Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Breathing For People Who Struggle With Sinuses, Options to assist those who struggle breathing through the nose.

ponder   

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,939

Post #1

Hi, I struggle with sinus problems. Mostly at the end of the day I find it hard to breathe through my nose. Especially if I have been eating foods not so good for my body and if there are neighbors using wood fires.

I'm curious if there are flute player who struggle with sinus issues that make it hard to breath through the nostrils?

How do you take your breath whilst trying to play without long pauses? How does one keep their sound flowing?

I'm aiming to ask folks who know what it's like to have trouble breathing though the nose as many people just take it for granted that everyone can breath easily through the nose.

This post has been edited by ponder: Aug 26 2017, 01:10 AM

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #2

That's actually not an uncommon problem for people. Especially in high humidity, hot climates. I don't have any suggestions, for overcoming that problem, however. My wife has that problem, and deals with it, as best she can. Now and again, she gets sinus infections which require antibiotics, to get over. Along with that, she experiences vertigo, when she gets an infection, and sometimes she gets infections without any accompanying temperature, which makes it harder to get the medical profession to treat the condition properly.

Drier climates are the primary aid for the problem, but that means moving to desert areas. She had less trouble when we were in TX, but now that we have returned to the upper SC / WNC area, she has more problems, again.

Most sinus sprays, are actually addictive, and overuse of them, can actually make the condition worse, rather than better.

Some people also have allergies, which make their sinus problems worse. There are a couple of allergy medications that can be used for that, which have minimal side effects, and have been moved to over the counter availability, and can bring relief for allergies, especially in the spring and summer months.

That's as much as I can offer, in trying to overcome such problems, while playing wind instruments.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #3

QUOTE(ponder @ Aug 26 2017, 05:10 AM) *
Hi, I struggle with sinus problems. Mostly at the end of the day I find it hard to breathe through my nose. Especially if I have been eating foods not so good for my body and if there are neighbors using wood fires.

I'm curious if there are flute player who struggle with sinus issues that make it hard to breath through the nostrils?

How do you take your breath whilst trying to play without long pauses? How does one keep their sound flowing?

I'm aiming to ask folks who know what it's like to have trouble breathing though the nose as many people just take it for granted that everyone can breath easily through the nose.

Go to the store. Get saline nasal spray. It is just salt water. You can use it as often as you want. It is not addictive. It works. I used to have sinus infections and end up at the doctor for antibiotics 4 or 5 times a year. Since I've been using saline nasal spray, I have not been back to the doctor for that. It's been about 20 years.

So, just this week I was feeling the achy teeth and sinus and headachy. Got my saline nasal spray and started using it a few times a day. In a day or two, all symptoms were gone.

Seriously. I love that stuff.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #4

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Aug 26 2017, 02:00 PM) *
Go to the store. Get saline nasal spray. It is just salt water. You can use it as often as you want. It is not addictive. It works. I used to have sinus infections and end up at the doctor for antibiotics 4 or 5 times a year. Since I've been using saline nasal spray, I have not been back to the doctor for that. It's been about 20 years.

So, just this week I was feeling the achy teeth and sinus and headachy. Got my saline nasal spray and started using it a few times a day. In a day or two, all symptoms were gone.

Seriously. I love that stuff.
Same smile.gif I actually took it a step further and started using a Neti pot, because the spray didn't seem to offer me complete relief (You had an amazing response.. That's great!... I know it sounds pretty gross, and many people think its a new-age type of alternative treatment, but my dad was a general practitioner doctor, and during his service in the navy during WW2, he had a lightbulb moment and decided he must study Medicine instead of Architecture, as he wanted to save lives smile.gif Whilst docked in Bombay (Mumbai), he picked up useful medical tips from the local Unani and Ayurvedic practitioners... the Neti pot was one of those tips during that time. When I used to start to get colds, he'd tell me to sniff some salt water.. and he meant sniff a lot of it! It's not all that pleasant, but you get used to it and, for me, it clears not just the nose but the whole sinus network.. or it feels like it does... biggrin.gif

Beyond that, whilst I don't know how to do circular breathing, I have learnt to take breaths silently (a technique we use a lot in choir), and also how to control my breath... I think that also helps quite a bit when my nose is feeling blocked smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,397

Post #5

I've suffered from sinus problems since I was a kid. I've discovered that certain herbs that you can buy over the counter. Do help relieve the symptoms.
Mullein works for me though there are three or four other herbs that help too. They can be found in capsule form by Nature's Sunshine. I've been taking
mullein for years with no problems, but everyone is different. One of the other herbs may work better for you than mullein. Sorry that I can't remember
what they are off the top of my head, but they're all put out by Nature's Sunshine. One is called Four, and I think the other is Bayberry though I may
have the name wrong.

I also use an over the counter nasal spray for allergies.

I live in northeastern IN, and it can get humid around here at times. These remedies keep me clear most of the time. And it might sound silly, but
just being outside can help tremendously. Can you go someplace away from the city and take quiet walks in the woods? I find this really helps, and
discovered being shut off from nature--like when you stay inside during the winter more--can really escalate your sinus problems. Fresh air is the key.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

pfred   

Member No.: 1,988

Post #6

If you are playing, and have trouble breathing in deeply enough through your nose, then breathe through your mouth.

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 05:21 PM