Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Please read these guidelines before posting!

We don't want to put any heavy-handed restrictions on the content of this forum, but we would like to try to confine it to issues that are either directly connected to the flute community and its members, or at least have some tangible connection to the flute in a general sense. There are many worthy causes in the world, and even though we might all want to help victims of a typhoon in Asia, for example, we can't necessarily play host to such a cause here without it having some tie-in to flutes or to the flute-related activities of a site member in support of this cause. There are simply too many people in need, and in many cases these other causes have their own venues where folks are bringing attention to them.

Please confine all such issues to this forum alone and do not post about them in other sections of the forum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Joseph Firecrow Facing Major Surgery

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,398

Post #1

Hi, folks.

Perhaps it is common knowledge at this point ... perhaps not.

As a flute enthusiast, I occasionally panic when considering the possibility of loosing use of my fingers. What a terrible thing it would be, to not be able to play my beloved flutes. As such, I am pretty careful with my digits. And yet, I am just a hobbyist. If I were making my living with the flute, I'd be even more paranoid about it.

Joseph FireCrow has a lung disease and will require a bilateral lung transplant - such awful news.
I've worried about my fingers, but, gosh, who ever thinks about their lungs failing? (as a non-smokers, I never have ... or had, until now.) I can't imagine the emotional weight such a diagnosis brings. I was on the heart transplant list for a year and a half before I recovered well enough to be able to keep my native heart, and I was mentally OK with needing a new heart. And yet, I don't know why, but had it been new lungs I needed, I think I would have had a harder time with it. And so, I just wanted to let y'all know about Joseph, in case you didn't. I know the power of prayer, and I know the folks here will send some good ones his way.

Dana Ross has some info. about it on his FaceBook page ... below is a cut-n-paste from that:

Dana Ross
April 3
PLEASE HELP US ASSIST JOSEPH FIRECROW WITH HIS MEDICAL & TRANSPORTATION COSTS
Lifetime Achievement Award Recipient, Multiple Award winner, and Grammy nominee for his recording "Cheyenne Nation", Joseph FireCrow is in need of your assistance. He is on the waiting list for a bilateral lung transplant. He has a disease called Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis, which his Mother passed from in 2011, and is hereditary. Doctors indicate that surgery should be within the next few months. Joseph and his wife Joann will face numerous costs for the upcoming surgery, and required travel and accommodations. We are asking for your prayers and any donation you can make to help.

You can also purchase Joseph's award-winning music at CDBaby.com or at www.josephfirecrow.com
https://www.nativeamericanmusicawards.com/music-association

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,398

Post #2

Joseph lost his battle yesterday - in the end, he was also needing a heart transplant.
Not all angels play harps - some play flutes!

R.I.P., Joseph - I'll always see your smile when I hear your songs.

This post has been edited by MonoLoco: Jul 12 2017, 01:18 PM

+ Quote Post

Utah Chris   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 171

Post #3

A great loss. I heard him play once in the twilight at Zion as the hawk soared overhead.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #4

Sorry to hear this.

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #5

The prognosis was not good, which I was already aware of. Sadly this news was not unexpected.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #6

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ Jul 12 2017, 07:33 AM) *
Joseph lost his battle yesterday - in the end, he was also needing a heart transplant.
Not all angels splay harps - some play flutes!

R.I.P., Joseph - I'll always see your smile when I hear songs.

That leaves a hole in the NAF world. I enjoyed the times I got to visit with Joseph. He was a kind and talented person; very approachable and and friendly.

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 12:22 PM