Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Scott August has posted a new blog article titled "The roads in Andorra". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Mp3 Of Proposed "sinagua Overtone" Flute

Joe D   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,330

Post #1

I will be discussing this proposed Sinagua Overtone flute with a federal archaeologist in 3 weeks or less depending on his availability. In 3 weeks he will be forced to talk to me on a Hohokam rock art/pueblo hike.

The flute is a prototype 41 inch long, .8 " dia., D#3, no finger holes

The background information for this proposed flute evolved solely from this thread:

http://forums.fluteportal.com/index.php?showtopic=12746

This post has been edited by Joe D: Apr 28 2017, 10:29 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Sinagua_Overtone_flute__D_3.mp3 ( 1.07MB ) Number of downloads: 49

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Gerard   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 314

Post #2

Thanks. It will be interesting to hear what the archaeologist says!

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #3

QUOTE(Joe D @ Apr 29 2017, 01:22 AM) *
I will be discussing this proposed Sinagua Overtone flute with a federal archaeologist in 3 weeks or less depending on his availability. In 3 weeks he will be forced to talk to me on a Hohokam rock art/pueblo hike

"Forced"?🤔

+ Quote Post

Joe D   

Post #4

Keith,

I can be annoying like that when I am pushing an agenda.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #5

OK, but please don't use my MP3 to push it. I made it (and the Pete flute) to discuss a theory; not to annoy an archaeologist. 🤡

QUOTE(Joe D @ Apr 30 2017, 12:30 AM) *
Keith,

I can be annoying like that when I am pushing an agenda.

+ Quote Post

Joe D   

Post #6

Keith,

I will not need the MP3s. The Sinagua Overtone flute makes a good hiking stick and because it is plastic, I do not care if it looks abused at the foot end.

PS I thought that was funny about annoying the archaeologist, I will double annoy him now.

This post has been edited by Joe D: Apr 30 2017, 09:23 AM

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #7

QUOTE(Joe D @ Apr 30 2017, 12:01 PM) *
Keith,

I will not need the MP3s. The Sinagua Overtone flute makes a good hiking stick and because it is plastic, I do not care if it looks abused at the foot end.

PS I thought that was funny about annoying the archaeologist, I will double annoy him now.

Oh, I get it. The archaeologist is a pal of yours, eh? Then that should be fun! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You could have some real fun with him by "planting" a really weird agave flute at the site before ya'll hike there. You know, sift some dirt over a partially covered "artifact".

My niece just had a destination wedding at Sonoma last week. My 6 year old nephew bought two "tourist arrowheads" at a souvenir shop and hid them at the place they were staying. He then "discovered" them, announcing his findings with great excitement. That little toot had 8 adults on their hands and knees looking for more! laugh.gif laugh.gif I'm keeping my eye on that little rascal! unsure.gif

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #8

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Apr 30 2017, 09:55 PM) *
Oh, I get it. The archaeologist is a pal of yours, eh? Then that should be fun! laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

You could have some real fun with him by "planting" a really weird agave flute at the site before ya'll hike there. You know, sift some dirt over a partially covered "artifact".

My niece just had a destination wedding at Sonoma last week. My 6 year old nephew bought two "tourist arrowheads" at a souvenir shop and hid them at the place they were staying. He then "discovered" them, announcing his findings with great excitement. That little toot had 8 adults on their hands and knees looking for more! laugh.gif laugh.gif I'm keeping my eye on that little rascal! unsure.gif

Hm . . . sounds like he's taking after his uncle . . . laugh.gif
Save

+ Quote Post

Joe D   

Post #9

Keith,

I have had kids came from the jungle in S. Mexico at Monte Alban trying to sell dirty looking fake artifacts in the mid 1970s.

Went on the guided hike with a retired archaeologist. He had eight 4WD vehicles on this expediton. It was a brutal hike because of the rocky cliffs, sun intensity and heat (are you sure there was a solar eclipse yesterday it never occurred to anyone ? ) . I was stung twice by wasp types. My son removed the stingers with tweezers. The scent of my very old bug spray may have angered them. Plenty of petroglyphs seen and high grass concealing pueblo walls. Someone found a finger bone which the archaeologist had him put back where he found it.

The archaeologist asked how an overtone flute can change notes without finger holes but he was familiar with the Anasazi flutes in museums. He was not familiar with the playing and building of the Anasazi flute. He did say that the idea (of one handed flute players seen on rock art are likely playing an overtone flute) is a very interesting concept.

This post has been edited by Joe D: May 22 2017, 12:15 PM

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #10

You were looking for that eclipse on May 21...three months early, Joe. The big event is on August 21. Even where you live, you'll still see it, but it will be partial rather than total. It will be during your monsoon season, but if skies are clear, here's a link to what you can expect to see:

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/phoenix

But for the bugs, your expedition sounds like a success. The overtone flute does sound like an interesting concept. It's also a likely possibility. Keep "digging"...you might be able to find evidence that someday moves it from theory to proven fact.

QUOTE(Joe D @ May 22 2017, 02:59 PM) *
Keith,

I have had kids came from the jungle in S. Mexico at Monte Alban trying to sell dirty looking fake artifacts in the mid 1970s.

Went on the guided hike with a retired archaeologist. He had eight 4WD vehicles on this expediton. It was a brutal hike because of the rocky cliffs, sun intensity and heat (are you sure there was a solar eclipse yesterday it never occurred to anyone ? ) . I was stung twice by wasp types. My son removed the stingers with tweezers. The scent of my very old bug spray may have angered them. Plenty of petroglyphs seen and high grass concealing pueblo walls. Someone found a finger bone which the archaeologist had him put back where he found it.

The archaeologist asked how an overtone flute can change notes without finger holes but he was familiar with the Anasazi flutes in museums. He was not familiar with the playing and building of the Anasazi flute. He did say that the idea (of one handed flute players seen on rock art are likely playing an overtone flute) is a very interesting concept.

+ Quote Post

Joe D   

Post #11

Keith,

Another total brain eclipse on my part which explains why no weird ground shadowing was seen. Thanks for the location specific link.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #12

QUOTE(Joe D @ May 22 2017, 05:54 PM) *
Keith,

Another total brain eclipse on my part which explains why no weird ground shadowing was seen. Thanks for the location specific link.

Ah! You know of the shadows! People pay so much attention to what's skyward in an eclipse that many aren't aware of what happens on the ground under a tree!

A pinhole camera is a simple camera without a lens. It focuses an image by how light travels through a small opening (the pinhole). The overlapping of thousands of leaves in a tree effectively creates many such "pinholes" that focus the sun's image on the ground. It's not so noticeable when then sun is round...just splotches on the ground. But when the sun is in crescent form, as in an eclipse, the effect is impressive. (see photo)

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: May 22 2017, 05:14 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  EclipseProjection.jpg ( 173.46K ) Number of downloads: 14

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #13

Well, I have to wait until late Jan next year for a total eclipse of the Moon, and until April 2023 for a partial eclipse of the Sun... No point getting too excited just yet biggrin.gif

I'll be thinking of you Northern Hemisphere-ans, though. I do remember one solar eclipse, almost total, in my much earlier years, maybe early high school, though. smile.gif

This post has been edited by shewhoflutesincaves: May 22 2017, 07:48 PM

+ Quote Post

Mike   

Member No.: 89

Post #14

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ May 22 2017, 05:11 PM) *
Ah! You know of the shadows! People pay so much attention to what's skyward in an eclipse that many aren't aware of what happens on the ground under a tree!

A pinhole camera is a simple camera without a lens. It focuses an image by how light travels through a small opening (the pinhole). The overlapping of thousands of leaves in a tree effectively creates many such "pinholes" that focus the sun's image on the ground. It's not so noticeable when then sun is round...just splotches on the ground. But when the sun is in crescent form, as in an eclipse, the effect is impressive. (see photo)

That's so cool! A video as the dappled eclipse images develop, dance across the ground, and diminish would be awesome, especially set to flute music. Something to think about when the time comes later this summer...

Mike

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #15

QUOTE(Mike @ May 23 2017, 06:00 PM) *
That's so cool! A video as the dappled eclipse images develop, dance across the ground, and diminish would be awesome, especially set to flute music. Something to think about when the time comes later this summer...

Mike

Mike,

I put the response to this in the "Sun Show" thread in the Body, Mind, and Spirit section.

Keith

+ Quote Post

Joe D   

Post #16

Here is the Anasazi rock art that first got me thinking why a flute would be played with one hand.

This post has been edited by Joe D: May 30 2017, 05:48 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Petrified_Forest_Anasazi_player.jpg ( 156.96K ) Number of downloads: 11

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st November 2017 - 02:09 AM