Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Scott August has posted a new blog article titled "The roads in Andorra". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Forum Rules

This forum exists so that members can discuss more personal and/or spiritual subjects as they relate to their individual journeys or their experiences with the flute.

Members may reference their personal religious practices in context, but please no "comparative" religion here. This includes any remarks about another members religious or spiritual beliefs that can in any way be interpreted as judgmental or demeaning.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Where I Might Be On August 21st For The Eclipse

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,397

Post #1

I checked the calendar and see that the 21st is on a Monday. This is one time when being retired definitely has it's benefits. Anyway, I checked around
and see that the eclipse will be almost total (if not total) in southern IN and will take place around noon until 3pm. There's only one place I could think
of that would be absolutely perfect for eclipse viewing--Indiana Stonehenge. If at all possible, this will be my destination for viewing.

I will take precautions and don't have any inclinations to look directly at the eclipse anyway. I just think it would be wonderful to honor such an event
in such a holy place as Indiana Stonehenge. I'm planning to dance, sing, play my flutes, and do some drumming in honor of this event in honor of
the people who came before us. I doubt if I'll take any pics or videos this time. I feel strongly that electronics plain doesn't mix with places like this.
I don't want to disrespect anything and hope my visit will be accepted by those that put those huge chiseled stones there over 1000 years ago.

Ginger

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #2

I will be at work. sad.gif

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #3

Well, weather permitting, I will likely be working in the yard. If that happens during the yard work, then I suppose I might have to take a break, for a glass of tea. By then, things should return to normal.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #4

It will happen without me being aware of it, sadly, like so many other things :-o Joking, but I won't see anything as it happens at 6am, even if it was happening over here.. have fun, people..

Ginger, I am always intrigued that you are such a devoted Christian yet also show such respect to other ways and means of honouring this planet we all share. You are an interesting soul! smile.gif I think we could talk over many cuppas smile.gif

Oops, the above is simply a distraction from what i meant to write here.

It's interesting that you wrote this thread so close to the time that I was actually sitting and fluting in a circle of stones, almost a round boulder version of a Stonehenge in a NP that hubby and I went bushwalking in, just yesterday. smile.gif I was mainly keeping an eye out for caves, but was told about Tullawallal by a local woman who loves that special place. It really is beautiful and has a great vibe smile.gif Not a complete circle, and etc, but the feel of the place is very calming and special smile.gif Was difficlkt to stop fluting and continue on my way smile.gif

This post has been edited by shewhoflutesincaves: Aug 9 2017, 05:32 AM

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #5

QUOTE(Red Hawk @ Aug 8 2017, 05:08 PM) *
I checked the calendar and see that the 21st is on a Monday. This is one time when being retired definitely has it's benefits. Anyway, I checked around
and see that the eclipse will be almost total (if not total) in southern IN and will take place around noon until 3pm. There's only one place I could think
of that would be absolutely perfect for eclipse viewing--Indiana Stonehenge. If at all possible, this will be my destination for viewing.

I will take precautions and don't have any inclinations to look directly at the eclipse anyway. I just think it would be wonderful to honor such an event
in such a holy place as Indiana Stonehenge. I'm planning to dance, sing, play my flutes, and do some drumming in honor of this event in honor of
the people who came before us. I doubt if I'll take any pics or videos this time. I feel strongly that electronics plain doesn't mix with places like this.
I don't want to disrespect anything and hope my visit will be accepted by those that put those huge chiseled stones there over 1000 years ago.

Ginger

Ginger,

Indiana's Stonehenge will have an incredible partial eclipse. Here's an animation of what it will look like in Bloomington (just a few miles away):

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/bloomington-in

You are correct that any degree of partial eclipse is dangerous to observe with the "naked eye". You must use solar glasses designed for the purpose. The difference between a partial and total eclipse is, literally, like night and day. A total eclipse can be viewed directly with no filters. A partial eclipse, no matter how close to total, will not reveal certain features of a total eclipse; such as the sun's corona, Bailey's Beads, and night-like darkness. Partial and total eclipses are two entirely different experiences.

The attached map shows that totality is within a fairly short (200 miles) drive from Bloomington to Madisonville, Kentucky. If you can manage that little trip, you will not regret it! Wherever you view it, be near trees so you can see the crescent sun images that will be projected on the ground!

Attached File(s)
Attached File  eclipse_IN_KY.jpg ( 1.12MB ) Number of downloads: 4

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #6

QUOTE(shewhoflutesincaves @ Aug 9 2017, 12:42 AM) *
It will happen without me being aware of it, sadly, like so many other things :-o Joking, but I won't see anything as it happens at 6am, even if it was happening over here.. have fun, people..

Ginger, I am always intrigued that you are such a devoted Christian yet also show such respect to other ways and means of honouring this planet we all share. You are an interesting soul! smile.gif I think we could talk over many cuppas smile.gif

Oops, the above is simply a distraction from what i meant to write here.

It's interesting that you wrote this thread so close to the time that I was actually sitting and fluting in a circle of stones, almost a round boulder version of a Stonehenge in a NP that hubby and I went bushwalking in, just yesterday. smile.gif I was mainly keeping an eye out for caves, but was told about Tullawallal by a local woman who loves that special place. It really is beautiful and has a great vibe smile.gif Not a complete circle, and etc, but the feel of the place is very calming and special smile.gif Was difficlkt to stop fluting and continue on my way smile.gif

Now is that connection or what smile.gif? You and I must be kindred souls.

And yes, it would be wonderful to sit and discuss native cultures and how different faiths/beliefs can earn the respect of others. I tried twice to
write down in this post how I feel about such things, and deleted it. It's something much too personal for me to discuss on an open forum.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #7

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Aug 9 2017, 06:12 AM) *
Ginger,

Indiana's Stonehenge will have an incredible partial eclipse. Here's an animation of what it will look like in Bloomington (just a few miles away):

https://www.timeanddate.com/eclipse/in/usa/bloomington-in

You are correct that any degree of partial eclipse is dangerous to observe with the "naked eye". You must use solar glasses designed for the purpose. The difference between a partial and total eclipse is, literally, like night and day. A total eclipse can be viewed directly with no filters. A partial eclipse, no matter how close to total, will not reveal certain features of a total eclipse; such as the sun's corona, Bailey's Beads, and night-like darkness. Partial and total eclipses are two entirely different experiences.

The attached map shows that totality is within a fairly short (200 miles) drive from Bloomington to Madisonville, Kentucky. If you can manage that little trip, you will not regret it! Wherever you view it, be near trees so you can see the crescent sun images that will be projected on the ground!

Thanks for the info, Keith. Much appreciated.
Unfortunately, Indiana Stonehenge is already a long drive for me--about 2 1/2 to 3 hours worth. I'm still going and will enjoy what I can see.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #8

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ Aug 8 2017, 05:31 PM) *
Well, weather permitting, I will likely be working in the yard. If that happens during the yard work, then I suppose I might have to take a break, for a glass of tea. By then, things should return to normal.

Rick, you'll hit totality in Taylors at 2:39:10 p.m., and it will last for 1minute & 40 seconds. The build up to it will be noticeable for the hour-or-so before that.

You're lucky to be living in the path of totality. I think you'll enjoy how much different this will be than the partial eclipses you've seen before. I've decided to take only a few quick snapshots with my camera's phone. The event is too short and rare for me to fiddle around with photography during the total phase. Besides, there will be plenty off great pics of the event available.

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Aug 11 2017, 05:15 AM

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #9

QUOTE(Red Hawk @ Aug 9 2017, 06:59 AM) *
Now is that connection or what smile.gif? You and I must be kindred souls.

And yes, it would be wonderful to sit and discuss native cultures and how different faiths/beliefs can earn the respect of others. I tried twice to
write down in this post how I feel about such things, and deleted it. It's something much too personal for me to discuss on an open forum.

Ginger

biggrin.gif

I know what you mean... When i have actually sat down to write about such things, I ramble for ages in a confused jumble and then realise that I'd rather just 'know' what i mean within me, and that everyone has their own understanding etc etc, and that it isn't up for public perusal anyway...

Usually if I do attempt to share, I type so long and so slow that my post times out and is lost to the ether anyway biggrin.gif

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Aug 11 2017, 05:14 AM) *
You're lucky to be living in the path of totality.
That sounds almost mystical.... and i guess it is, being physically in that path at that time biggrin.gif
I hope you get to enjoy something spectacular re the eclipse yourself, Keith smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #10

I've been on the road quite a bit the last two days. Yesterday I drove down to Indianapolis for the Indiana Flute Circle's monthly session, and the
traffic was terrible. Much, much worse than normal. So I really doubt if I'll be traveling to Indiana Stonehenge for the eclipse. The other reason is
the heat. It's supposed to be 91F, humid, and with a 40% chance of thunderstorms at about the time of the eclipse. Not exactly what I had in mind
for a climb up a very tall hill (930 feet).

Mounds State Park is much closer and a few degrees cooler, but with the same problem with thunderstorms. Also, it won't be near as private. Hardly
anyone visits Stonehenge, and I could probably have the place to myself. Mounds has lots of visitors every year, and I would rather be someplace
with more solitude.

There's only a 30% chance of thunderstorms around here in my neck-of-the-woods. So I'm thinking about celebrating in song, dance, and meditation
right here in my own Sacred Circle in the horse pasture here at home. Viewing the eclipse probably won't happen, but I wasn't planning on doing that
anyway--and the eclipse won't be total anywhere I go either--but I should be able to experience when it happens and it gets darker. Hopefully, the
rain will hold off. Right now, there is nothing showing up in the northern half of IN on radar.

I even gave Salamonie a thought at the twin waterfall, but, again, it's visited a lot now that the DNR has publicized the place. I don't want to chance
an intrusion during my own little tribute to the eclipse.

I asked God last night in my prayers to guide me where He wanted me to be during the eclipse, because I wasn't sure where I would be or where I
should go for it. I think He's answered my prayers and wants me here... at home.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #11

Ok, It was absolutely as I expected it to be. Due to the tens of thousands of people swarming into the area, I stayed at home, all day.

It was hot..........about 92 degs., so I spent most of my afternoon, watering, as the sprinkler system is woefully inadequate for the back yard, and I have to use a hose sprinkler to water most of the back garden to the back fence. It started to darken down very slowly from about 1pm to near 2:30 pm, when it hit deep twilight, and the solar lighting all came on. That lasted for about 15 minutes, during which we ate lunch. By the time we finished lunch, it was already getting light again. The temperature only dropped about 4 degrees during the entire time.

We had no glasses for it, so we never looked at it. Of course the TV was plastered with it, from noon until bedtime last night. I expect they will still be at it, on today's newscast. The media run everything into the ground.

So, those who missed it, need not be concerned..........it was mostly hype, for everyone but the scientists, and the kids. Definitely not worth sitting out in the afternoon August heat for, for 4 hours.

I-85 was a total mess until bedtime last night, afterwards, from all the people who came just to be able to see the total eclipse, and not a partial one. That was bumper to bumper, from about 3pm, until 11pm last night, in both directions. I was glad I stayed home.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor

Post #12

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ Aug 22 2017, 07:10 AM) *
We had no glasses for it, so we never looked at it. Of course the TV was plastered with it, from noon until bedtime last night. I expect they will still be at it, on today's newscast. The media run everything into the ground.

So, those who missed it, need not be concerned..........it was mostly hype, for everyone but the scientists, and the kids. Definitely not worth sitting out in the afternoon August heat for, for 4 hours.

Too bad you never actually looked, especially living there in the path of totality. Those of us who did watch had a very different impression of the event:

http://forums.fluteportal.com/index.php?sh...rt=#entry142202

Not sure how one reviews something they didn't experience. unsure.gif

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Aug 22 2017, 09:45 AM

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #13

Heat and chance of rain kept me home yesterday. But I had a great time playing my flute and rattle (separately of course), dancing and
singing/chanting in celebration of the eclipse in my Medicine Wheel Circle formed by the trees in my horse pasture. It didn't get all that dark here
in northeastern IN, but there was enough that I knew when it was happening. And I felt rejuvenated and at peace once the light returned and felt
the time had come to leave my Circle.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th November 2017 - 04:40 PM