Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Guidelines for posting reviews: Read this before you post!

Because this a community forum, and because the Native American flute and World flute community is a small community (lots of folks know each other), it is suggested that reviews be non-destructive.

What that means is this: This forum is not in existence to allow someone to bash someones work, be it music, performance, instrument making, what have you. Always remember to ask yourself, "What if it was me being reviewed here? How would I like to be treated?"

This does not mean that constructive criticism is forbidden. If you have a legitimate, thoughtful observation to offer about someones art, then as long as it adheres to the Forums policy about courtesy and respect, it is welcome.

NOTE: In order to avoid postings that might be "commercial" in nature, we require a minimum level of forum participation before writing a review. Reviewers must have been members of the forums for at least one month and have a minimum post count of 15. This is to ensure that reviewers are writing disinterestedly as members of the community, and not joining the site just for the sake of promoting a merchant or artist.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» "in The Shuffling Madness"..., ...of a much older audience!

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 152

Post #1

I don't attend too many concerts lately, having moved out to the country. Last night was an exception when we went into Austin to see Jethro Tull perform. The tour's title is, "Jethro Tull by Ian Anderson." It's so named because, except for Anderson, the rest of the band are not original members. Still, those band members were a perfect fit for the original music. It was a spectacular show!

This many decades of flute playing have raised Ian Anderson's skills on that instrument to a stellar level. I've seen him perform a number of times, and last night was the absolute best in terms of flute virtuosity. The standard old Tull tunes were performed with crisp phrasing and flawless timing. Anderson also showcased his mastery of classical flute playing in the performance of the piece, "Bourée". I think the song's composer, J. S. Bach, would have been proud. A song from the early 16th century, "Pastyme With Good Companye," was performed in an amazing rock arrangement. The song's composer was King Henry VIII, and it oddly enough, celebrates courtly life and the joys of family. blink.gif Somehow though, I think heads may have rolled if His Majesty were to hear the screaming hot guitar solo in the piece!

With age, Anderson's voice has become noticeably weaker and has less range. His new-ish vocal style has a bit of a "storyteller" feel to it. This works for Jethro Tull's music, as the songs have always been about intriguing tales and complex people (as opposed to love songs). This seems to be the case for many rock singers, with that genre apparently taking a toll on the vocal cords. That reduction in strength and range is also detectible in recent recordings I've heard of Roger Daltrey and Rod Stewart.

I think the last date of their U.S. tour is today, so if you're anywhere near Durant, Oklahoma, this is the show to see! When I first saw Jethro Tull in my twenties, the audience was pretty young. In attending last night's show, I noticed that they are beginning to draw a much older crowd now. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Jun 1 2017, 12:11 PM

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #2

You have the advantage of being near Austin, and the strong music scene there. Most of the music in my area here, is still bluegrass, mostly by lesser known groups.

While Ian Anderson is an outstounding flautist, I am not that into vocals, so I much prefer other silver flute artists, myself, although I have a couple of his CD's.

Some of my favorites, include Tim Wheater, Nicholas Gunn, and Dean Evenson, among others. I don't expect to ever have a concert anywhere near me, of course. rolleyes.gif

+ Quote Post

greybeard   

greybeard
Member No.: 68

Post #3

Thanks for the review Keith. I saw Tull a couple times but that was back in the 70's. If comes to Raleigh I might just check him out. cool.gif

+ Quote Post

Mark   

Group: Moderator
Member No.: 13

Post #4

Good information Keith! I saw them in the early 80s. Their stage setup was a big viking ship. It was a great show. I will see if I can see them in Dallas. Thanks!

Mark

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th July 2017 - 12:23 PM