Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Mackie Free Play, I'm brand spanking new to this sort of thing

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,397

Post #1

This video:

https://youtu.be/0xsCKxNwPzA

demonstrates the very first PA system I've ever bought. I plan to use it for live performances and for doing videos to put on my you tube channel.
The thing is I know absolutely zilch about these things. I pretty much understand what is being explained except for a couple things. Mainly what is
meant by "channel 1" and "channel 2"? Anyone want to fill me in? Any comments about this device are very much welcome. I'm a clean slate and
eager to learn. Anybody got a PA systems for Dummies book handy blink.gif rolleyes.gif wink.gif ?

One last note: I don't own a smart phone, nor do I want one. Would a laptop work in place of a smart phone like is used in the demo?... not that
I understand exactly how that works either.

Ginger

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,398

Post #2

Multiple channels allow for multiple inputs ... nice if playing with another musician, say a keyboard player.
Also, a soloist could have a vocal mic in one channel and his/her guitar plugged into another. For us, one channel could be for our microphone (flute) and the other channel could be for an MP3 player with backing tracks.

Most laptops have a headphone jack - you could run a line from a laptop's headphone jack to the Input 3 of the FreePlay to play your backing tracks (using your laptop as a giant MP3 player!).

As far as using the app that controls the features ... uhm ... that app communicates to the FreePlay via a smartphone's BlueTooth feature. I don't know if they offer a PC version of the software (?). I know there are PC bluetooth adapters that should be able to handle the "hardware" aspect ... but the software might not be compatible - that's a good question to eMail to Mackie!

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #3

Thank you very much for the reply ML. Greatly appreciated. After I posted, I gave the channel thing more thought and figured that must be what it
was for like you said. Give me time and I'll catch on. I just got done playing around with it and had some fun.

I forgot about the Bluetooth thing. You're right in that I'm not sure how that would work without a smart phone.
Ahhhhh the joys of modern technology laugh.gif .

Ginger

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #4

Good on you for serious aspirations, Ginger... and good on you for coming to a fellow fluter's assistance again, Scott smile.gif

Blessings to you both, And I hope you can make it work as you want it to, Ginger smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Red Hawk   

Top Contributor

Post #5

QUOTE(shewhoflutesincaves @ Jun 12 2017, 07:43 PM) *
Good on you for serious aspirations, Ginger... and good on you for coming to a fellow fluter's assistance again, Scott smile.gif

Blessings to you both, And I hope you can make it work as you want it to, Ginger smile.gif

Thanks Linnie. It's just going to take time. I also know personally a few people who are stage performers. Some of them use Mackies and
swear by them. One of these persons was who guided me to the Mackie Free Play I have now. Good friends are worth more than their weight
in gold... including all my good friends here on the flute portal.

Ginger

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #6

Hello and hello... Every now and then when I pop in to see who's offering what guidance etc here on the portal I glance down and see that I'm in good company when I've landed at a particular post... Just a quick wave to Scott biggrin.gif

And Ginger!

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
2 User(s) are reading this topic (2 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 10:32 PM