Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Discussion Of Contest Entries, This thread is for talking about the contest entries only

great blue heron   

Group: Members
Member No.: 963

Post #161

I liked the one with the owl.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Daniel G. Benes   

Member No.: 1,419

Post #162

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ Jan 8 2011, 12:06 PM) *
Here's a couple things you might not be aware of.

1. Copyright infringements go to federal courts. A copyright attorney starts at 12 grand, to take on a case. You must not only prove that infringement took place, but that you were materially damaged, by that infringement, and for how much value.

2. Most infringements are for small value amounts.

3. Getting any compensation, realisticaly, from a typical infringement, will cost you more than the attorney fees.

4. If you do not register your copyrights, you cannot collect attorney fees, in addition to the damages, even if you win your case.

5. Registering can be simple or not, depending on who you are, and what you have to register. (Registering thousands of images per year, is NOT a simple task.)

When you read the law, it sounds good. When you are infringed, and you find out what the actual details involve, it is a different story.

You're right, it's like finding out your identity has been stolen. It's horrible. I've been there and had to deal with it personally in both the music & film industries from people that I had worked with and trusted. Fortunately, cases requiring a $12,000 attorney will hopefully remain worst case scenarios. The last time I had to a hire a music industry attorney, it cost me only $280.00 for him to write a cease & desist letter plus the cost of a certified letter w/return receipt. One of my well known children's educational phonics songs had been FULLY plagiarized in another state, both the music & vocals, re-recorded to CD and SOLD by another musician at the hire of an old partner. She meant well, and just wanted the song to get out there, but I wrote, composed, played & produced it and it featured my voice. My attorney's letter included the demand that the musician cease and desist & buy back every CD that he had already sold or he would be taken to court for copyright infringement. That $280 potentially saved me tens of thousands in later damages had I not confronted my old partner early on, while the threat of legal action was still enough. In another situation, the simple signing of a 1 cent piece of printer paper in a studio session made it possible for me to keep my name as co-composer on a made-for-television song that I did 90% of the work on. The song never reached the air, but if it ever does, I win. Had I not been adamant about both of our signatures on a piece of scrap paper, I would have lost all my work.

You have to treat the publishing game a bit like walking to your car at night. You do whatever you can to not make yourself look like a target. You be the squeaky wheel and you'll get your oil. Other than that, that's all part of the game. Anyone in any business, from musician to fly-rod designer can be plagiarized, frivolously sued, and stolen from by the public & even it's own employees, friends & family. And you're right about registering 1000's of images! That does not sound like a fun evening. You sound like you have been in the business. I appreciate your additional info.

+ Quote Post

Tooter   

Member No.: 3,472

Post #163

Can someone direct me to where the songs are located?
Thanks

+ Quote Post

Geoffrey   

Admin
Group: Administrators
Member No.: 5

Post #164

QUOTE(Tooter @ Apr 12 2015, 01:41 PM) *
Can someone direct me to where the songs are located?
Thanks

Sorry, Tooter. The songs are no longer posted. The contest was five years ago and eventually the tracks were removed from the music section.

+ Quote Post

9 Pages V  « < 7 8 9
Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 10:36 PM