Latest Activity on the Portal:
Stephen Cumberworth has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Identify A Quena

willne1   

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,216

Post #1

I bought this off eBay years ago and I would like to know a little bit about it like what it's made out of and I'm really stretching it out here but maybe who it's made by. When I bought it there was no description and as far as I know it might just be a wall ornament. It does play and it seems to be in tune and is in the key of G from my testing. I am a beginner so I am not sure about anything. As an afterthought I have been searching and can't find any printable practice material like scales and arpeggios's etc. Can anyone stear me in the right direction?

This post has been edited by willne1: Jun 15 2017, 11:14 AM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  20170615_105124.jpg ( 5.12MB ) Number of downloads: 22
Attached File  20170615_105348.jpg ( 5.38MB ) Number of downloads: 16

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #2

Not sure of the wood, but it is similar to Honduras Mahogany. It is more unusual for the wraps to be inlaid. The finger holes are pretty typical for quena, as is the mouthpiece. Yes, the common key for quena is a G, with quenacho commonly being in D. Obviously, other keys are made, but those are the common ones you usually see.

I assume there is no maker marking on this one. Many are labeled, but many are not.

The tuning is straight up, diatonic tuning. The thumb hole, is the one thing that is often new to players of NAF from the U.S. Keep that closed, except when you need it, such as for an octave jump or an upper octave that needs clarity. There are times when you only want to crack the thumb hole, and other times when you need to open it completely.

These usually play better, with a "slit" type of embouchure, creating a more precise splitting effect on the blowing edge.

Hope that is of some help.

This post has been edited by Rick McDaniel: Jun 15 2017, 11:25 AM

+ Quote Post

willne1   

Post #3

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ Jun 15 2017, 11:23 AM) *
Not sure of the wood, but it is similar to Honduras Mahogany. It is more unusual for the wraps to be inlaid. The finger holes are pretty typical for quena, as is the mouthpiece. Yes, the common key for quena is a G, with quenacho commonly being in D. Obviously, other keys are made, but those are the common ones you usually see.

I assume there is no maker marking on this one. Many are labeled, but many are not.

The tuning is straight up, diatonic tuning. The thumb hole, is the one thing that is often new to players of NAF from the U.S. Keep that closed, except when you need it, such as for an octave jump or an upper octave that needs clarity. There are times when you only want to crack the thumb hole, and other times when you need to open it completely.

These usually play better, with a "slit" type of embouchure, creating a more precise splitting effect on the blowing edge.

Hope that is of some help.

Thanks Rick, I've looked everywhere and there isn't any markings anywhere. I was thinking the same as you that the wrap isn't usually inlaid and that's why I thought someone might be able to I.D it.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #4

Rick's info was spot on. It looks like it's probably a good instrument. The cheap-o souvenir models are rarely made of wood and never have that kind of detail to things like the binding wraps.

Any practice materials should be easy enough to get by googling up exercises for the recorder. Here's a good link to quena fingerings:

https://musescore.org/en/project/quena

QUOTE(willne1 @ Jun 15 2017, 02:11 PM) *
I bought this off eBay years ago and I would like to know a little bit about it like what it's made out of and I'm really stretching it out here but maybe who it's made by. When I bought it there was no description and as far as I know it might just be a wall ornament. It does play and it seems to be in tune and is in the key of G from my testing. I am a beginner so I am not sure about anything. As an afterthought I have been searching and can't find any printable practice material like scales and arpeggios's etc. Can anyone stear me in the right direction?

This post has been edited by Keith Glowka: Jun 15 2017, 01:27 PM

+ Quote Post

willne1   

Post #5

QUOTE(Keith Glowka @ Jun 15 2017, 01:26 PM) *
Rick's info was spot on. It looks like it's probably a good instrument. The cheap-o souvenir models are rarely made of wood and never have that kind of detail to things like the binding wraps.

Any practice materials should be easy enough to get by googling up exercises for the recorder. Here's a good link to quena fingerings:

https://musescore.org/en/project/quena

I hope you're right it seems like it was very well made to me. That's very good to know about the recorder, I shouldn't have any trouble at all finding exercises for that smile.gif

+ Quote Post

radhamohan   

Member No.: 2,917

Post #6

It doesn't look like a cheap quena. I bet it plays very well.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #7

It looks like a nice quena.

Here is a link to some music and some instruction. It isn't in English but I actually copied the info into google translate and then pasted it into a word doc.

http://quenaperu.blogspot.com/2008/12/partituras.html

Google "quena lesson videos" and you will get lots of videos.

This post has been edited by tootieflutie58: Jun 16 2017, 11:20 PM

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #8

Fingering chart: https://www.quenamall.com/pages/quena-fingering-chart

+ Quote Post

willne1   

Post #9

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Jun 16 2017, 11:22 PM) *

Thanks for the links and the tip about pasting into a word document works good. My experience is with a regular silver C flute and it's confusing trying to learn the Quena fingerings, especially the notes below the staff blink.gif

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2017 - 12:48 PM