Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Forum Guidelines

Even though we encourage members to share their experience in this section, ideally we'd like to keep an "amateur" flavor to it.

If you are a novice instrument maker and are looking for feedback on your first creations, or if you are an experienced professional who is assisting a new maker, that is great.

However, if you are a professional who is selling their work anywhere, then in the interest of maintaining the no selling policy of this site (both in the letter and the spirit of the law) we ask that you do not showcase your work here, even if you are not actively making a sales pitch or linking to your website. You may post technical photos that are illustrative of the principles of instrument making, but please refrain from any postings that are solely for the purpose of showcasing your creations.

This will ensure that no one takes undue advantage of the open nature of this forum.

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Material - Does It Influence The Sound Or Not?, Some say yes, some say no :)

Mike   

Group: Members
Member No.: 89

Post #21

This just in: a new paper published in the Journal of the Acoustical Society, "Acoustic dissipation in wooden pipes of different species used in wind instrument making: An experimental study" by Henri Boutin, Sandie Le Conte, Stéphane Vaiedelich, Benoit Fabre, and Jean-Loïc Le Carrou.

They tested unfinished African blackwood, pear wood, boxwood, and maple (both aligned with the grain and at 60 degrees to the grain). They measured the losses, which affects the Q, which in turn affects the timbre. the results were that the blackwood had the least loss, followed by pear, boxwood, and straight maple, and then the maple bored 60 degrees to the grain. The 60-degree maple was significantly lossier than the others, and the blackwood was clearly less lossy than the group of pear, boxwood, and maple. Polishing (sanding to about 800 grit) improved all of them by a small factor. The use of any finish, including oiling the bore, was not part of the tests (raw wood only).

The bottom line was that the more porous the wood, the more acoustic loss was measured.

No soft woods were considered as are often used in NAsFs (especially big ones). I would be curious how western redcedar would perform, for instance. I would also like to see results from finished bores. The technique is well documented in the paper, and it may be something worth trying.

Mike

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #22

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ Mar 1 2014, 09:38 AM) *
I find makers like to talk with makers..........and players like to talk with players.........and so on. The motivations are often very different, between the groups. I have even found that players like to "break out" into smaller groups of common interest, at gatherings.
I like talking with many Portal folk, players and makers, but i actually become more excited by, and chase up more enthusiastically, conversations with makers. I guess there are many amongst us who are not makers, in this moment, but who believe they may, one day, become one, if and when they get brave enough to take that branch, or that blank, and actually start drilling or chiselling into it! Makers who are generous with their own experience and knowledge are a boon for us!

There are lovely people aplenty on this site, of course! biggrin.gif

I've offered my opinion re timbers and their timbres before, but that comes with no technical knowledge at al, so I'm not the right person to answer. smile.gif smile.gif

This post has been edited by shewhoflutesincaves: May 5 2017, 02:02 AM

+ Quote Post

Gerard   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 314

Post #23

I am not a flute maker at all - wouldn't know how to do it. No ambitions either. But as a player, I am convinced the material matters. Personally I am fond of Cedar especially aromatic cedar. But in some occasions I would take the same key flute in Walnut for example. Not because one is better than the other. They are different to play and differnt to listen to.

So yes, I hear a difference. But that said, the player is of course much more important than the material. As someone said here, some can get almost anything to sound good.

+ Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 05:30 PM