Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Members may post instructional materials or free notation for shakuhachi flute, providing that they are either the author of the material or have the permission of the author.

Please respect copyrighted material and do not post it here without permission. The Flute Portal cannot be responsible for checking the status of all material posted, so it is up to the members to post in a responsible manner.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Ikkyu: Murasaki No Kyoku

Dean   

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,573

Post #1

Zen Master Ikkyu (1394-1481) wrote this honkyoku, one of the most melodic of shakuhachi pieces. Here's the notation in beautiful calligraphy. Taizan-ha Sensei Morimasa Horiuchi plays Murasaki no Kyoku (Reibo) in his inimitable wind in the pines style on Youtube here at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2Ch2GfyBZ8
Attached File  Murasaki_no_Kyoku.jpg ( 1.14MB ) Number of downloads: 106

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

David Earl   

Member No.: 1,570

Post #2

Thanks Dean this is beautiful. Morimasa Horiuchi has a spirit to his playing that brings me to a very pure, traditional and integrated place each time I listen to him play.
Also lets give old man Ikkyu credit!
Very nice

+ Quote Post

Gerard   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 314

Post #3

Very special. The notation is difficult to read though wink.gif

+ Quote Post

Dean   

Post #4

Try this notation chart (and you learn Czech while you're at it) It should help you get through most of it.Let me know how that works for you...
Attached File  notace.jpg ( 87.52K ) Number of downloads: 78

+ Quote Post

mahler   

Member No.: 1,054

Post #5

Many thanks!!

+ Quote Post

cloudsounds   

Member No.: 686

Post #6

Dean,
Who's notation is that? Mori's or Ikkyu's or your's? If not Ikkyu's, is there a copy of Ikkyu's notation for this piece?

+ Quote Post

Dean   

Post #7

QUOTE(cloudsounds @ Mar 24 2011, 05:49 AM) *
Dean,
Who's notation is that? Mori's or Ikkyu's or your's? If not Ikkyu's, is there a copy of Ikkyu's notation for this piece?

David, if you can find Ikkyu's notation, please send me a copy wink.gif

+ Quote Post

cloudsounds   

Post #8

Dean,
Yeah I get it now..... laugh.gif
How can I get it before you when YOU are my source wink.gif

+ Quote Post

Mark Pimenta   

Member No.: 1,619

Post #9

Thank you very much for posting this song, but I'm pretty sure it's not the full version of the piece, to the best of my memory there is at least one line missing. Is there any chance you could post the whole song? I've always thought Tomimori Kyozan's writing was so beautiful, it's been at least ten years, maybe more, since I've seen his writing, something you never forget. Also as far as it is my understanding it has never been proven that Ikkyu wrote the piece although it is said that it was his favorite song to play.

Domo - Arigato,
Mark

+ Quote Post

Dean   

Post #10

Hi Mark, I don't think it's ever been proven that it was his favorite song to play, either. It's all just word of mouth and legend, but I dream it smile.gif And you know for sure he really didn't play a shakuhachi root end but a hitoyogiri, more of a heaven end blown flute than a root earth flute sound. Not sure where those extra lines went? Mori and I play this version. Kyozan-san was his teacher, he was the teacher for Mori-san's honkyoku calligraphy. Kyozan was well-admired for his calligraphy and presented Mori-san with some examples that are considered art, Mori-san gave one to me as pictured here: http://myoanshakuhachi.blogspot.com/2009/0...-taki-ochi.html
He also penned Mori's license here: http://myoanshakuhachi.blogspot.com/2009/0...hy-license.html
Beautiful stuff, did you see Kyozan's calligraphy in Tokyo?

This post has been edited by Dean: Mar 26 2011, 04:02 PM

+ Quote Post

Mark Pimenta   

Member No.: 1,619

Post #11

Hi Dean,

Yes I did see his writing while I was in Japan, I studied for a little while there, sorry with who and what will remain private because some of these things should be left that way, don't you think? I'm sorry, I must have misunderstood what you meant when you said in your first post that Ikkyu wrote the Honkyoku Murasaki no Kyoku, I thought you meant that he wrote it, my apologizes. But I'm pretty certain there is at least one more line to the piece, there's no end lines. Maybe you could ask your sensei for everyone's edification? Kyozan-sensei's writing is indeed very beautiful, thank you oh so very much for sharing the links. I miss being in Japan and am very saddened with what is happening over there, so very sad. Be well.

Domo - Arigato,
Mark

+ Quote Post

Dean   

Post #12

The story told to me by a few Japanese Taizan players has it Ikkyu wrote Murasaki. Sounds good to me.

This post has been edited by Dean: Mar 27 2011, 08:46 AM

+ Quote Post

cloudsounds   

Post #13

I'm with you on this one Dean.

+ Quote Post

Dean   

Post #14

Thanks Mark, for the info, I'm glad you're on the portal. Mori-san's preference for ending Murasaki no Kyoku is the first page. There is an extra line or so on the back.

The piece is attributed to Ikkyu-san, and has been a tradition, or possibly a folk tale.

Here's the rest of the notation for Murasaki no Kyoku (Reibo). The writing on the side below the title says something about a purple flower, and reibo or bell, that reminded the original transcriber of the song.
Attached File  Murasaki_No_Kyoku__Reibo_.jpg ( 2.02MB ) Number of downloads: 58

This post has been edited by Dean: Apr 1 2011, 02:17 AM

+ Quote Post

Dean   

Post #15

A history on Murasaki from Ronnie Seldin: "This piece has been attributed to the great Zen Buddhist monk, Ikkyu Zenji (also popularly known as Ikkyu-san) who lived about 400 years ago. He was known for his great intelligence, and especially for his ability to see the simple, natural way of things.
This piece compares the nature of people and clouds. It is said that the alternating movement and stillness of clouds are truly in the spirit of nature. So too, should people imitate the clouds and know when it is time to move and when it is time to be still.
"Shrinpo" (also known as "Murasaki-Reibo") is a Meian honkyoku from Daitokuji temple in Kyoto. It is played with the intention of creating an overall feeling of peacefulness."

From ISS: "This piece takes its name from a district in northern Kyoto, in which the temple of Daitokuji is located. One of Japan's most celebrated Zen priests, Ikkyu, was sent to Daitokuji as a child for his education. Ikkyu was alleged to be the illegitimate son of an emperor, and his mother is said to have been of an anti-Imperial family. Ikkyu's heritage most certainly contributed to his having a discreet upbringing. Nevertheless, we know from Ikkyu's writings that he played the shakuhachi, and indeed, nearly always carried one in his sash. Hence, the strong association of Ikkyu to Murasakino (which incidentally is also the birthplace of the Tozan school of shakuhachi), and this piece is unmistakable in its attempt to convey Ikkyu's spirit of zen. Traditionally, the composition of Murasakino-no-kyoku is attributed it Ikkyu, but this has yet to be substantiated. Ikkyu is also renowned for his poetry and calligraphy."

Ikkyu-san played a forerunner of the shakuhachi called a hitoyogiri; hito meaning one, yo being the space between two bamboo nodes, and giri meaning cut. The sound would be more flute-like, clear, and higher-pitched than a later root-end shakuhachi.

This post has been edited by Dean: Apr 1 2011, 02:18 AM

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 06:51 AM