Latest Activity on the Portal:
Stephen Cumberworth has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Flute Event forum rules

This forum is for discussion of general flute events. If you are an individual who is conducting paid workshops or classes, please don't use this forum to advertise them (in fairness to other merchants who are forbidden to promote their work, websites, etc. on the forums). We will be adding an Events Calendar to the Flute Portal home page soon, and that will be the proper place for such things.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» The Traveling Flute

rocksncactus   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,105

Post #1

I'm putting this under Flute Events, because it is an event. There's a Facebook page called Native American Flute Musicians that is run by J. Michael Long. A little while back he got an idea for a project. He thought it would be neat if there was a flute that traveled from person to person, staying with each a few days, where each person would record him- or herself playing the flute in some culturally or historically significant place. The idea took root, and Ed Dougherty donated a flute to the project. It's on its way now, and I thought folks would be interested in reading about the project and viewing the videos as they are put up. The Traveling Flute project is on a separate website, so anyone can view it. And I'll just dangle this out there for you. It is hoped that this can be an annual event, and it may be that similar projects get started in Europe and other places around the world. Once you start reading about the project, you will probably be seized with a desire to be a part of it, now or in the future. The primary rule is that you must be a member of the FB page for at least six months in order to participate by receiving the flute. Everyone, however, is invited to participate in enjoying the videos. If you decide down the road to join Facebook, you are most welcome to join the Native American Flute Musicians page, and you would at some future date be eligible to be in on the adventures of the traveling flute. In the meantime, please check out the website!

Lizabeth

https://webg11.wixsite.com/thetravelingflute

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Member No.: 3,105

Post #2

Per J. Michael Long:

"The reason why you have to be a member of NAFM is two-fold, (1) It allows us to enter only those players we know are not spammers, scammers, and such from this group because they were screened when they joined. (2) Since our group sponsored the journey, it allows us a central location for our members to participate. It was their idea after all.
Of course it is used to promote this group too, one of the largest on Facebook.

But the journey is for everyone and anyone who wants to follow the web site. Right now we have about 20 participants. My hope is that by next year when we do it again, we could have twice that. Spreading the word, and link to the web site is encouraged. It invites more to join this group so they can participate later, and shows the activity & comrade our group enjoys."

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #3

Interesting idea. Seems to me, that it would appeal to only better players, and only those who can create and send videos of themselves playing the flute. While it might sound simple, there is nothing that simple about it, in my view. Not everyone is into doing that stuff.........unless they are trying to become performers, perhaps.

It would appear that the goal is to create a history of the flute, through its travels, and the uniqueness of many players, of the single flute. That will, of course, become its own reveal, after its travels.

I must admit to not being very involved with that group, myself, especially since the portal was created, and since I don't really play from sheet music, all that much, which seemed to be the main focus.

+ Quote Post

greybeard   

greybeard
Member No.: 68

Post #4

It's been a fun project so far and we have been enjoying following the flute. It's really not about the playing skills or the production value of the videos and more about connecting with others as the flute makes its way around the Country. To date it has been going well and folks have gotten into the spirit of the project. Once the flute has made it's rounds we intend to refurbish it and donate to the World Flute Society for one of their quarterly auctions. Somebody will win a flute with a story. smile.gif
Ed

+ Quote Post

Terry B   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,511

Post #5

It is a fairly active facebook group.
I am a member (for what it's worth) smile.gif
and I have enjoyed the traveling flutes little journey.
Many nice videos of it lending it's character to other characters character. laugh.gif

+ Quote Post

greybeard   

greybeard
Member No.: 68

Post #6

QUOTE(Terry B @ May 4 2017, 03:51 PM) *
It is a fairly active facebook group.
I am a member (for what it's worth) smile.gif
and I have enjoyed the traveling flutes little journey.
Many nice videos of it lending it's character to other characters character. laugh.gif

biggrin.gif Well put Terry laugh.gif

This post has been edited by greybeard: May 5 2017, 07:08 AM

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2017 - 04:28 AM