Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Hawk Littlejohn ... Sound Files Of Him Playing Naf?, Does anyone know of any links to Hawk Littlejohn's playing of the

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
From: Beautiful northern NSW, Oz, beside creeks and rainforests
Member No.: 3,389

Post #1

Hello all. I guess my heartfelt enthusiasm for Hawk Littlejohn's personal insights, flutes and etc just may have been noted previously. .. tongue.gif

I was wondering if he has left any hard copy legacy of his own flute playing?

I've watched the Songkeepers CD, which introduced me to Hawk, at least in terms of hearing his words and seeing him speak, and contemplate, but I've never happened upon any examples of his own playing.

Does such a thing exist, and, if it does, would someone please be kind enough to point me in the relevant direction?

Thank you smile.gif

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #2

Not that I am aware of. Indeed, the only CD I know of, associated with Hawk, does not feature him playing the flute at all.

+ Quote Post

bigsky   

Member No.: 236

Post #3

Yes, Hawk made a recording called "The Long Human Being" It appears to be self produced as it was released by "Woodsong Studios" on cassette. As far as I know, there was not a CD released.

You may try contacting Kay Littlejohn or Danny Bigay to inquire about availability. I have a cassette copy that I picked up on eBay a while back. PM me for more information, if interested... 😉

Blessings...
Tom

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Member No.: 3,105

Post #4

Hmm. MY memory was that he played on the Songkeepers DVD. Now I'll have to watch it again, though that means waiting until Monday. It's at my office, and I'm off work today and tomorrow.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #5

QUOTE(rocksncactus @ May 18 2017, 11:27 AM) *
Hmm. MY memory was that he played on the Songkeepers DVD. Now I'll have to watch it again, though that means waiting until Monday. It's at my office, and I'm off work today and tomorrow.
Really? How can i have missed that?!! Oh, I so hope you're right, Lizabeth, and am happy to have been silly as long as
I can access Hawk's playing biggrin.gif

I'll have to dust off the dvd player. I do love watching SongKeepers, though, so housekeeping duties most worthwhile biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #6

QUOTE(bigsky @ May 18 2017, 08:12 AM) *
Yes, Hawk made a recording called "The Long Human Being" It appears to be self produced as it was released by "Woodsong Studios" on cassette. As far as I know, there was not a CD released.

You may try contacting Kay Littlejohn or Danny Bigay to inquire about availability. I have a cassette copy that I picked up on eBay a while back. PM me for more information, if interested... 😉

Blessings...
Tom
Tom.... Many blessings to you!!! Thank you for that! I am PMing you to discover more smile.gif

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #7

Linnie, that's just my memory; I'm likely to be wrong. It's been more than a year since I've watched it.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #8

QUOTE(rocksncactus @ May 19 2017, 01:54 AM) *
Linnie, that's just my memory; I'm likely to be wrong. It's been more than a year since I've watched it.
Don't stress smile.gif I actually emailed Rich Dube earlier today, as he and I connected previously when I first ordered Songkeepers DVD ... (from Rich's site smile.gif) and we keep in touch from time to time... he's a very nice person.

Anyway, Rich may well be busy, but I think he'll let me know eventually whether the dvd did include Hawk playing... My DVD player is in hibernation mode so I'll just be patient.. I want to watch the whole Songkeepers DVD again when i can, too. My knowledge of the NAF and awareness of many makers has increased since I bought the DVD some time ago, so it will be interesting to revisit it... smile.gif And I'm seeing where Tom's info can take me smile.gif

If we're comparing notes on our respective memories, though, while I'm grateful mine exists, there is room for improvement!!! Yours may be more accurate! And in this instance I hope it is! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by shewhoflutesincaves: May 19 2017, 05:40 AM

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #9

Now I want to go watch it again, too!

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #10

Linnie, I watched it on my computer. Does yours have a DVD drive?

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #11

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ May 19 2017, 12:22 PM) *
tongue.gif Well, it's very watchable smile.gif
QUOTE(rocksncactus @ May 19 2017, 02:53 PM) *
Linnie, I watched it on my computer. Does yours have a DVD drive?
No..... sadly... Just a lovely little laptop that brings the world to me but doesn't have a DVD...

I think I'll have to put an external DVD drive that I can just plug in when needed on my birthday list tongue.gif .

But, right now, I have woken up the DVD!! It wasn't the DVD slumbering, it was my unknowingness re how the whole thing plugged into our complicated, multi-plugged electrical system. biggrin.gif Yay!!

I can watch Songkeepers again!

Thank you all for bearing with me smile.gif
QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ May 19 2017, 12:22 PM) *
tongue.gif Well, it's very watchable laugh.gif smile.gif I'm just going to watch it now, it being a cold, misty Saturday morning here... The perfect excuse to sit and watch and listen...

Update... There is so much more to this DVD than I remembered... and, yes, Hawk does play a bit when he is sharing his flute-making skills.. and even more is played throughout as a backdrop to his talking, so I'm guessing that the song Hawk's playing might be the one Tom kindly mentioned. All the interviewed makers play in their own style, which is lovely!

This post has been edited by shewhoflutesincaves: May 19 2017, 07:32 PM

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor

Post #12

In the one CD I have, the main flute player, is a young fellow from the local area (Asheville, NC), who plays the flute, while Hawk and Gerri add some accompaniment. It is not real well post-produced, and not real smooth, but it is the only one I know of, that Hawk did participate in. During the time of the production, the young man who played the flute, was doing some local performing on the flute. That's as much as I know, about the production of the CD.

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #13

Thank you, Rick. yes, I googled the song title and Hawk's name and ended up with a link to a young guy offering some tale about how when he was very young a man entered his life and he'd never be forgotten... Then pans into this guy's link to his own sound file which contains absolutely zero re Hawk's music... nothing from Hawk at all... nothing... weird! I'm sure his music was fine, but I was looking for Hawk... :-o

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor

Post #14

The thing is...........as much as he is recognized as a flute maker, his flutes were no worse, nor any better, than any other good maker. I have had the opportunity to play any number of his flutes, owned by other folks, and some were top notch, while others were quite middle of the road, and some weren't even well in tune, or exhibit a good voice. So...........much of that is hype, and indeed many of the "special" flutes with carving, etc. had the artwork done by other people. The real contribution of Hawk, was his willingness to share his craft, with other people, and there was a long list of those other people, including an Australian maker............whose flute style was not at all like Hawk's, visually.

The thing Hawk was actually known for, more than flute making, was that he was a very knowledgeable medicine man of the old ways, and he was even a lecturer on that topic. He gave programs at Duke University, on that topic.

While he had already passed, before I found the flute, myself, it is hard to go anywhere in our area, without encountering a few people who have his flutes, in the flute community, many of whom, have never actually learned to play the flute well. I have them in my classes. I also had the opportunity to see, and try, some very special flutes, of his, that other fluties had, since I entered the hobby. I have even had the opportunity to visit with some of his relations, from time to time, and learn something about him, from them. I think the Songkeepers video / CD, provides the most intimate insight into the man, that is available.

So, my view, is to appreciate the contributions, to the flute community, and to humanity, in general, of Hawk Littlejohn, but understand that he was still, just a flute maker, and one who had not always made flutes, either. His work, over the years of his flute making, had the normal variances of product that most business people, have in their products, that are hand crafted. His willingness to share his craft, helped many others get started in the craft, and expanded the flute community a lot. That's where the real benefit of Hawk's legacy really is.

I hope, one day, to have an opportunity to acquire one flute made by Hawk, at a fair price. So far, that hasn't happened, so I have not acquired one, although I do know, where two are for sale, at this time, locally. I will approach that acquisition pretty much like any other flute purchase...........it must play well, and be a fair value.

Some folks may consider that viewpoint an understated one, but I like to think of it as an accurate assessment of a man who I never had the opportunity to truly know, but perhaps because of that fact, I have tried to be entirely objective, about his work and legacy, and not get too caught up, in the "legend" or "mystique".

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #15

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ May 20 2017, 06:35 AM) *
The thing is...........as much as he is recognized as a flute maker, his flutes were no worse, nor any better, than any other good maker. I have had the opportunity to play any number of his flutes, owned by other folks, and some were top notch, while others were quite middle of the road, and some weren't even well in tune, or exhibit a good voice. So...........much of that is hype, and indeed many of the "special" flutes with carving, etc. had the artwork done by other people. The real contribution of Hawk, was his willingness to share his craft, with other people, and there was a long list of those other people, including an Australian maker............whose flute style was not at all like Hawk's, visually.

The thing Hawk was actually known for, more than flute making, was that he was a very knowledgeable medicine man of the old ways, and he was even a lecturer on that topic. He gave programs at Duke University, on that topic.

While he had already passed, before I found the flute, myself, it is hard to go anywhere in our area, without encountering a few people who have his flutes, in the flute community, many of whom, have never actually learned to play the flute well. I have them in my classes. I also had the opportunity to see, and try, some very special flutes, of his, that other fluties had, since I entered the hobby. I have even had the opportunity to visit with some of his relations, from time to time, and learn something about him, from them. I think the Songkeepers video / CD, provides the most intimate insight into the man, that is available.

So, my view, is to appreciate the contributions, to the flute community, and to humanity, in general, of Hawk Littlejohn, but understand that he was still, just a flute maker, and one who had not always made flutes, either. His work, over the years of his flute making, had the normal variances of product that most business people, have in their products, that are hand crafted. His willingness to share his craft, helped many others get started in the craft, and expanded the flute community a lot. That's where the real benefit of Hawk's legacy really is.

I hope, one day, to have an opportunity to acquire one flute made by Hawk, at a fair price. So far, that hasn't happened, so I have not acquired one, although I do know, where two are for sale, at this time, locally. I will approach that acquisition pretty much like any other flute purchase...........it must play well, and be a fair value.

Some folks may consider that viewpoint an understated one, but I like to think of it as an accurate assessment of a man who I never had the opportunity to truly know, but perhaps because of that fact, I have tried to be entirely objective, about his work and legacy, and not get too caught up, in the "legend" or "mystique".
Thanks for your thoughts, Rick... smile.gif

I do hold Hawk in very high regard, it's true.. I don't think I've hit the "Hawk's a legend!" attitude, but I have googled him, very thoroughly, and am excited as much, or more, by his Medicine Man self and by his cultural survival/resurgence role... Indeed, his willingness to share his craft as well as his knowledge and memories, really, of earlier days, is what makes him truly special to me, and no doubt to many others.

Because Hawk said "Flute is like prayer", or "My flute is my prayer", I feel in him a kindred spirit, because I don't feel connected to Spirit through more formal religion, but through my own way of being, unscripted, individual, in the moments when I feel so moved, so Hawk's words speak to me deeply ... Perhaps that is why Hawk is so special to me, and why I so delight in owning one of his flutes ... A Hawk flute represents, to me, a special connection to a kindred spirit, and a means to honour Spirit... I don't view Hawk as a legend, just a really authentic and beautiful soul smile.gif

Of course Hawk LJ is not alone in offering me that opportunity... There are many wonderful makers of beautiful flutes, including my friends on this site, and I believe they also flute and make flute with similar intention in mind... To help people, including themselves, connect to Spirit, in whatever that takes.

The Hawk LJ flute that I happened upon really didn't end up costing me an obscene amount of money... More expensive than my other flutes, but perhaps double my most expensive flutes, or less... For me, even though I had to stretch my budget, I'd do it again in a heartbeat, and I feel it was a very fair deal. I also was able to play it, in the flesh, just 40 mins from my own home, and I truly love it's voice and it's aesthetic, so it was really a blessing to become this one's custodian smile.gif!!!

I do understand what you are saying, though, Rick. I understand people's frustration at finding a HLJ flute listed at some phenomenal price, immediately putting that flute out of reach. I guess that is reflective of the 'demand exceeding supply' aspect of any market. unsure.gif sad.gif

Because there are so many people who are actual collectors in the real sense, not simply 'gatherers' of flute, I feel especially blessed to have found one, because for me it is about more than just owning a flute with a 'name'. Despite never having met him, I know I would have rejoiced in Hawk's company, simply because his way of being in the world sits well with me, so I feel honoured to have adopted one of his flutes smile.gif. ❤️

This post has been edited by shewhoflutesincaves: May 21 2017, 01:28 AM

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor

Post #16

That's what matters. smile.gif

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #17

QUOTE(Rick McDaniel @ May 21 2017, 04:01 AM) *
That's what matters. smile.gif
Yes smile.gif My feeling exactly biggrin.gif 🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻🌻

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #18

QUOTE(shewhoflutesincaves @ May 21 2017, 01:26 AM) *
Because there are so many people who are actual collectors in the real sense,

And to me this is very foreign. Just about all the Hawk LittleJohn flutes I have seen on Ebay -- mostly from one seller, too -- all state that the flute was bought and carefully stored away, as if that were a selling point. A good flute is meant to be played. I feel sure Hawk did not want his flutes to be hidden in a drawer. His and all flutes should be played and played often. They should be allowed to sing out and give voice to the player's emotions. I know everyone's relationship to his or her flutes is different and individual, but I cannot relate at all to that type of collecting. It's a shame, really.

because for me it is about more than just owning a flute with a 'name'. Despite never having met him, I know I would have rejoiced in Hawk's company, simply because his way of being in the world sits well with me, so I feel honoured to have adopted one of his flutes smile.gif. ❤️

This is more in line with my way of thinking.

I collect rocks/fossils/minerals. I will never be a collector of flutes, merely a gatherer.

That's just my humble opinion. I'm sure there are differing ones. wink.gif

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

shewhoflutesinca...   

Top Contributor

Post #19

QUOTE(rocksncactus @ May 22 2017, 05:52 AM) *
And to me this is very foreign. Just about all the Hawk LittleJohn flutes I have seen on Ebay -- mostly from one seller, too -- all state that the flute was bought and carefully stored away, as if that were a selling point. A good flute is meant to be played. I feel sure Hawk did not want his flutes to be hidden in a drawer. His and all flutes should be played and played often. They should be allowed to sing out and give voice to the player's emotions. I know everyone's relationship to his or her flutes is different and individual, but I cannot relate at all to that type of collecting. It's a shame, really.

because for me it is about more than just owning a flute with a 'name'. Despite never having met him, I know I would have rejoiced in Hawk's company, simply because his way of being in the world sits well with me, so I feel honoured to have adopted one of his flutes smile.gif. ❤️

This is more in line with my way of thinking.

I collect rocks/fossils/minerals. I will never be a collector of flutes, merely a gatherer.

That's just my humble opinion. I'm sure there are differing ones. wink.gif

Lizabeth
I'm sure there are! (Are quite a few of the HLJ flutes really coming from the same seller? I'd never noticed... blink.gif ) I'm doubly grateful that the person who sold me mine lives nearby and has a face to a name, and a story, to boot! smile.gif

Yay, Lizabeth. I knew we were on the same page! biggrin.gif I collect rocks/crystals/other interesting mineral or timber things, too, and I have so many I am regarded as a collector, but I play with many of them regularly, sun them or rain them, moonlight them etc, to rejuvenate them. I've recently started offering many of them to my lovely neighbours and other interested friends, though, as I have more than I can realistically attend to. They feel 'neglected', so it's time for them to be re-homed.

I agree with you that flutes want to be played, and I'm also with you that Hawk and other makers very likely would be saddened that their flutes aren't being played, but 'safely' stored, in some instances.

Many blessings to you from your fellow collector of minerals and gatherer of flutes!! tongue.gifsmile.gif

+ Quote Post

rocksncactus   

Post #20

Linnie, my husband and I are rockhounds. We belong to Georgia Mineral Society, one of the largest mineral societies in the world with membership over 900 now. We have members in other states and even other countries, as they like to be able to attend field trips if they are in reach. I don't collect crystals probably the same way you do, but there are members of our club who do. They seek out different crystals for the different vibrations and healing properties associated. When I collect crystals or minerals, I am seeking good quality specimens for display or, more often, to give away to students. I certainly appreciate those who look to crystals for healing. To me it's just a different way of looking at them, just as some people approach the NAF from a spiritual angle and others do not.

But we are definitely on the same page re flutes. I remember Hawk Henries talking about an old, old flute that he had acquired from someone and how he cleaned it up and began playing it and it was like it took a deep breath and started to live and sing and its voice improved more and more. That's my nonverbatim memory of what he said, anyhow. It makes me sad to think there are flutes out there that have a voice that should be heard and they are placed in a cabinet or drawer, however carefully, not ever seeing the light of day, much less being played. An instrument has a voice once the breath is put into it, and it needs to be played. It just seems such a waste to me. That is why I bought the two flutes of unknown origin recently at the estate sale. They are not highest quality flutes, but they were nice ones; and they had obviously been sitting for quite a while collecting dust as their owner aged and passed on. I cleaned them and oiled them, and I want to play them regularly to give them their voices back.

Lizabeth

+ Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th July 2017 - 06:36 PM