Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» The 2010 Peoples Choice, Songwriting and Performance Competition

Geoffrey   

Admin
Group: Administrators
Member No.: 5

Post #1

We would like to announce the launching of the 2010 Flute Portal "Peoples Choice" Songwriting/Performing Competition!

I will explain what "Peoples Choice" means at the end of the guidelines below.

FOR THOSE MEMBERS WHO WOULD LIKE TO PARTICIPATE IN THIS YEARS COMPETITION, PLEASE READ THIS ENTIRE POST CAREFULLY.

-You must be a registered member of the Flute Portal forums in order to participate in this contest.

-There will be two categories: Solo flute and Multi-track.

-All entries must be original compositions and must be performed by the entrant.

-Solo flute: Any type of flute, any tuning, reverb and delay permitted, 5 minute time limit. No other background sounds of any kind.

-Multi-instrumental: Any type of flute as the primary melodic instrument. No limit on track count, effects or background instrumentation (including vocalizations, percussion, pads, nature sounds, etc.) Basically the only limit is your creativity--5 minute time limit. The only rule is that the flute must remain the primary melodic instrument throughout the piece.

This year we have much larger time limits because there will be no judges listening to them and we will be able to host them in the Flute Portals new music section for easy listening.

-All submissions must be in MP3 format, preferably with a bit rate of no more than 128KB. This will allow plenty of fidelity and will keep the files from being too huge.

-All submissions may be e-mailed to admin@fluteportal.com.

No submissions or samples of submissions are to be posted anywhere on the internet. They should not be on your MySpace or Facebook page or anywhere on the forums. They cannot be on a CD that you have previously released. They can be songs that you have written in the past, so long as they are not publicly displayed anywhere. Pieces that appeared in last years contest may not be resubmitted.

Each site member is allowed one submission per category (solo and ensemble).

-The deadline for submissions is Nov. 30th, 2010.

-The prize package will be announced before the end of November.

HOW THE CONTEST WILL BE JUDGED: THE PEOPLES CHOICE

This year, we will be having an "open vote" on the forums themselves. All of the entries will be posted anonymously in a special category of the Music section (I will create a special category called "The Peoples Choice Contest" where members can use the flash media player to listen to the numbered entries). Members will cast their "vote" in the forums themselves. There will be a thread started where each member can make a post naming their choice for both the solo and multi-track category.

There will be rules and guidelines for the voting process and any discussion of the pieces is suspended until the voting process is complete.

Members can judge by whatever criteria they choose. Basically, pick your favorite songs.

If any one has any questions or needs clarification, feel free to reply to this post.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Carlton   

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,043

Post #2

What a fine competition! Maybe this will break me out of that shell.
Hope a good response comes out of this.

+ Quote Post

Geoffrey   

Admin

Post #3

The last two years we've had fabulous entries from a surprising number of talented members. The only down side to the past competitions was the need for a panel of judges. In some ways it was nice to have some professional musicians/performers to do the judging, but the actual process of posting the songs for the judges, defining the criteria for judging, etc. was a bit onerous and wasn't as fun as a truly democratic process.

Things can be different this year in part because of the new Music section and the features that can be utilized. Having customizable pages, each with a built in flash media player is something that would have made setting up last years contest sooooo much easier!

We tried a Peoples Choice contest in 2008, but set about it the wrong way regarding the vote and ended up scrapping it and using the panel method. We had tried to use the "poll" function for voting, which lead to some problems with maintaining a fair vote. The more obvious solution (thanks to Victor for advocating this approach) is to have an open vote in the forums themselves. That way, only forum members can vote, and we can set up certain qualifications that will keep the voting fair (I won't tell what those will be until the songs are ready to be voted on).

+ Quote Post

Just Jim   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 638

Post #4

WOOHOO!!!!
I like this idea... and there are so many more people here since last year!
This is gonna be fun!!!

+ Quote Post

greybeard   

greybeard
Member No.: 68

Post #5

It would be totally awesome if you could make available a CD of the tops submissions. It could be offered at a reasonable charge with proceeds to support the Portal. Or, perhaps available as a download to subscribers. biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

Titmouse   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 446

Post #6

Will the vote take place after the Nov. submission deadline so that everybody will have a chance to hear each entry before they vote? Otherwise someone might vote and then realize that they like a later entry better.

Art rolleyes.gif

+ Quote Post

Geoffrey   

Admin

Post #7

QUOTE(Titmouse @ Aug 5 2010, 01:27 PM) *
Will the vote take place after the Nov. submission deadline so that everybody will have a chance to hear each entry before they vote? Otherwise someone might vote and then realize that they like a later entry better.

Art rolleyes.gif

Definitely after the deadline.

All songs will be gathered and posted. Then the voting thread will be opened and members can hear all of the songs. No submissions will be accepted after voting begins.

+ Quote Post

Cha oha   

Cha Oha
Member No.: 35

Post #8

Sounds good. I have been thinking about submitting one of my songs, but feel pretty intimidated by the tallent on the Portal....... looking forward to hearing the submissions.
Beth

+ Quote Post

Geoffrey   

Admin

Post #9

QUOTE(greybeard @ Aug 5 2010, 01:26 PM) *
It would be totally awesome if you could make available a CD of the tops submissions. It could be offered at a reasonable charge with proceeds to support the Portal. Or, perhaps available as a download to subscribers. biggrin.gif

We've talked about that in the past, but there is a pain-in-the neck factor that sort of cancels out its value as a fund-raiser. However, now that we have the Music section there is nothing to stop us from leaving the songs there in perpetuity. Mind you, that does not allow people to do things like put them on their iPods or play them in the car...

However, we'll see what happens...never say never, eh?

+ Quote Post

Titmouse   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 446

Post #10

QUOTE(Cha oha @ Aug 5 2010, 02:51 PM) *
Sounds good. I have been thinking about submitting one of my songs, but feel pretty intimidated by the tallent on the Portal....... looking forward to hearing the submissions.
Beth

That's exactly how I feel. However, last year, I sucked in my pride, overlooked my embarrassment and submitted the best thing that I could do (humble though it was). True, so many other Portal members are so much more talented than me and true my submission didn't match up. Yet, there was great satisfaction in realizing that I had done my best, found the courage and submitted my piece.

Since I don't expect to win I suffer no disappointment when I don't. The satisfaction that I was a competitor lives on.

Art rolleyes.gif

+ Quote Post

Cha oha   

Cha Oha
Member No.: 35

Post #11

QUOTE(Titmouse @ Aug 6 2010, 01:43 PM) *
That's exactly how I feel. However, last year, I sucked in my pride, overlooked my embarrassment and submitted the best thing that I could do (humble though it was). True, so many other Portal members are so much more talented than me and true my submission didn't match up. Yet, there was great satisfaction in realizing that I had done my best, found the courage and submitted my piece.

Since I don't expect to win I suffer no disappointment when I don't. The satisfaction that I was a competitor lives on.

Art rolleyes.gif

Thanks Art.... that might be the nudge I need..... will think about it.... a little longer.... for a while.. cool.gif
Beth

+ Quote Post

Just Jim   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 638

Post #12

QUOTE(Cha oha @ Aug 5 2010, 05:51 PM) *
Beth

The thing to remember is this is all for fun... yeah, you might win a flute or whatever, but that's not how I look at it.
This is a chance for me to try and raise my own personal bar.
I know there is a lot of great talent here... but instead of letting them intimidate me, this is a chance to see if I can give them a run for their $$$.
I welcome the chance to see if I can take down someone I know is a better player.
Here that Jeff G??? lol... wink.gif I'm gunnin' for ya this year bro!!! hehehe

This post has been edited by Just Jim: Aug 6 2010, 11:36 AM

+ Quote Post

mark harper   

Member No.: 543

Post #13

QUOTE(greybeard @ Aug 5 2010, 12:26 PM) *

I second this idea of producing a CD of the yearly competition. Many good players here.

+ Quote Post

Geoffrey   

Admin

Post #14

The other thing to consider with a CD is whether the members would allow their songs to be distributed that way. Basically, if everyone agrees to it then it would be a nice thing to have available. I don't have time to handle it myself, but if the members elected a willing "producer", then they might tackle the editing, burning and distribution, charging a nominal fee to cover their expenses and time and trouble. I'd leave that up to the community members to settle.

+ Quote Post

brother_cavefish   

Member No.: 437

Post #15

this is nice, but i cant see the Topic yet, its going to be in the MUSIC section right

This post has been edited by brother cavefish: Aug 7 2010, 04:08 AM

+ Quote Post

Geoffrey   

Admin

Post #16

QUOTE(brother cavefish @ Aug 7 2010, 05:06 AM) *
this is nice, but i cant see the Topic yet, its going to be in the MUSIC section right

This is from the post at the top of this page:

This year, we will be having an "open vote" on the forums themselves. All of the entries will be posted anonymously in a special category of the Music section (I will create a special category called "The Peoples Choice Contest" where members can use the flash media player to listen to the numbered entries). Members will cast their "vote" in the forums themselves. There will be a thread started where each member can make a post naming their choice for both the solo and multi-track category.

There will be rules and guidelines for the voting process and any discussion of the pieces is suspended until the voting process is complete.

Members can judge by whatever criteria they choose. Basically, pick your favorite songs.

Nothing is posted yet--not until late November. The songs will be in the music section, the voting will be on the forums.

+ Quote Post

brother_cavefish   

Member No.: 437

Post #17

QUOTE(Geoffrey @ Aug 7 2010, 06:14 AM) *
This is from the post at the top of this page:

Nothing is posted yet--not until late November. The songs will be in the music section, the voting will be on the forums.

gotcha

+ Quote Post

Songkeeper   

Member No.: 664

Post #18

5 minutes?! Man, that sounds like a sweet deal. Sadly, I won't be entering the contest this year due to a jam-packed schedule (and the fact that my recording mic will be in storage). Good luck to all who do enter!

+ Quote Post

pvanheuklom   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 53

Post #19

QUOTE(Songkeeper @ Aug 9 2010, 09:35 PM) *
5 minutes?! Man, that sounds like a sweet deal. Sadly, I won't be entering the contest this year due to a jam-packed schedule (and the fact that my recording mic will be in storage). Good luck to all who do enter!

Whew! smile.gif You're tough competition. cool.gif

+ Quote Post

Geoffrey   

Admin

Post #20

QUOTE(Songkeeper @ Aug 9 2010, 10:35 PM) *

Yeah, when we had judges and I had to post the songs off-site, the smaller file sizes was necessary for accessibility. However, I felt that it was too restrictive in terms of creativity. It is hard to develop a theme and do it justice in a mere 2 to 2 1/2 minutes.

+ Quote Post

10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 06:28 PM