Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Flute Care - Cloth & Oil, What and where to by cleaning cloth and oil

ponder   

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,939

Post #1

I finally did it. I just made an online purchase. My first NAF and accessories.

I decided just to go with Odell Borg's High Spirits flutes. 432 HZ EARTHTONE "A" - WALNUT - with the additional 'continuing your flute journey' instructions, a swede padded flue bag, Flute Stand and of course a flute care kit.

The flute care kit is what promoted me to make this post.

In the instructional video where is shows how one is to cut the micro fiber sheets, I was wondering what I could use when I eventually run out. Also I was thinking the same for the oil. I'd like to buy locally or at least purchase online in my own country; Australia.

Any ideas on what and where to buy micro fiber and oil for the just of cleaning the flute without having to buy a whole cleaning kit again?

TIA.

~Dave.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #2

Dave, that depends on what your local sources are. Here, you can get the micro fiber cloth from Harbor Freight tools. Whether you have those in Australia or not, I can't say. Just look for a good supplier of hand tools and other related stuff.

I don't know that you need much oil, as Odell's flutes appear to have an exterior hard shell finish. Oil might just make that "tacky". You can oil the bore, to protect the wood, I suppose. You will need a non-rancid oil, like walnut oil, available in most grocery stores, here in the states, and a gun cleaning rod, and cleaning patches. Simply apply the oil in the bore with the gun rod and a patch, and you only need a light coat. Then remove the excess after a few hours, with a clean patch. (Never leave any excess, as that can build up and create its own problems.)

You can use a pipe cleaner (larger ones are available from craft stores), to oil the SAC, but don't put an excessive amount of oil in the SAC. You only need a very light coat, and be sure to remove any excess, after a few hours, with clean pipe cleaners. Many makers seal their SAC, so you need to look at whether the wood appears to be raw in the SAC, first.

You only need to do that, about once a year, in average climate, or twice a year, if the climate is quite dry.

Other than that, a little beeswax conditioner, around the mouth piece, is about all you need, once a week to once a month, depending on how much you play, to keep the mouthpiece in good shape from the moisture.

Hard shell finishes, like most tables, only need an occasional hard shell waxing, with a good quality wax, like Renaissance wax. It doesn't take a lot, to do a good job. Once or twice a year, should be adequate. You want a wax that dries to a hard shell surface, and doesn't remain soft and tacky on the surface of the flute. Avoid waxes that are general table waxes, as they can contain some harsher ingredients, you don't want on your lips.

If you play any single flute extensively, you may want to clean out the SAC occasionally, to be sure that you don't get mold in the SAC, with a mild solution of bleach, but that's mostly if you don't allow the flute to dry properly, on a daily basis, or if you are in a wet climate.

Keeping flutes in good condition, is less complicated than most think, but bamboo flutes do require more care. Bamboo flutes that don't have a hard shell finish (some do), can be oiled on the exterior as well. Remove any excess after a few hours, and buff the exterior to remove any residual tackiness of the oil. Bamboo needs care at least twice a year, or more often in dry climates.

Each maker, tends to have their own recommendations for care of their flutes, so you should follow their recommendations, when possible, as there are various finishes being used by different makers, some of which will be hard shell, and need minimal exterior care, while others will have less durable finishes, and will need some care.

Most flutes will acquire a few minor dings and things, over time, even if you care for them well. That is pretty similar to the usual wear and tear on table surfaces. That's simply the nature of wood.

Hope that helps. I'm sure makers will also have some advice.

+ Quote Post

ponder   

Post #3

Thank you Rick for such a detailed response. Between the video and your information, I now feel comfortable with this process.

I chose the harder wood walnut for durability, but like you say, I understand just like my new car of old, it will no doubt develop character along the way. : ) I just want to be a little more ritualistic with my flute as I don’t care for my car that much. Perhaps reverent a better word for me.

I live on the east coast of Australia where it can at times become hot and humid with a few relative dry periods in between. I was hoping the flute stand I purchased might assist with airing the bore out. During the hotter and more humid months of the year we have the air conditioner on. (wife suffers from MS and needs it on otherwise I could suffice without it.)

I almost went a plastic flute do to living on the coast. I really have no idea just how detrimental it is for coast dwellers owning a flute? I am sure I will know soon after the first two years.

Srry to go on:

The Flute Care Kit I purchased comes with everything you mentioned. (screw together 3 piece gun like cleaner; but no Pipe cleaner)

Since your reply I think I have the oil supply now worked out, and now wax. Good call on the wax and relevance to using on hard finishes.

The micro fibre cloth you mention? Is it easy to cut into small patches?

Once again … thank you very much for such a detailed response. Feeling comfortable about the process makes me feel a lot better about this purchase. I still doubt my ability to play. I have a weak memory and will have to learn this instrument solely by feel. Alas, that’s another story.

Thanks again.

Much appreciated
~ Dave.

This post has been edited by ponder: Sep 27 2017, 11:16 AM

+ Quote Post

Roberta   

Member No.: 3,341

Post #4

QUOTE(ponder @ Sep 27 2017, 02:29 AM) *

I decided just to go with Odell Borg's High Spirits flutes. 432 HZ EARTHTONE "A" - WALNUT - with the additional 'continuing your flute journey' instructions, a swede padded flue bag, Flute Stand and of course a flute care kit.

In the instructional video where is shows how one is to cut the micro fiber sheets, I was wondering what I could use when I eventually run out. Also I was thinking the same for the oil. I'd like to buy locally or at least purchase online in my own country; Australia.

Any ideas on what and where to buy micro fiber and oil for the just of cleaning the flute without having to buy a whole cleaning kit again?

TIA.

~Dave.

Hi Dave,
Congratulations on beginning what I imagine will be a beautiful journey!

I can only give you input on two of your questions, because I have not used oil on any of my flutes.

My process when Iím finished playing a flute is as follows:
1. Remove the totem/block and see if thereís any moisture on the undersurface. If so, dry it with a soft, small microfiber cloth.
2. Swab the inside of the mouthpiece, the slow air chamber and the true sound hole
with a swab from Amazon (described below).
3. Wipe the entire flute body with another clean microfiber cloth.
4. Leave it to dry for several hours before replacing the totem.

Product Details: Both Available from Amazon.com
1. Puritan Foam Over Cotton Swab, Large Tip, 6 in. Poly Shaft, 50/Bag - for large mouthpieces

2. Puritan Foam Over Cotton Swab, Small Tip, 6 in. Poly Shaft, 50/Bag - for small mouthpieces

* Extra Absorbent And Non-Abrasive Foam Tip Swabs are made from Medical Grade Polyurethane Foam With 100 Ppi (Pores Per Square Inch) -Shred Resistant To Stand Up To The Toughest Scrubbing.
* Inner Cotton Core Provides Extra Absorbency And Padding.
* Soft, Non-Abrasive And Lint Free.
* Tip Size: 25.4Mm (1In.) L X 9.525Mm (0.375In.) D. Overall Length: 155.575Mm (6.125In.)
* Semi-Flexible Polypropylene Shaft. Packaged: 50 Foam Over Cotton Swabs Per Bag. Made In Usa. Puritan Foam Over Cotton Swab

3. ColorYourLife 10-Pack Microfiber Cleaning Cloths for Apple iPad, Tablets, Lenses, LCD monitor, TV,..

* 10 Pack microfiber cleaning cloths in 5 colors
* Premium microfiber material is ideal for cleaning Tablets, LCD screens, glasses and optics
* Easy cleaner, remove dust, dirt, oil, smudge and fingerprints
* Fine soft cloth for cleaning delicate devices
* Ships in ColorYourLife retail packaging

You may eventually own a flute that has a narrow slit for the mouthpiece which cannot accommodate either size swab. For that case, Iíll pass on a piece of advice I got from our dear friend and marvelous flute maker, Stephen DeRuby: Cut a piece of relatively stiff paper into strips the width of the slit. Slide the paper in and out several times and it will pick up any moisture thatís in there.

Wishing you much happiness with your new flute,
Roberta

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Member No.: 3,105

Post #5

Dave:

Congratulations! You're going to love your flute journey. Remember that you're not in competition with anyone; your progress is your own, so the rate at which you progress matters not a whit. Playing what comes into your head from your heart is a most pleasurable way in which to play. Just go with it.

I bought the High Spirits cleaning kit because I have a variety of flutes with a variety of finishes, some of them old, and the old ones especially I felt needed interior oiling and cleaning. In some of the older ones the wood was quite dry. I don't have a HS with the hard shell finish. I cut two narrow strips with scissors, one for applying the oil and the other for follow-up swabbing out to remove any excess that is left after it sits a while. The remainder of the cloth is for the exterior, one large piece for wiping oil on -- you really won't need to do that to the exterior of yours -- and the other for removing any excess.

They don't say so in the instructions, but you can wash the microfiber cloth! Do y'all have a dishwashing soap like Dawn down there? I ask because it is fabulous for cleaning oil and grease stains/residue. I will be washing my cloths, all the pieces by hand in the sink with the Dawn to clean them and then letting them dry. I figure I can reuse them for quite a long period of time.

Cheers!

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #6

Use the micro fiber for cleaning, more than oiling. You can get them in a utility size, about like the old mechanic's hand towels that service stations used to use, when they actually provided service. Mine come in a big bundle, that last for months, and are washable.

Use a lint free cloth (very inexpensive) for oiling that you can get at hardware and paint stores, and cut it into the patches, or into small wiping sizes, for oiling. That way, you can simply dispose of the used ones, when finished.

If you have a need to use linseed oil, on a flute (one that was finished that way), be sure to use the right kind, preferably from the flute maker, or according to the flute maker's specs. That would only be used on the exterior of the flute, as it is actually a finish, and not just an oil.

If you have a unfinished flute, and would like to finish it, you can use salad bowl finish for that purpose, by applying several coats (6 or more), allow to dry between coats, and then smooth the finish with 4 ought steel wool, in between each coat, being careful to wipe down the surface, cleanly, before applying the next coat. After about 6 coats, you will end up with a glassy like, finish, that will make the wood pop, and make your flute look great.

None of this stuff is hard, but it can get to be time consuming if you have a lot of flutes.

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #7

Well, the SAC is probably sealed, so I wouldn't fret much about that. Microfiber cloth is available at auto parts shops and at most home improvement stores...common stuff. If you want to oil the SAC and/or bore, consider vitamin E oil, which is available at health food stores. It's a good flute oil and has antibacterial properties.

It all depends on how heavily you play that particular flute. I rarely bother with oiling and fussing over my flutes. But then, I have a number of them, so no one flute gets played on a super-frequent basis. If you're playing that flute exclusively and often, go for the occasional light coating of vitamin E oil. Mostly, though, don't worry about it, unless you live in an extremely hot-and-dry environment like Alice Springs! 🐪🐪🐫🐪 If that's the case, then oil aweigh, mate. Just be sure to wipe off the excess after it dries a bit. Oil can certainly be over applied.

K

QUOTE(ponder @ Sep 27 2017, 05:29 AM) *

TIA.

~Dave.

+ Quote Post

Brother Cavefish   

Member No.: 3,378

Post #8

best stuff on the market- or sweet almond oil

http://doctorsprod.com/cbuy/bore-doctor-1year-supply

as far as cleaning the flute, i would use Tee shirts, the micro fiber will get snagged on Odels flutes, on the inside, , stick with Tee.s

+ Quote Post

Utah Chris   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 171

Post #9

I live in a very dry climate, so I concur with Keith. I oil and wax only once a year or possibly twice for well-used flutes. The only caveat I have is that if the barrel is unfinished it should stay that way; that is, no oil or wax. It's too easy to alter the pitch of the entire flute by inserting too much finishing material into the barrel (or in the sac for that matter). I believe it increases the density of the wood, driving the pitch lower. I overdid this with two flutes and it took many months for them to return to their designated pitch.

QUOTE(Brother Cavefish @ Sep 29 2017, 05:58 PM) *
best stuff on the market- or sweet almond oil

http://doctorsprod.com/cbuy/bore-doctor-1year-supply
as far as cleaning the flute, i would use Tee shirts, the micro fiber will get snagged on Odels flutes, on the inside, , stick with Tee.s

+ Quote Post

Brother Cavefish   

Post #10

Odells flute are rough on the inside, personally i smooth sanded the inside barrel, and oiled it,, with a very light oil,
never really felt the need to wax the inside.
Oiling in general, if the flutes accepts it well, (density wise), will darken the flute a little, for about a week, personally i love dark flutes i like a warm spread sound more than projection--thus i also lower the airflow path to the TSH, i chisel it down about 2mm, as to divide the air better,,
my airflow goes through the totems channel and a channel in the flute itself, truly splitting the air at the windcutter,

This post has been edited by Brother Cavefish: Oct 2 2017, 08:56 AM

+ Quote Post

ponder   

Post #11

Thanks for the replies ... hints and tips. My flute arrived today. Very happy with it. I've already taken the fetish off to check if it was to wet after playing. I think I don't really need to take it off after every session ... at least that is what I am thinking now. I have been following Odell's advice re flicking the flute if I feel my mouth has become a little to moist.

I must concur with BrotherCavefish and say the the flute I received from High Spirits does seem a little rough on the inside. It also seems to have quite a bit of dust/fluff/lint like particle in there are well + a few bits of something else. Very hard to photograph but that description is good enough for me. It also feels a little brittle 'on the inside.' The outside has quite a solid feel) I can tell its had some oiling ... but not sure how long ago, it might actually take some more given that brittle rough kind of feel on the inside. That said, I don't beleive I will go to the trouble of sanding just yet as it really does play very nicely; but that's coming from someone who's never play a flute in his life.

I'll put it through its paces as a learner to be sure. Again ... I am happy with the sound as is. I might clean it a few months from now and then maybe 6 months after that. I'll just use the flute care kit I got from high spirits for now.

All in all I think its a fantastic beginners flute. I also like the earthy look to it and the two inlaid moon stones.

Again ... thanks for all the hints and tips.

Much appreciated.

I dare say I will soon have plenty more questions soon enough. smile.gif

This post has been edited by ponder: Oct 4 2017, 01:48 AM

+ Quote Post

Brother Cavefish   

Post #12

QUOTE(ponder @ Oct 4 2017, 02:44 AM) *
Thanks for the replies ... hints and tips. My flute arrived today. Very happy with it. I've already taken the fetish off to check if it was to wet after playing. I think I don't really need to take it off after every session ... at least that is what I am thinking now. I have been following Odell's advice re flicking the flute if I feel my mouth has become a little to moist.

I must concur with BrotherCavefish and say the the flute I received from High Spirits does seem a little rough on the inside. It also seems to have quite a bit of dust/fluff/lint like particle in there are well + a few bits of something else. Very hard to photograph but that description is good enough for me. It also feels a little brittle 'on the inside.' The outside has quite a solid feel) I can tell its had some oiling ... but not sure how long ago, it might actually take some more given that brittle rough kind of feel on the inside. That said, I don't beleive I will go to the trouble of sanding just yet as it really does play very nicely; but that's coming from someone who's never play a flute in his life.

I'll put it through its paces as a learner to be sure. Again ... I am happy with the sound as is. I might clean it a few months from now and then maybe 6 months after that. I'll just use the flute care kit I got from high spirits for now.

All in all I think its a fantastic beginners flute. I also like the earthy look to it and the two inlaid moon stones.

Again ... thanks for all the hints and tips.

Much appreciated.

I dare say I will soon have plenty more questions soon enough. smile.gif

hey friend they are a great beginner flute, Odel has a good system for mass produced NAFs, i am a fanatic though, i go through his flutes and retune them , just a little, i like the 432hz models, but some of his flutes buzz so i modify the wind channel , but you can see how the flute care kit can be a pain in the butt, the roughness will catch lint, even a decent sand with get lint, so this is why i use T-shirts, less lint- any who

Attached File(s)
Attached File  20161010_173945.jpg ( 3.21MB ) Number of downloads: 6

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th October 2017 - 09:18 PM