wood flutes I have.

I just listened to this again after having my focus directed back to sunflower stalk flutes... It's lovely! biggrin.gif I have my seeds at the ready and just have to wait for frost potential to pass... biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 10:32 PM