Latest Activity on the Portal:
Stephen Cumberworth has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Hand Held American Indian Drums, Painting the Head?

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,397

Post #1

I have what some people call a buffalo drum. This is a 16 1/2" in diameter & 2 1/2" thick frame drum made to be hit with a beater. I've been reading
a lot on how to use this drum for meditation and spiritual healing, and it's been suggested to paint the drum with symbols or animal totems that
relate closely with you. This is something I'd like to do with my drum while using it for meditation purposes and to release any pent up emotions
that might be bothering me. It's a great stress reliever in this respect.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to paint my drum without damaging the head (my drum head is animal hide--I think possibly white tail deer)
and not have the paint chip off from playing it?

Ginger

Okay, I just read this and see I didn't explain myself very well. What I want to know is what kind of paint to use that won't hurt the head and won't
chip or flake off when hit with the beater. Does that sound better tongue.gif wink.gif ?

This post has been edited by Red Hawk: Jun 9 2017, 06:24 PM

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #2

You will likely need leather dyes, rather than paints, for that use, but should be able to find info for that on line, as it is a very common practice.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #3

I use paint pens on the drums I make; the porous tipped kind you get at arts and crafts stores. The flexible acrylic paint in them comes in a wide variety of colors and is quite tough. It won't flake or chip off, but it might eventually wear a bit if you're beating the same spot on the drum. At that point, you can just get out the pen and do some touch up. The paint will not "bleed" into the fibrous leather at the edges of your design, and it won't harm the rawhide. Here's a pic of one...

QUOTE(Red Hawk @ Jun 9 2017, 04:23 PM) *
I have what some people call a buffalo drum. This is a 16 1/2" in diameter & 2 1/2" thick frame drum made to be hit with a beater. I've been reading
a lot on how to use this drum for meditation and spiritual healing, and it's been suggested to paint the drum with symbols or animal totems that
relate closely with you. This is something I'd like to do with my drum while using it for meditation purposes and to release any pent up emotions
that might be bothering me. It's a great stress reliever in this respect.

So, does anyone have any suggestions on how to paint my drum without damaging the head (my drum head is animal hide--I think possibly white tail deer)
and not have the paint chip off from playing it?

Ginger

Okay, I just read this and see I didn't explain myself very well. What I want to know is what kind of paint to use that won't hurt the head and won't
chip or flake off when hit with the beater. Does that sound better tongue.gif wink.gif ?

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Jun 10 2017, 04:43 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  frameDRUM.jpg ( 360.96K ) Number of downloads: 24

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #4

Oil base or water base, Keith? They come both ways.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #5

Use the acrylic paint pens. They're water based. Liquitex® is a good brand and can be ordered from Michael's or Amazon.

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ Jun 10 2017, 09:11 AM) *
Oil base or water base, Keith? They come both ways.

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Jun 10 2017, 07:22 AM

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,397

Post #6

Thanks for the info, gentlemen.
And Keith; I'll check into those acrylic paint pens. Love the design on the drum pic you sent smile.gif .

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2017 - 12:45 PM