Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Videos For Beginners

BettyM   

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,839

Post #1

Been on you tube a lot learning stuff and came across this video. Thought it may be helpful for other new people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHE7lesgMlg

Was pretty excited. I think it's one of the techniques that make it sound like a NAF and not the recorder I learned in grade school.

Tried it last night and I don't sound anything like it-yet- but at least my neighbors donkey didn't start accompanying me as he's been known to do in the past.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Joe D   

Member No.: 3,330

Post #2

Betty,

Thanks, I have not seen this video before.

+ Quote Post

BettyM   

Post #3

Me either and I've been watching a lot of his videos.

I knew I was missing a biggie, and think this may be a big part of the big picture.

LOL Wasn't too concerned about it though, I figure if I keep concentrating on the basics, this "cool" stuff would start to fall into place a bit here and there. Am going to add this to my daily practice. I'll let you know if it only takes a week like he promises! ROFL

So much to learn!

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Member No.: 3,105

Post #4

Clint does awesome instructional videos. Another fellow who does some good instructionals is Keith Davis. Go to YouTube and in the search box type oldmanyow. Then click on the Playlist up in the row at the top. He has tons of videos. Some he's just playing songs that you can listen to and then try for yourself, I guess. Some he is giving instruction on playing songs. For instance, I just clicked on one where he's teaching Christmas songs. Anyway, check him out, too.

Keith is part of our flute circle down here. You'll also notice he has videos on playing two flutes at once. His nickname is "Two Flutes" because that's his specialty.

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

BettyM   

Post #5

How cool is that! I will add Keith to my playlist, thanks!

It's amazing how so many people give so much of their talent.

LOL When I listen to videos that people post on facebook I really find myself concentrating on their fingers and breath. Kind of nice to see different examples.

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 2,397

Post #6

I guess I've carried over my experiences playing clarinet in school too much into my flute playing. lol I do this technique completely different than
what is shown on this video. That being said; This is a great vid and one beginners can learn from quite easily from what I can see. Sometime when
I have more time, I'll have to watch more of this gentleman's videos.

You see, I grace note by "chirping" the finger on the note I happen to be playing. For example; if my lowest finger covers, let's say, the third hole
from the top, that's the finger I'd "chirp". It comes naturally for me to do this because that's how it was done when I played in high school band
back it the day. For those who may not know--I'm 64 years old. So that will tell you how long ago this has been blink.gif laugh.gif .

Ginger

+ Quote Post

BettyM   

Post #7

Aha!
That is my natural inclination also, I'm 58 and played the flute from 5th grade on through High school..... I did not put the two togather.

It's funny I thought reading music would come back to me faster than it is, LOL Brain just does retain info like it did before and the fingers are a lot slower. ROFL

But I'm having a blast!

Betty

+ Quote Post

BettyM   

Post #8

QUOTE(BettyM @ Dec 1 2016, 07:53 AM) *
Been on you tube a lot learning stuff and came across this video. Thought it may be helpful for other new people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHE7lesgMlg
Was pretty excited. I think it's one of the techniques that make it sound like a NAF and not the recorder I learned in grade school.

Tried it last night and I don't sound anything like it-yet- but at least my neighbors donkey didn't start accompanying me as he's been known to do in the past.

Ok I've added this to my daily practice.

Drum roll please.............................................

Wait for it.............................

I still stink at it. ROFL

Will check back in a week or so.

+ Quote Post

Brother Cavefish   

Member No.: 3,378

Post #9

lol this guy is way over dramatic, but that being said, he has some great pointers for newbies, this is a good starter for some very desired sounds from the NAF, but bare in mind some of these chirps . do not always work on certain flutes it cancels out notes ( if chirped on the 5th hole) and messes them up , but easily fixed if it becomes a issue use the next closest hole, chirps are a key element to the NAF in my opinion

This post has been edited by Brother Cavefish: Dec 13 2016, 07:33 PM

+ Quote Post

BettyM   

Post #10

Thanks for the post. I was kind of bummed out for a minute or two, I really want my playing to sound "native" and I'm not even getting a hint of it as of yet.

Still sound like I'm playing in the High School Marching band. ROFL

But that's ok, I'm going to back up my practice to the very basic, I've found some good scale type exercises, dexterity building. Am going to concentrate on that and rediscover my skill in reading sheet music, until the first of the year.

I'm going to start a few lessons the first of the year and I figure he can help me in these areas but the better I have the basics down the faster that will go. Prob be faster than having to unlearn bad habits.

It's still a blast though. I work from home for a company in Africa. When I start going nuts I just grab the flute on my desk and practice for 5 or 10 minutes. Some days I get a lot of 10 minutes in! laugh.gif

I use to train dogs in Personal Protection and tracking. When I stopped doing that I had a big chunk of time on hands. Took a couple of years to get a dog where you wanted him or her, not sure why I expected this to go faster!

+ Quote Post

Joe D   

Member No.: 3,330

Post #11

Betty,

Have you seen this video ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xUkVmq39itA

+ Quote Post

BettyM   

Post #12

I think it was one of the ones I glossed over, going back to it now.

I just want to sound like a NAF not high school band practice. ROFL

Betty

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd September 2017 - 09:07 AM