Latest Activity on the Portal:
Bob Child - Ugly Boy Flutes has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Flute Event forum rules

This forum is for discussion of general flute events. If you are an individual who is conducting paid workshops or classes, please don't use this forum to advertise them (in fairness to other merchants who are forbidden to promote their work, websites, etc. on the forums). We will be adding an Events Calendar to the Flute Portal home page soon, and that will be the proper place for such things.

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Flute Quest 2010 Mini Review, In five parts

mahler   

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,054

Post #1

First off I want to say that this was the first flute event for my wife and I ever. It was a grand-daddy of sorts as many big names were there and it was a bit daunting. My mini review is hopefully able to give a bit of the flavour of the event but I admit it is a bit centered around what we both did while there. So apologies if the words tend to include a lot of our personal experiences and not only a general overview.

My wife Ann and I drove up from Vancouver (a scant 2-1/2 hours to the north of us) to the location ,which is nestled in between Tacoma and Seattle. The setting at Salt Water State Park is fabulous as the park is buried in a canyon of sorts and would never be noticeable to boats or passing cars except for the signs. A truly wonderful place for Flute Quest.

Parking can be tight for larger events but this seemed to be perfect. We parked Friday morning and caught quite a few while setting up and so had to hold off on the pics of some booths. But getting there early was a blessing as I had a chance to meet some who might not have as much time later, like this pic with Mary Youngblood:

She is a sweetheart and later would give a great workshop session on embellishments and Techniques.
We had some time to walk around and view the delights for sale and stopped first at Butch and Laura Hall's booth. I own 4 of his flutes and always drool when another is presented within eyeshot!!

These two are such great people and the flutes are astounding!!!

Here is another pic of the booth nearby:

On to the next page.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

mahler   

Post #2

Here is the sign that greeted everyone to the event as well as some other photos of the grounds:

Then on to the next page of pics.......

+ Quote Post

mahler   

Post #3

And a few more:

So the set up was nice and easy to get around. Flat ground right next to the waters of Puget Sound.

The next event for me was a class workshop with Scott August on playing the Anasazi and other rim blown flutes,my favourites!!
This class also included Judd,Pat and Deborah from this here Portal. Great class too!!!

On we go......

+ Quote Post

mahler   

Post #4

After the class I had a few moments to sneak a pic or two with Scott:

And also with Michael Allen (Coyote Oldman)

I will say that Michael is such a delight to speak with and his knowledge is amazing. We had quite a few more chances to speak over the three days of the event and I was always bothering him for more!!! His flutes (I own three) are amazing and I could always use another laugh.gif

By the way, ignore my smirk and lousy choice of hats. While I love my panama hat, sometimes it makes me look like a twit.Especially since shaving off the handlebar moustache. tongue.gif

The afternoon ended with the aforementioned workshop with Mary Youngblood. She was superb in teaching ability and we all had a chance to be the main player while she accompanied on her Takamine 6 string. Now how many people get to ay that they were accompanied by Mary Youngblood?!!! A great session it was!!

Here was the tent for the Anasazi class with Scott August:

And on to the last part....

+ Quote Post

mahler   

Post #5

After the workshops we attended the Rona Yellowrobe/Scott August concert at the Knutsen Family Theater. A great facility that was perfect for such an event. The Washington Flute Circle did an outstanding job with this years event and to be highly praised.

Of course, the concert was amazing. Rona is the up and coming star in the Native American/flute genre and gave a great performance as did Scott August.

Can you believe that all happened on Friday?! We were exhausted but happy and the next two days were filled with many return trips to the various tents and booths as we learned a great deal about everything flute related. Unfortunately we were unable to attend the Mary Youngblood concert but heard all about it the next day as it was very great indeed.Maybe next year.

Sunday was a bit of a shorter day for us as we had a trip home to make. We stayed all day and listened to the many open mic performances and were astonished at how good most of the people at this event were. We have a lot of practicing ahead of us!!

The end of the day brought the raffles for the various flutes (one was a Michael Allen special edition cicada flute which I would LOVE to have one but alas, it was not meant to be) and happy people all around. Kudos for a great Flute Quest 2010.

I did come home with one Butch Hall flute to round out my fipple collection with the keys I needed to complete my collection. Now I will be concentrating on the rim blown flutes.

My next aim is to hopefully start a flute circle in the Vancouver,Washington area as I'm now a Washington Flute Circle member as of this morning. Perhaps in a month or two a new circle can be formed here.

We had a truly fun three days and it was well worth the money and time spent to go. It is tough in these economic times but sometimes one needs to just do it(pardon the theft from Nike) and be happy one did.

Thanks for letting me share my experience. While I'm newer to this than most here, I hope to be here a LONG time and learn.

Jim Ross
Vancouver, Washington

+ Quote Post

jim cook   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 211

Post #6

great pics and review... looks like you had fun smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Coatlique   

Member No.: 1,220

Post #7

Thanks for the photos! Maybe I can actually get there next year. Sorry I missed Rona. She's always a delight to hear.

Coatlique

+ Quote Post

Los Cadejos   

Member No.: 1,200

Post #8

I was there Friday but didn't a bring a camera, so I loved seeing your photos. I'm still new at this and was happy to get flutes in keys I didn't have yet; I bought flutes from Butch Hall, Quiet Bear, and Dennis Lombard. I had a wonderful time on the one day I was able to go and really enjoyed the stage performances there, especially Eric Ray and his daughter Allie, an incredible singer.

It was a lovely park with trails, and I hiked up into the woods until I found a place to sit and played my new flutes. smile.gif

Heading home in the late afternoon, I ran into heavy traffic; it took me over 4 hours to get back to Portland. But I had bought Eric Ray's albums so I had excellent music during the drive! biggrin.gif

...Kate

+ Quote Post

tenzin   

Top Contributor
Group: Banned
Member No.: 431

Post #9

Jim, thanks for such a great review... rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

This makes my day, Tenzin

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #10

Get review, Jim! What fun! Thanks for sharing!

And I like your hats!! smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Marsha   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 287

Post #11

Ditto on the great review and great photos! cool.gif Thank you!
The venue/park looks quite inviting, and it sure is great to see your smiling face.
I have a sneaky suspicion that you'll definitely want to return to this event next year. wink.gif

+ Quote Post

greybeard   

greybeard
Member No.: 68

Post #12

Great review and great pictures. Thanks for a glimpse into the Flute Quest festival, looks like a great ime indeed.

Ed

+ Quote Post

pvanheuklom   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 53

Post #13

What a great looking venue ... and I still need Mary's and Scott's signatures on my flute case. May have to put Flute Quest on my list of future events. (PS - I like the hat smile.gif .)

+ Quote Post

4wind   

Member No.: 698

Post #14

Thanks for the pictures and the review. I would like to make it to a west coast festival soon.

Enjoy the new flutes!!!! (even the new ET)

Peace cool.gif

Eric

+ Quote Post

knighthawk   

Member No.: 106

Post #15

Great pictures of the event.Makes me want to cry.it's so far away.
i guess I'll have to just dream about it.

+ Quote Post

Terry Mack   

Member No.: 321

Post #16

I was also at Flute quest, great photos and review of the event. It was truly a wonderful time.
I missed the Scott August concert. The Mary Youngblood concert was great. Joe Young, Ken Kolman and Rick Dunlop also gave a fine and inspiring performance.

This post has been edited by Terry Mack: Aug 24 2010, 06:49 AM

+ Quote Post

Deborah   

Member No.: 285

Post #17

Excellent review. And I like the hat.

It was a good event, lots of fun was had.

I had a couple of lovely dinners at Anthony's in Des Moines. Yummy. The weather was lovely, depending upon who you spoke with. Those in the south and east were going, "Oh, it's so nice and cool." Those of us (me) from Anchorage, where we've had a miserable year weather-wise, were going, "Oh, it's so nice and warm."

Deborah

+ Quote Post

fixedfocus   

Member No.: 534

Post #18

FluteQuest was great!!

And congratulations to two of our Flute Portal members for a vote of distinction.

Dennis Lombard was voted the top flute maker in the festival. I spent quite a bit of time at his booth. It was good to see him recognized for his fabulous quality, consistently great sound, and prices that still leave room to eat. At FluteQuest, that meant we could still afford fresh mini dougnuts.

For stage performers, Terry Mack was chosen for her great sound, stage presence, and melodies you hum as you walk to your car. Go Terry Go!!

Though two were chosen, the music all day, every day, was fabulous, and I've never seen so many flutes that I wanted to own in one place. It was amazing.

Lisa Gillotti and the entire group of volunteers are to be congratulated for their wonderful job. We were all treated like honored guests. It was a super smooth event and is really growing.

Thanks to everyone,

Ken Kolman

This post has been edited by fixedfocus: Aug 23 2010, 08:26 PM

+ Quote Post

Judd   

Member No.: 33

Post #19

Thanks to Jim for posting a thorough review. Flute Quest was my first festival and I enjoyed it greatly. The event was very well organized, with many interesting workshops, a broad and diverse selection of vendors, and top performers.

I attended the Friday night concert with high expectations of Scott August and he did not disappoint. His set was composed of a Mojave piece, two Anasazi pieces, and several NAF pieces. I was not at all familiar with Rona Yellow Robe and must say that her performance was very impressive. She intertwined beautiful flute melodies and her voice with personal experiences grounded in nature and spirituality.

On Sunday I listened to Terry Mack perform her soothing music on the outdoor stage. She would later earn an award as the most popular festival performer on the outdoor stage. Congratulations Terry!

When the festival ended on Sunday I loaded my car with my new MGA Papago flute, an MGA high G Little Flute, a Nash Tavewa wind whistle, and a large clay udu from the Odd Couple. Looking forward to next year's Flute Quest.

+ Quote Post

Judd   

Member No.: 33

Post #20

Just a few photos from the festival.

Udus and shakers from the Odd Couple.

Moyos from Visionhawk Music.

MGA Anasazi, my Papago, Carved Cicada, and an absolutely stunning Hopi.

Flute Quest Tepee.

+ Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th August 2017 - 06:29 PM