Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Scott August has posted a new blog article titled "The roads in Andorra". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Forum Rules

All members are welcome to share about themselves, but there are some basic rules:

- No politics! If you spend your spare time campaigning for a political party or engage in some activity that could be interpreted as being "politically inflammatory" then this is not the place to share that. If you like to build birdhouses, then this is the place :)

- No comparative religion. If you volunteer at your local church, that is fine, but we encourage all religious reference to be non-denominational.

- All of the major site guidelines apply: Clean language and courtesy.

- Any off-site links about what you do need to meet the general criteria for acceptable site content. Inappropriate links will be removed.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» A Word Of Apology... I Guess

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,397

Post #1

I just wanted to let everyone know that things get busy around here this time of year for me. Yes, I'm no longer working, but that gives me time to
do all sorts of other things. So if I don't respond to posts or not right away, please be patient with me.

School tours have begun at the Forks of the Wabash, and October is packed with them. Two tours in particular I'm pretty excited about. They are
Miami tours, and will center on the Miami Indians.

I've also been traveling some through the week of late around IN and close to where I live as well as on the weekends.

Dad has now decided that each time we show up at the nursing home that we will be going somewhere. I try to do this at least twice a month, and
he so enjoys it.

So let's see:

Labor Day was the Tipton Powwow
The week before that was the Miami Nation of IN gathering at the Seven Pillars
After Labor Day was the Anderson Powwow
Then last weekend was the ITRA Annual Fall Ride in southern IN involving horse trail riding

Tomorrow is Pioneer Days here in Huntington
Next weekend is the Feast of the Harvest Moon, Lafayette
After that is the Fishers Renaissance Fair
Then follows Mississinawa (sorry that I botched the spelling) War of 1812 Reenactment near Marion
And last but not least is the annual Foundation Appaloosa Horse Registry Membership Meeting, Huntington this year

As you can see, my weekends are packed, and Dad and school tours are keeping me hopping. I'll stay in touch as much as I can, but retirement
or no, there's lots to do, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Ginger

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Northern Lights   

Member No.: 3,008

Post #2

Good for you that your life is so full. No apologies needed. Enjoy every moment! Stephen.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #3

Welcome to retirement, where you wonder how you ever had found the time to report to a job! laugh.gif

QUOTE(Red Hawk @ Sep 22 2017, 08:24 AM) *
I just wanted to let everyone know that things get busy around here this time of year for me. Yes, I'm no longer working, but that gives me time to
do all sorts of other things. So if I don't respond to posts or not right away, please be patient with me.

School tours have begun at the Forks of the Wabash, and October is packed with them. Two tours in particular I'm pretty excited about. They are
Miami tours, and will center on the Miami Indians.

I've also been traveling some through the week of late around IN and close to where I live as well as on the weekends.

Dad has now decided that each time we show up at the nursing home that we will be going somewhere. I try to do this at least twice a month, and
he so enjoys it.

So let's see:

Labor Day was the Tipton Powwow
The week before that was the Miami Nation of IN gathering at the Seven Pillars
After Labor Day was the Anderson Powwow
Then last weekend was the ITRA Annual Fall Ride in southern IN involving horse trail riding

Tomorrow is Pioneer Days here in Huntington
Next weekend is the Feast of the Harvest Moon, Lafayette
After that is the Fishers Renaissance Fair
Then follows Mississinawa (sorry that I botched the spelling) War of 1812 Reenactment near Marion
And last but not least is the annual Foundation Appaloosa Horse Registry Membership Meeting, Huntington this year

As you can see, my weekends are packed, and Dad and school tours are keeping me hopping. I'll stay in touch as much as I can, but retirement
or no, there's lots to do, and I'm enjoying every minute of it.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Jeremy in SC   

Member No.: 1,071

Post #4

Let's not call it an "apology"...perhaps "explanation?"

Looking forward to the busy-ness of retirement! Told a young man at the gym today that the reason I am working out now is so that I will be fit enough to enjoy retirement.

Peace,
Jeremy

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Member No.: 3,105

Post #5

Ginger:

Everyone I know who is retired says he/she is busier now than we work was still in the picture. The reason is because each of them has hobbies and interests and so has plenty of things to do to keep the brain and body going.

I am convinced the secret to living well and long after retirement is to have interests in life. The few folks I've met who -- not kidding -- died shortly after retiring had always lived for the job, never had any hobbies or interests. They retired and BAM they were gone.

Fortunately, my husband and I have so many interests that we stay busy just keeping them sorted out. They take up most of our free time, and we haven't even retired yet. I have no doubt we'll stay happily busy for many years.

It sounds to me as if you are doing the same, Ginger. You are spending quality time with your dad, and you are spending quality time fulfilling the various interests in your life. Sounds like a perfect life to me!

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #6

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Sep 22 2017, 07:22 AM) *
Welcome to retirement, where you wonder how you ever had found the time to report to a job! laugh.gif

Isn't that the truth tongue.gif . And what's amazing about the whole thing is all of it is flute related smile.gif .

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #7

QUOTE(Jeremy in SC @ Sep 22 2017, 11:17 AM) *
Let's not call it an "apology"...perhaps "explanation?"

Looking forward to the busy-ness of retirement! Told a young man at the gym today that the reason I am working out now is so that I will be fit enough to enjoy retirement.

Peace,
Jeremy

Oh I quite agree. I climbed a hill in southern IN yesterday that is 930' above sea level. That's where IN Stonehenge is located. Looks like I goofed though.
I thought yesterday was the Autumn Equinox. Oh well, I celebrated it a day early.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #8

QUOTE(rocksncactus @ Sep 22 2017, 02:02 PM) *
Ginger:

Everyone I know who is retired says he/she is busier now than we work was still in the picture. The reason is because each of them has hobbies and interests and so has plenty of things to do to keep the brain and body going.

I am convinced the secret to living well and long after retirement is to have interests in life. The few folks I've met who -- not kidding -- died shortly after retiring had always lived for the job, never had any hobbies or interests. They retired and BAM they were gone.

Fortunately, my husband and I have so many interests that we stay busy just keeping them sorted out. They take up most of our free time, and we haven't even retired yet. I have no doubt we'll stay happily busy for many years.

It sounds to me as if you are doing the same, Ginger. You are spending quality time with your dad, and you are spending quality time fulfilling the various interests in your life. Sounds like a perfect life to me!

Lizabeth

Thanks, Lizabeth. And I quite agree. I met a 91 year old woman that looked like she was in her 70s, and she said pretty much the same thing:
That if you quit reaching to fulfill your dreams--or quit having dreams to fulfill--you die. Find things to interest you, to challenge you, and go for it.
It's amazing what you can accomplish at any age.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #9

QUOTE(Northern Lights @ Sep 22 2017, 05:28 AM) *
Good for you that your life is so full. No apologies needed. Enjoy every moment! Stephen.

Oh I intend to smile.gif . There's too much out there in the world that I haven't begun to experience... and a lot of that is in my own backyard... here in Indiana I mean.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #10

That's all because of late summer / fall weather. As the season changes, that will slow down. wink.gif

We have that situation through mid-November also, but we pick and choose, what we go to, as we are older, and there's some things we no longer try to do.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #11

Yeah. When ya rest, ya rust.

QUOTE(rocksncactus @ Sep 22 2017, 05:02 PM) *
Ginger:

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th November 2017 - 12:05 AM