Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Guidelines for posting reviews: Read this before you post!

Because this a community forum, and because the Native American flute and World flute community is a small community (lots of folks know each other), it is suggested that reviews be non-destructive.

What that means is this: This forum is not in existence to allow someone to bash someones work, be it music, performance, instrument making, what have you. Always remember to ask yourself, "What if it was me being reviewed here? How would I like to be treated?"

This does not mean that constructive criticism is forbidden. If you have a legitimate, thoughtful observation to offer about someones art, then as long as it adheres to the Forums policy about courtesy and respect, it is welcome.

NOTE: In order to avoid postings that might be "commercial" in nature, we require a minimum level of forum participation before writing a review. Reviewers must have been members of the forums for at least one month and have a minimum post count of 15. This is to ensure that reviewers are writing disinterestedly as members of the community, and not joining the site just for the sake of promoting a merchant or artist.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Northern Spirits' "indigenous", based on Kevins Locke's

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,398

Post #1

Hi, friends.

It's been a long while since I've shared a review. This will be a quickie!

I recently purchased one of Rich Dube's newer offerings. Per his website:
This new mid A flute is based on a traditionally tuned flute made by James Powesheik that is over 100 years old. The original flute was passed on to Kevin Locke by his mother."

Well, like Rich's original model, the "Contemporary Minor Pentatonic", this new one is also fantastic. Other than the tuning, the two are identical - in other words, "must-haves in one's flute quiver", IMHO.

Attached is a sound clip - nuttin' fancy, just messing around. After I listened to the recording, I realized that parts of it were songs that I have played on other flutes, including an Anazasi, I think (?). As such, it is familiar in some ways, while new in others! It does lend itself to "western" music, including Amazing Grace proper without any half-holing required, but I enjoy finding the more exotic stuff waiting inside.

I have inquired about whether or not he will be offering this new tuning in a kit form (more economical), but I haven't yet heard back. I bought if from eBay, hoping to boost his ratings there!

Also on his website is a review by another player - I'll paste it here:
"I enjoy the Grandfather tuned flute since it is tuned to A major Diatonic scale. It gives me more freedom to play in major or minor or chromatic scales. I've read about this flute that it is a Replica of Kevin Locke's grandfathers flute. My flute arrived today and I am very very happy with how it sounds. It plays very well and in tune, I am used to my cedar flutes and this flute stands up to them in quality."

That's it.

Cheers,
Scott
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Indiggy.mp3 ( 2.43MB ) Number of downloads: 73

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Joe D   

Member No.: 3,330

Post #2

Thanks for posting this !

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #3

Wow, Scott! That flute has such a sweet voice! Love your playing, too!

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #4

Hopefully, the shipping was parcel post, and not ground, from Canada. Diatonic tuning is kind of, an overlooked tuning, that makes things a whole lot easier for Irish songs, Xmas songs, and pop songs. While the fingering is more difficult, it also transforms the Cherokee Morning Song into what it really should be.

I have the MGA 8 hole diatonic in A. That is a very capable flute.

+ Quote Post

Footmandog   

Member No.: 1,577

Post #5

The flute and your playing are captivating.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #6

Rich is wonderful... so is his flute, and so is your playing! Just delightful!! And expansive!!! Hugs to Rich and you, both smile.gif

+ Quote Post

bigsky   

Member No.: 236

Post #7

Beautiful playing and the flute sounds great. I've heard that they sound better than Ken Light's PF flutes... now I know! Thanks for posting this great review and MP3!

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,398

Post #8

QUOTE(bigsky @ Jul 23 2017, 01:22 PM) *
I've heard that they sound better than Ken Light's PF flutes... now I know!

Well ... "better" is really a subjective term here. I own both and they both play well. While the voices are different, with the PF sounding more raspy and very Nakai-like, and the Northern Spirits being clearer, the main difference is the tuning. The PF is close to a "standard" contemporary pentatonic, with one atypical note.

I thought I had posted a review of the PF-Series flute, with an MP3, but I don't see it ... so, I just made another quickie to attach here (no effects, no real "playing", just a dry (in every sense!) sample.

This post has been edited by MonoLoco: Jul 24 2017, 02:23 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  PF_clip.mp3 ( 5.34MB ) Number of downloads: 12

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor

Post #9

Agree, that Ken Light's ABS flute is just as good a player, but it has alternative tuning, while Rich Dube uses standard tuning, on his minor pentatonic ABS flutes. For those who might prefer the standard fingering, Rich Dube's, is preferable, and for those who can play alternative tunings without any difficulty, either would be a good choice.

For diatonic tuned flutes, I haven't encountered any alternative tunings..........just good ones, and not so good, ones.

+ Quote Post

Mark   

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 13

Post #10

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ Jul 22 2017, 12:41 PM) *
Hi, friends.

It's been a long while since I've shared a review. This will be a quickie!

I recently purchased one of Rich Dube's newer offerings. Per his website:
This new mid A flute is based on a traditionally tuned flute made by James Powesheik that is over 100 years old. The original flute was passed on to Kevin Locke by his mother."

Well, like Rich's original model, the "Contemporary Minor Pentatonic", this new one is also fantastic. Other than the tuning, the two are identical - in other words, "must-haves in one's flute quiver", IMHO.

Attached is a sound clip - nuttin' fancy, just messing around. After I listened to the recording, I realized that parts of it were songs that I have played on other flutes, including an Anazasi, I think (?). As such, it is familiar in some ways, while new in others! It does lend itself to "western" music, including Amazing Grace proper without any half-holing required, but I enjoy finding the more exotic stuff waiting inside.

I have inquired about whether or not he will be offering this new tuning in a kit form (more economical), but I haven't yet heard back. I bought if from eBay, hoping to boost his ratings there!

Also on his website is a review by another player - I'll paste it here:
"I enjoy the Grandfather tuned flute since it is tuned to A major Diatonic scale. It gives me more freedom to play in major or minor or chromatic scales. I've read about this flute that it is a Replica of Kevin Locke's grandfathers flute. My flute arrived today and I am very very happy with how it sounds. It plays very well and in tune, I am used to my cedar flutes and this flute stands up to them in quality."

That's it.

Cheers,
Scott

I enjoyed the song. Thanks for posting!

Mark

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #11

Hey, lovely Scott! smile.gif Both flutes sound delightful in your hands... and, you know how I mentioned how nice it was to hear flute player friends' voices from way over here... This is truly a delight... almost a full conversation!! smile.gif

Your 'just messing around' is wonderful and the flutes both sound great!

🌹🌹🌻❤️🌻🌹🌹

+ Quote Post

bigsky   

Member No.: 236

Post #12

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ Jul 24 2017, 01:10 PM) *
Well ... "better" is really a subjective term here. I own both and they both play well. While the voices are different, with the PF sounding more raspy and very Nakai-like, and the Northern Spirits being clearer, the main difference is the tuning. The PF is close to a "standard" contemporary pentatonic, with one atypical note.

I thought I had posted a review of the PF-Series flute, with an MP3, but I don't see it ... so, I just made another quickie to attach here (no effects, no real "playing", just a dry (in every sense!) sample.

My statement wasn't intended to be derogatory towards the PF. A poor choice of words on my part. On the contrary. I have had one for years and think it's an outstanding instrument. I am glad you posted your Northern Spirits song because I had never heard one before. I am very impressed by what I heard! In fact, I would like to add one of Mr. Dube's flutes to my quiver to provide another " texture" to my collection. Thank you Scott! I appreciate and enjoyed both of your MP3's.

This post has been edited by bigsky: Jul 24 2017, 08:34 PM

+ Quote Post

Northern Lights   

Member No.: 3,008

Post #13

Hey Rick,
Do you have to use a piper's grip on your CO diatonic 8 hole diatonic flute to reach the bottom hole? Just curious.
Stephen.

+ Quote Post

Mike   

Member No.: 89

Post #14

An interesting thing about the PF flute, and Ken Lights flutes in general is that he vales the asthetic of evenly-placed and same-sized holes, so he worked out a fingering and tuning to accommodate that aesthetic.

As for it sounding like Nakai, I am pretty sure that it was used in some of his recordings. I also have a hunch that Ken Light's fingering system influenced Nakai's choice of four sharps in his TAB system rather than three. Not quite the odd-ball alternate tuning, considering the influence it has had...

Mike

edit: the fingering is not a reason for four vs. three sharps. Turns out most flutes will play the major sixth (the note indicated by the 4th sharp on the Nakai TAB staff) if the flute is played with a "simple-system" fingering (i.e., lifting the fingers one at a time for all the holes, including the 4th hole). With all holes open, however, the octave note is sharp, so to get the note that is pleasing to western ears, the top note needs to be flattened by closing a hole below it. In the standard, popular tuning, that would be hole 4, two holes down from the top hole. With Ken Light's flutes, the top hole is larger or higher on the bore to get the equal size and spacing, so the hole one down from the top hole has to be closed (the holes that are adjacent have more influence on the pitch than those that are two or more holes lower).

According to Flutopedia, "the most common tunings of traditional Native American flutes have the notes: F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#, E (half way down this page). Turns out the F# Dorian mode has four sharps that coincide with these notes, and this mode uses the C# natural minor key signature (the natural minor scale is the Aeolian mode). So that is apparently why Nakai used four instead of three sharps...

This post has been edited by Mike: Jul 25 2017, 10:02 AM

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor

Post #15

Nope. I do use my pinky on the lowest hole, but all fingering is otherwise very comfortable, including the thumb hole.

QUOTE(Northern Lights @ Jul 25 2017, 04:32 AM) *
Hey Rick,
Do you have to use a piper's grip on your CO diatonic 8 hole diatonic flute to reach the bottom hole? Just curious.
Stephen.

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 05:36 PM