Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Walking Stick Flutes

rocksncactus   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,105

Post #21

At Musical Echoes I developed a serious case of flute lust over a walking stick flute made by Brad Young. It was awesome to play! He had several different ones for sale. The one I fell for is made of butternut. I will have it someday, hopefully in the near future.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #22

Plenty of folks making those. Depends on whether you want NAF style or transverse style. Mine is from Greg White Hunt, and is transverse, in bamboo. Heavy rubber tip added to protect the bamboo, while walking.

+ Quote Post

greybeard   

greybeard
Member No.: 68

Post #23

QUOTE(rocksncactus @ May 5 2017, 03:25 PM) *
At Musical Echoes I developed a serious case of flute lust over a walking stick flute made by Brad Young. It was awesome to play! He had several different ones for sale. The one I fell for is made of butternut. I will have it someday, hopefully in the near future.

Brad makes the nicest that I've seen. They are both good walking sticks and good flutes which is a rare combination from most that I've seen. Definitely the best of both worlds.

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,398

Post #24

QUOTE(greybeard @ May 6 2017, 05:48 AM) *
Brad makes the nicest that I've seen. They are both good walking sticks and good flutes which is a rare combination from most that I've seen. Definitely the best of both worlds.

At one point, years ago, I was shopping and researching staff flutes and I had a recollection of a maker who made drone flutes "in-line" and I kinda' thought it was Mr. Young. Sure enough, it was (is!). Actually, I suppose other makers might also use the same design principle ... very practical!
I ended up with a bamboo diatonic transverse one made by Serenity Bamboo Flutes of Mass. - it was a bargain @ ~ $45 (?) ... imported Chinese bamboo, which is certainly not my preference, but it plays nicely (better than I can play it).

I saved notes on other staff-flute makers whose work I was considering when I was looking ... decided it wasn't in the budget. sad.gif
Below are my notes, and pics ...

**Colyn Petersen - Woodland Voices Flutes
... approx 50" ... Key of E or F, $350 (now increased to $445)
He puts a wrapped grip at the top, capped, with a side-blown design below the grip.

** Brad Young - 4 Winds
... similar to Colyn's design, but also makes drone!

**Fallen Branch
... Amos puts the flute part at the top (end-blown), with the grip BELOW the flute itself. They are very long and must have their tips touch the earth at an angle when playing!

** Cedars Song Flutes - Jim Adams
... I believe it was he, but I'm not sure because he no longer seems to be advertising, who basically incorporated a slightly modified standard flute that slipped over a tenon atop a solid wood walking stick - it could then be pinned in place with a removable pin.

This post has been edited by MonoLoco: May 6 2017, 07:06 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Brad_Young_stafflutes.jpg ( 112.52K ) Number of downloads: 12
Attached File  Woodland_Voices.jpg ( 194.9K ) Number of downloads: 11
Attached File  Fallen_Branch.jpg ( 107.44K ) Number of downloads: 14

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #25

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ May 6 2017, 07:05 AM) *
**Fallen Branch
... Amos puts the flute part at the top (end-blown), with the grip BELOW the flute itself. They are very long and must have their tips touch the earth at an angle when playing!

That is very cool!!!!! I love that it must touch the Earth biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #26

QUOTE(greybeard @ May 6 2017, 05:48 AM) *

That they are.

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #27

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ May 6 2017, 07:05 AM) *
At one point, years ago, I was shopping and researching staff flutes and I had a recollection of a maker who made drone flutes "in-line" and I kinda' thought it was Mr. Young. Sure enough, it was (is!). Actually, I suppose other makers might also use the same design principle ... very practical!
I ended up with a bamboo diatonic transverse one made by Serenity Bamboo Flutes of Mass. - it was a bargain @ ~ $45 (?) ... imported Chinese bamboo, which is certainly not my preference, but it plays nicely (better than I can play it).

I saved notes on other staff-flute makers whose work I was considering when I was looking ... decided it wasn't in the budget. sad.gif
Below are my notes, and pics ...

**Colyn Petersen - Woodland Voices Flutes
... approx 50" ... Key of E or F, $350 (now increased to $445)
He puts a wrapped grip at the top, capped, with a side-blown design below the grip.

** Brad Young - 4 Winds
... similar to Colyn's design, but also makes drone!

**Fallen Branch
** Cedars Song Flutes - Jim Adams
... I believe it was he, but I'm not sure because he no longer seems to be advertising, who basically incorporated a slightly modified standard flute that slipped over a tenon atop a solid wood walking stick - it could then be pinned in place with a removable pin.

The Brad Young that I want looks like the top flute in the photo but butternut. Another one that he had there was walnut, not a drone. I commented that it was heavy, and he said something that made good sense. He said it's a walking stick. Rest the end on the ground or a rock while you play. Those flutes are excellent players!

The drones are really cool. The drone is to the left side of the mouthpiece, and when you blow that part you really hear it because the SAC is right by your ear. But it's quite pleasant. I know he sold at least one drone on Sunday, because I saw a young woman carrying it and stopped and talked to her. She was so stoked to have that flute!

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2017 - 11:20 PM