Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Micro Cube Gx

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 1,398

Post #1

Hi, all.

I was playing at a local library last night, as folks arrived and got seated for a showing of "Awake, A Dream From Standing Rock". My beloved Roland Micro Cube (original version) started misbehaving - the sound would fade in and out. At first, I thought I was simple drifting off-mic too much, but it wasn't me ... the amp was not happy. I don't know if it the amp, itself, or the OEM power supply (was using AC), or maybe even the mic, or a cable (?).
I will have to de-bug it later.

I am wondering, depending upon the cost of any potential repairs, if I might be better off getting a new one. I see that the newer version of the Micro Cube, the GX, has a bit more power and I am wondering if it it as good sounding, when using a microphone specifically, as the original. I read somewhere that the mic input was designed for Karaoke mics. I don't know if Karaoke mics are Low-Z or Hi-Z (?).

Can anyone tell me their experiences with using a mic on the newer Micro Cube GX ... especially compared to original Micro Cube? Thanks!

- Scott

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #2

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ Aug 18 2017, 07:46 AM) *
Hi, all.

I was playing at a local library last night, as folks arrived and got seated for a showing of "Awake, A Dream From Standing Rock". My beloved Roland Micro Cube (original version) started misbehaving - the sound would fade in and out. At first, I thought I was simple drifting off-mic too much, but it wasn't me ... the amp was not happy. I don't know if it the amp, itself, or the OEM power supply (was using AC), or maybe even the mic, or a cable (?).
I will have to de-bug it later.

I am wondering, depending upon the cost of any potential repairs, if I might be better off getting a new one. I see that the newer version of the Micro Cube, the GX, has a bit more power and I am wondering if it it as good sounding, when using a microphone specifically, as the original. I read somewhere that the mic input was designed for Karaoke mics. I don't know if Karaoke mics are Low-Z or Hi-Z (?).

Can anyone tell me their experiences with using a mic on the newer Micro Cube GX ... especially compared to original Micro Cube? Thanks!

- Scott
I can't help you with that query, lovely Scott, but just wanted to thank you for reminding me about this film. I've watched the trailer and need to see the film all the way through although I know it will be painful in the extreme. (I can't even watch The Bentley Effect, which relives our own local moment standing off against the powers that wanna be... )... I need to watch Awake... though!!! Best of luck with your mic...but I bet the audience loved what they did hear. smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #3

Don't know the answer, Scott, but my Micro Cube has been harder to get smooth pick up out of it, the last couple of times I have been to flute circle as well. I run mine on batteries, rather than AC, but it sounds as though my problem may be similar to yours.

Right now, I have regular air conditioning problems which are far more pressing, so I am unlikely to do any troubleshooting on the amp right away.

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,398

Post #4

Rick, I ran mine for a couple of hours at home last night, on AC, and it was stable. Of course, this one "test" means nothing, but it "could" mean that the AC feed at the library was fluctuating or otherwise out-of-sorts. Well, I'm optimistic anyway! I played a lot last night and experimented with all the settings - boy, that little sucker sounds so good for such a convenient package ... I sure hope I can resolve its issue (if, indeed, it has one!!!)
YouTube is a wonderful tool for DIYers, as so many sharing folks post tutorial videos of ... well, just about anything and everything these days. I have seen a couple of videos that show how easy it is to access the guts of the Micro Cube, mainly to replace the input jack (which is a common point of failure when the plastic housing of the jack splits apart). I have always wanted to do the "mod" to my Cube that adds a toggle switch which allows the REC OUT jack to either be used as: A- stock (whereby using it silences the output of the Cube ... because it also serves as the Headphone Out) or, B- as a means to Daisy-Chain a 2nd Cube and have the sound come out of both. If my problem returns (and it turns out not to be the library's AC outlet), I think I will do this Daisy-Chain modification and take a peek inside. I don't know much about electronics, so I won't be able to measure voltages and resistances and such, but if I see something obviously wrong, like a swollen capacitor, or charred component, I am solder iron savvy and can swap components.
Other than the isolated fading in-n-out incident, the Cube has been reliable and even when it was flaky it sounded fine (when sound still came out!). Other users have reported that their speakers became "farty" over time - I imagine they push their Cubes a lot harder than we do and it takes its toll on the little speakers. These other folks replace the stock 5" speaker with a 6" speaker - I won't do that mod unless the speaker is found to be damaged when I have her opened up. Still, there are YouTube videos on doing that, too!
I will keep you in mind if I find any problem and resolution and let you know. Until then, Good Luck with your problems ... both the Cube and the Air Conditioning ... and God Bless ya' if those are your only ones!

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #5

Well, you just never know. Last night when I discovered the AC had stopped working, I turned off the thermostat, and turned it back on, with no result. After doing it again today, it came on. I may have a thermostat problem. We have also had a weird power problem, in the immediate area, affecting a lot of people, where the power will go off, anywhere from a couple of seconds to half an hour, without any known cause. Power company claims they can't find any problem. That has, caused my thermostat to change its setting, more than once. That can't be good for most electronics, in general, when it has been occurring every day or two, for several weeks.

Now I can turn my attention to my amp, and see if it really has a problem, or not. While I have had it a good while, I have always used it with batteries, and had no problems, until the last couple of uses. It has, however, always been very picky about where it was, in relation to the mic stand. I do know that players have to be conscious of getting the flute in the right proximity to the mic, and change that, with flute changes, as needed. Another thought comes to mind, that AC circulation could actually have a contribution to a potential sound problem, with overhead air vents in commercial buildings, perhaps impacting on how the mic picks up. That is why I need to check mine at home, where I have floor vents. I do know that can impact on video.

I haven't had any such issues with my FX shoulder system.

Hope your problem turns out to be nothing.

This post has been edited by Rick McDaniel: Aug 19 2017, 10:05 AM

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 09:26 PM