Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Scott August has posted a new blog article titled "The roads in Andorra". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» First Lady Of The Flute, Mary Youngblood's in da house!

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 75

Post #41

Not a lot of performers who spend time on here. Ronald Roybal has probably been one of the more consistent pop-ins, here, from the performance level. Although Jeff performs a lot, and I might be wrong, I don't think he is performing as a full time professional musician. That is another level, and the musicians seek out other musicians, to jam with.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #42

This is a great thread to resurrect! (Thanks, Linnie!) I recently made a matched pair of NAFs for my 14 year old granddaughter and me. This weekend, I'm giving her some some lessons on playing. This thread reminded me of Mary Youngblood's song, "Beneath the Raven Moon." With a little simplifying of the melody, it's a perfect song for teaching a NAF newbie. It reinforces that a NAF song does not have to start (or end) on the flute's fundamental note. It also has a well defined melody that gives some focus to something other than improv playing. Still, it teaches a feel for how to improvise, especially in moving beyond the simplified melody line.

Long story short, the kid is picking up on it right quick! Nice to have a budding female NAF player inspired by the First Lady of the Flute. smile.gif

PS...As a side note, we discovered something about our new flutes, they both have a fairly strong warble!

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: May 26 2017, 06:04 PM

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #43

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ May 23 2017, 04:01 AM) *
Not a lot of performers who spend time on here. Ronald Roybal has probably been one of the more consistent pop-ins, here, from the performance level. Although Jeff performs a lot, and I might be wrong, I don't think he is performing as a full time professional musician. That is another level, and the musicians seek out other musicians, to jam with.
Yes, I expect serious performers might find time too much of a stretch to hang around the portal for toooooo long biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ May 26 2017, 05:57 PM) *
This is a great thread to resurrect! (Thanks, Linnie!) I recently made a matched pair of NAFs for my 14 year old granddaughter and me. This weekend, I'm giving her some some lessons on playing. This thread reminded me of Mary Youngblood's song, "Beneath the Raven Moon." With a little simplifying of the melody, it's a perfect song for teaching a NAF newbie. It reinforces that a NAF song does not have to start (or end) on the flute's fundamental note. It also has a well defined melody that gives some focus to something other than improv playing. Still, it teaches a feel for how to improvise, especially in moving beyond the simplified melody line.

Long story short, the kid is picking up on it right quick! Nice to have a budding female NAF player inspired by the First Lady of the Flute. smile.gif

PS...As a side note, we discovered something about our new flutes, they both have a fairly strong warble!
My pleasure... glad the renewal triggered a memory for you.

Yes... I continue to bounce my improv playing off a MY springboard, on occasion... smile.gif

Cool... Twin warbling flutes for you and granddaughter sound very fun, Keith biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 11th December 2017 - 07:25 AM