Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Flute Making Forum Guidelines

Even though we encourage members to share their experience in this section, ideally we'd like to keep an "amateur" flavor to it.

If you are a novice flute maker (for example) and are looking for feedback on your first creations, or if you are an experienced professional who is assisting a new maker, that is great.

However, if you are a professional who is selling their work anywhere, then in the interest of maintaining the no selling policy of this site (both in the letter and the spirit of the law) we ask that you do not showcase your work here, even if you are not actively making a sales pitch or linking to your website. You may post technical photos that are illustrative of the principles of flute making, but please refrain from any postings that are solely for the purpose of showcasing your creations.

This will ensure that no one takes undue advantage of the open nature of this forum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» So.... I Made A Flute, Sort of.... :)

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #1

Hello all smile.gif

So, after many months of saying that I was going to make a flute, I actually did.... sort of smile.gif

I ordered a little kit flute from Charlie at Blue Bear Flutes, and asked for the one with just the blanks routed and shaped to the round, leaving the actual voicing of the flute to myself.

The flute is a sweet little WRC F#, which looked like this but with no holes to be seen on it... just a routed out split cylinder. http://www.bluebearflutes.com/product-page...lute-making-kit

After a bit of sanding, gluing, filing, whittling, more sanding, burning, and filing it became a flute.

After lots and lots and lots of reading over the last couple of years, I honestly had a vague idea of what to do but nothing too mathematical, and certainly not logical in the earlier part... I didn't even think about drawing a line or even looking carefully to line up fingers holes neatly biggrin.gif I didn't use any fancy algorithm but simply lined up my flit flute with an A with a similar bore and put the holes just a little lower down the flute and ever so slightly further apart..

I completely forgot to put my own hands on the flute to place the holes somewhere that would suit my own fingering style, too... blink.gif

I guess most of my reading had been done with emphasis on the detailing, the fiddly bits like what to do it the channel was too deep and the flute too breathy, or the flute jumping, so a lot of my time was spent on the really fine work of creating the voice.. I ended up with a gently-voiced little flute, which I initially thought sounded too muted. Because of that, I did muck about poking and prodding it here and there rather too much seeking perfection, and in the process overworked it and thought it was firewood... ohmy.gif I reworked it again, more cautiously, and even though one hole is too big and the bird has to sit forward more than is common, I have a flute!!! Yay..

I'm not really calling it my first flute, because Charlie made the bones of it and my hubby grabbed it and whittled the mouthpiece before I realised (I had asked him to help me run through it smile.gif), so I strictly voiced it, and that's all...

I'm on the lookout for the best of my saved branches to start creating flute bodies so i can learn more...

It's fun! I think it could very easily get as addictive as buying them (truly!), if not more so (truly!!!) biggrin.gif

Oh, I should point out, right here, that it's still not perfectly voiced... far from it!! biggrin.gif, and I'm certainly on my L plates for a very long time, but I know I will be practising hard! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by shewhoflutesincaves: Sep 19 2017, 03:44 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  B_B_kit_flute_.jpg ( 1.2MB ) Number of downloads: 33

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #2

QUOTE(shewhoflutesincaves @ Sep 19 2017, 05:13 PM) *
Hello all smile.gif

So, after many months of saying that I was going to make a flute, I actually did.... sort of smile.gif

I ordered a little kit flute from Charlie at Blue Bear Flutes, and asked for the one with just the blanks routed and shaped to the round, leaving the actual voicing of the flute to myself.

The flute is a sweet little WRC F#, which looked like this but with no holes to be seen on it... just a routed out split cylinder. http://www.bluebearflutes.com/product-page...lute-making-kit

After a bit of sanding, gluing, filing, whittling, more sanding, burning, and filing it became a flute.

After lots and lots and lots of reading over the last couple of years, I honestly had a vague idea of what to do but nothing too mathematical, and certainly not logical in the earlier part... I didn't even think about drawing a line or even looking carefully to line up fingers holes neatly biggrin.gif I didn't use any fancy algorithm but simply lined up my flit flute with an A with a similar bore and put the holes just a little lower down the flute and ever so slightly further apart..

I completely forgot to put my own hands on the flute to place the holes somewhere that would suit my own fingering style, too... blink.gif

I guess most of my reading had been done with emphasis on the detailing, the fiddly bits like what to do it the channel was too deep and the flute too breathy, or the flute jumping, so a lot of my time was spent on the really fine work of creating the voice.. I ended up with a gently-voiced little flute, which I initially thought sounded too muted. Because of that, I did muck about poking and prodding it here and there rather too much seeking perfection, and in the process overworked it and thought it was firewood... ohmy.gif I reworked it again, more cautiously, and even though one hole is too big and the bird has to sit forward more than is common, I have a flute!!! Yay..

I'm not really calling it my first flute, because Charlie made the bones of it and my hubby grabbed it and whittled the mouthpiece before I realised (I had asked him to help me run through it smile.gif), so I strictly voiced it, and that's all...

I'm on the lookout for the best of my saved branches to start creating flute bodies so i can learn more...

It's fun! I think it could very easily get as addictive as buying them (truly!), if not more so (truly!!!) biggrin.gif

Oh, I should point out, right here, that it's still not perfectly voiced... far from it!! biggrin.gif, and I'm certainly on my L plates for a very long time, but I know I will be practising hard! biggrin.gif

Well done, Linnie. Congratulations!!! 👍🏼

+ Quote Post

Footmandog   

Member No.: 1,577

Post #3

Congratulations! You are the one who breathed life into the flute so I think it is fair to call it your creation. Even if don't consider it all yours, you are a major collaborator which still makes you a creator.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #4

QUOTE(Footmandog @ Sep 19 2017, 08:49 PM) *
Congratulations! You are the one who breathed life into the flute so I think it is fair to call it your creation. Even if don't consider it all yours, you are a major collaborator which still makes you a creator.
I enjoy your take on it very much. biggrin.gif Thank you smile.gif The next one will be wholly mine, though.. just so I know that i'm learning all aspects of the craft smile.gif

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Sep 19 2017, 06:09 PM) *
Well done, Linnie. Congratulations!!! 👍🏼
Thank you, Keith. I had that little kit flute for ages, and thought it was just chicken of me to not just get started... It's very fun!!! smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #5

Making flutes is more of a calling, I think. I made one in river cane, with the help of an instructor, and that was enough for me. It plays fine, but because of the river cane block being curved, I never got it to seat perfectly, so it leaks a little air around the block.

Hope you will enjoy making them, if that's what you want to do.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #6

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ Sep 20 2017, 03:44 AM) *
Making flutes is more of a calling, I think. I made one in river cane, with the help of an instructor, and that was enough for me. It plays fine, but because of the river cane block being curved, I never got it to seat perfectly, so it leaks a little air around the block.

Hope you will enjoy making them, if that's what you want to do.

Thanks, Rick.. I'm pretty sure that's what I want to do biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

crow feather   

Member No.: 3,380

Post #7

Congratulations you finally did it. Enjoy your New journey on flute making ,it will be exciting and a lot of fun.What will be your next Flute. Crow

+ Quote Post

Terry B   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,511

Post #8

Good for you!
Keep having fun!
I would like to hear it sometime if you can upload a sound sample.
See....now I'm curious.....look what you did smile.gif

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #9

QUOTE(crow feather @ Sep 20 2017, 06:13 PM) *
Congratulations you finally did it. Enjoy your New journey on flute making ,it will be exciting and a lot of fun.What will be your next Flute. Crow
Thank you, crow feather smile.gif It's very exciting to have taken my first steps... I've packed a whole little suitcase of my hand tools, and a few bits of random branches/bamboo, and hope to find the perfect driftwood, too, so maybe I'll have a second flute and a second sound file biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Terry B @ Sep 20 2017, 09:23 PM) *
Good for you!
Keep having fun!
I would like to hear it sometime if you can upload a sound sample.
See....now I'm curious.....look what you did smile.gif
Thank you, Terry B. I will post a sound file when I'm home from camping... really need to be packing now biggrin.gif Will be back biggrin.gif

Thank you both for your encouragement smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Brother Cavefish   

Member No.: 3,378

Post #10

did it work , how did it sound, , my first one was amazing it is such a joy to make an instrument for music from a piece of wood, a piece of something that grows from the ground , natures things, Gods creation, and it makes music and brings feeling and joys and accomplishment

+ Quote Post

Roberta   

Member No.: 3,341

Post #11

QUOTE(shewhoflutesincaves @ Sep 19 2017, 03:13 PM) *
Hello all smile.gif

Wow! Linnie! Congratulations! What a sense of accomplishment you must be feeling!

+ Quote Post

Pine Knot   

Member No.: 3,288

Post #12

Very nice!

QUOTE(shewhoflutesincaves @ Sep 19 2017, 03:13 PM) *
Hello all smile.gif

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #13

Thank you, Pine Knot biggrin.gif It's a very mellow little flute... which still needs further adjustments to its voice to be anywhere near 'perfect'.. but although I aspired to perfection, I knew I wouldn't achieve it..

Lots of driftwood gathered recently will give me ample opportunity to practice further smile.gif I just have to get home to that driftwood and my tools before I can start biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 09:34 PM