Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Members may post instructional materials or free notation for shakuhachi flute, providing that they are either the author of the material or have the permission of the author.

Please respect copyrighted material and do not post it here without permission. The Flute Portal cannot be responsible for checking the status of all material posted, so it is up to the members to post in a responsible manner.

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» A Wealth Of Shakuhachi Music

Bainn   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,685

Post #21

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Apr 12 2017, 02:54 PM) *

Another good find Tootie !

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Bainn   

Post #22

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Apr 13 2017, 07:49 AM) *
Just saw where Bainn found "Shakuhachi : Japanese Bamboo Flute" by Masayuki Koga on ebay and You (Barry) said it was perhaps the best introductory book.

Are these books written in English?

Hola amigo !

I got lucky with my copy - Undamaged 2nd hand copy at a fraction of the cost of a new copy, seen some interesting prices for this manual.

Yes, it is written in English, good guide in my humble opinion.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #23

QUOTE(Bainn @ Apr 13 2017, 12:53 PM) *
Hola amigo !

I got lucky with my copy - Undamaged 2nd hand copy at a fraction of the cost of a new copy, seen some interesting prices for this manual.

Yes, it is written in English, good guide in my humble opinion.

Thanks for the info! biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

BarryG   

Member No.: 3,819

Post #24

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Apr 13 2017, 07:49 AM) *
Just saw where Bainn found "Shakuhachi : Japanese Bamboo Flute" by Masayuki Koga on ebay and You (Barry) said it was perhaps the best introductory book.

Are these books written in English?

Blasdel's book is very good, but if you're only going to have one book, I strongly encourage you to get Koga's book in the spiral/ring/comb bound format because it will easily sit on a music stand and it also comes with a CD of Koga playing all the songs. Yes, it's in English. It features highly legible kinko notation for the songs. But you need to specifically search for the spiral bound edition on Amazon or eBay - it's well worth the extra money over the regular bound edition.

Also, please have a look at my Web site for beginner tips. The two main focuses of the site are learning techniques as a beginner and zen Shakuhachi. I'm continually adding links to new Shakuhachi info I find on the internet.

This post has been edited by BarryG: Apr 14 2017, 03:46 AM

+ Quote Post

BarryG   

Member No.: 3,819

Post #25

FWIW, I also recommend eventually picking up Annals of the International Shakuhachi Society Volume 1 and Volume 2. They're amazing reference books. Volume 1 includes An Introductory Manual For Kinko-Ryu Honkyoku by Robert Grous.

Tokuyama's book might be worth getting. I'm very curious - please report back if you pick it up.

I don't have Schlefer's book so cannot comment on it. I assume it's practice exercises and I find it pretty easy to naturally come up with my own practice exercises. But it could also be very good and helpful, I just don't know.

This post has been edited by BarryG: Apr 14 2017, 03:44 AM

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor

Post #26

QUOTE(BarryG @ Apr 14 2017, 06:57 AM) *
Blasdel's book is very good, but if you're only going to have one book, I strongly encourage you to get Koga's book in the spiral/ring/comb bound format because it will easily sit on a music stand and it also comes with a CD of Koga playing all the songs. Yes, it's in English. It features highly legible kinko notation for the songs. But you need to specifically search for the spiral bound edition on Amazon or eBay - it's well worth the extra money over the regular bound edition.

OK, I will look for the Koga book. Monty has it on his website and does the Yuu website (too much for shipping there). If I can't get it used, I will go through Monty and get it. I'll also probably get the Tokuyama book, too. Now, to decide which to get first.

This post has been edited by tootieflutie58: Apr 14 2017, 08:30 AM

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor

Post #27

QUOTE(BarryG @ Apr 14 2017, 06:57 AM) *
Also, please have a look at my Web site for beginner tips. The two main focuses of the site are learning techniques as a beginner and zen Shakuhachi. I'm continually adding links to new Shakuhachi info I find on the internet.

Wow!! Great info on your website! I've only read the first two headings (discussion forums and Shakuhachi list reprints) so far. That materials discussion was VERY interesting. Geoffrey should read that! The one guy says we aren't playing bamboo, we are playing AIR! Interesting! http://shakuhachi.wikidot.com/material

Heading back to read the First Efforts and Practice Tips now.

Thank you so much! smile.gif

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor

Post #28

So, I found the Koga book but without the CD. SO, I e-mailed Koga about getting a CD and he e-mailed me back!! I am sending a check for $13 to him and he is sending me the CD!

OK, I have to admit: I was a little star struck getting an e-mail from him! And I am NOT usually star struck by "famous" people. I get more star struck by folks I know personally who are people of integrity and character that I admire. But I got a little star struck this time. I mean - Koga - the expert shakuhachi player! Wowee! biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

Bainn   

Post #29

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Apr 16 2017, 03:54 PM) *
So, I found the Koga book but without the CD. SO, I e-mailed Koga about getting a CD and he e-mailed me back!! I am sending a check for $13 to him and he is sending me the CD!

OK, I have to admit: I was a little star struck getting an e-mail from him! And I am NOT usually star struck by "famous" people. I get more star struck by folks I know personally who are people of integrity and character that I admire. But I got a little star struck this time. I mean - Koga - the expert shakuhachi player! Wowee! biggrin.gif

Excellent smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Sunbow   

Member No.: 1,469

Post #30

Great sets of scores.
Books can help get one started.
Beside a good teacher I recommend clipping a tuner to your music stand.
You can get a descent tuner for $12 and getting the shakuhachi in tune requires a good bit of skill.
Once you are there, you could change to other temperaments or styles which do not match western equal temperament, but start with 12 EDO (equal distant notes per octave) and a tuner.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor

Post #31

QUOTE(Sunbow @ Apr 29 2017, 09:33 PM) *
Great sets of scores.
Books can help get one started.
Beside a good teacher I recommend clipping a tuner to your music stand.
You can get a descent tuner for $12 and getting the shakuhachi in tune requires a good bit of skill.
Once you are there, you could change to other temperaments or styles which do not match western equal temperament, but start with 12 EDO (equal distant notes per octave) and a tuner.

Thanks for the info. I have a tuner and have gone from playing C# to D! Yay me!!

However, I've been neglecting my shak for awhile. Work has me barely able to function by the time I get home. I need to just play it anyway. It might help with all the stress and sleep disturbances.

+ Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 12:40 PM