Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Flute Making Forum Guidelines

Even though we encourage members to share their experience in this section, ideally we'd like to keep an "amateur" flavor to it.

If you are a novice flute maker (for example) and are looking for feedback on your first creations, or if you are an experienced professional who is assisting a new maker, that is great.

However, if you are a professional who is selling their work anywhere, then in the interest of maintaining the no selling policy of this site (both in the letter and the spirit of the law) we ask that you do not showcase your work here, even if you are not actively making a sales pitch or linking to your website. You may post technical photos that are illustrative of the principles of flute making, but please refrain from any postings that are solely for the purpose of showcasing your creations.

This will ensure that no one takes undue advantage of the open nature of this forum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Anasazi Repair

cloudsounds   

Group: Members
Member No.: 686

Post #1

Hallo all,
Its been a while since Ive been here. I have an Erik the flutemaker Anasazi which I love. There are 2 long cracks going up both sides from the bottom. I bound them Last year and its worked fine. But now they have seperated again.
My question is what is the best way to reclose the cracks?
And what is the best way to adhere the Crack while trying to remain authentic? I know most people use wood glue, bunt I was Wondering if there is an easy way to get some sort of tar or tree sap that would be more authentic?

Thank you.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #2

You are in a tough climate for bamboo. I have been there. Repairing bamboo, is an involved process, which is pretty costly to do, on a flute of that value.

Maybe a maker has better advice.

+ Quote Post

Mike   

Member No.: 89

Post #3

QUOTE(cloudsounds @ Mar 19 2017, 02:02 AM) *
Hallo all,
Its been a while since Ive been here. I have an Erik the flutemaker Anasazi which I love. There are 2 long cracks going up both sides from the bottom. I bound them Last year and its worked fine. But now they have seperated again.
My question is what is the best way to reclose the cracks?
And what is the best way to adhere the Crack while trying to remain authentic? I know most people use wood glue, bunt I was Wondering if there is an easy way to get some sort of tar or tree sap that would be more authentic?

Thank you.

Have you contacted Eric the Flute Maker to see if he would repair it, or give you a suggestion on how to best do it yourself?

I'm not sure what "authentic" means, as nearly all "Anasazi" flutes are modern interpretations of the artifacts, (bored with modern tools, made with different woods, modified the mouthpiece, refined finishes). That being said, I think a thicker CA glue would be the best approach. Mask the crack with masking tape to protect the outer wood, then fill the crack with CA glue, and spray an accelerant to cure it. Do this a couple times if the crack is large. Sand it to match the outer diameter, then bind the flute.

If you want to make sure the repair is reversible, you could use Paraloid B72 (stuff used to glue museum artifacts together). B72 is an acrylic glue (as is CA glue), and it is easily dissolved in acetone and a few other solvents, so if you change your mind later you can clean it up and use something else later. B72 is weaker than CA glue, but it should bond well enough to the wood.

If you prefer older techniques, you could fill the cracks with pitch pine glue. then get some sinew cordage to bind it.

Mike

This post has been edited by Mike: Mar 19 2017, 03:51 AM

+ Quote Post

cloudsounds   

Member No.: 686

Post #4

QUOTE(Mike @ Mar 19 2017, 03:49 AM) *
Have you contacted Eric the Flute Maker to see if he would repair it, or give you a suggestion on how to best do it yourself?

I'm not sure what "authentic" means, as nearly all "Anasazi" flutes are modern interpretations of the artifacts, (bored with modern tools, made with different woods, modified the mouthpiece, refined finishes). That being said, I think a thicker CA glue would be the best approach. Mask the crack with masking tape to protect the outer wood, then fill the crack with CA glue, and spray an accelerant to cure it. Do this a couple times if the crack is large. Sand it to match the outer diameter, then bind the flute.

If you want to make sure the repair is reversible, you could use Paraloid B72 (stuff used to glue museum artifacts together). B72 is an acrylic glue (as is CA glue), and it is easily dissolved in acetone and a few other solvents, so if you change your mind later you can clean it up and use something else later. B72 is weaker than CA glue, but it should bond well enough to the wood.

If you prefer older techniques, you could fill the cracks with pitch pine glue. then get some sinew cordage to bind it.

Mike

Thank you Mike ! !
The pitch pine glue is exactly what I was looking for !

This post has been edited by cloudsounds: Mar 19 2017, 05:37 AM

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th September 2017 - 10:58 PM