Latest Activity on the Portal:
Dave Sproul has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
AlexBooth has posted a new blog article titled "Passing the Torch: Flute Portal Ownership Announcment". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Forum Guidelines

Even though we encourage members to share their experience in this section, ideally we'd like to keep an "amateur" flavor to it.

If you are a novice instrument maker and are looking for feedback on your first creations, or if you are an experienced professional who is assisting a new maker, that is great.

However, if you are a professional who is selling their work anywhere, then in the interest of maintaining the no selling policy of this site (both in the letter and the spirit of the law) we ask that you do not showcase your work here, even if you are not actively making a sales pitch or linking to your website. You may post technical photos that are illustrative of the principles of instrument making, but please refrain from any postings that are solely for the purpose of showcasing your creations.

This will ensure that no one takes undue advantage of the open nature of this forum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Xiao Flute, wanting to make one

skyspirit   

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,315

Post #1

Where does one start? Hole placements? notes? for 6 and 8 hole. biggrin.gif

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Stephan   

Member No.: 2,041

Post #2

QUOTE(skyspirit @ Oct 14 2010, 10:30 AM) *
Where does one start? Hole placements? notes? for 6 and 8 hole. biggrin.gif

Hello man! I've been trying to make one too, but still at experimenting stage... as for hole placement, I got some pictures of xiaos, measured them and counted the percentage (first hole 30 percents from top, second... not for real just example) and now I'm trying to figure out the inside diameter... Made one 8 hole about 30 inches (96 centimeters) long with inside about 19 milimeters.. sound is too low (deep? not really a musician... and maybe the holes are to far from the blowhole), holes kinda hard to reach... and one about 20 inches (69 cm) long, inside diameter about 16 mm with 6 holes... sounds more like xiao than the thicker one...
so back to your question - try to get some info on inside diameter.. not much help I guess, sorry...
By the way - Does anyone here knows something about this? I'd love some advice too...

+ Quote Post

idlewild   

Member No.: 2,243

Post #3

QUOTE(Stephan @ Sep 25 2011, 11:40 AM) *
Hello man! I've been trying to make one too, but still at experimenting stage... as for hole placement, I got some pictures of xiaos, measured them and counted the percentage (first hole 30 percents from top, second... not for real just example) and now I'm trying to figure out the inside diameter... Made one 8 hole about 30 inches (96 centimeters) long with inside about 19 milimeters.. sound is too low (deep? not really a musician... and maybe the holes are to far from the blowhole), holes kinda hard to reach... and one about 20 inches (69 cm) long, inside diameter about 16 mm with 6 holes... sounds more like xiao than the thicker one...
so back to your question - try to get some info on inside diameter.. not much help I guess, sorry...
By the way - Does anyone here knows something about this? I'd love some advice too...

Hi - I'm probably not much farther ahead than you when it comes to making Xiao. I've had some success making other flutes and have been at it for about two years. It helps that I am a musician, for the testing of playability and other features. I've made my eleventh Xiao just recently and have sold one and given away four. I make them in G and F, based on a Xiao I bought a couple of years ago. Diameter will affect pitch and the wider ones are the lower pitch. I took the measurements off my example, unlike the calculator I had for my NAF's and Shakuhachi's. I matched drill sizes to the holes on my model and used tuning holes to cut off the end of the flutes sounding tube length. I went from node to node for strength and at the blowing edge end used the node as part of the width for the blade. I could tune the holes somewhat by enlarging to go sharper in pitch. I've also used the method you mentioned calculating the ratio for different lengths from a model or picture and scaling up. I made several out of Black Bamboo and have a jpg of one here. I also find the Xiao the hardest flute to play that I've made or own, with the execption of the Ney.
Attached File(s)
Attached File  Xiao_G_long_sm.jpg ( 17.2K ) Number of downloads: 26

+ Quote Post

greybeard   

greybeard
Member No.: 68

Post #4

You can pick up a Chinese one on Ebay for less than 60 bucks. Pick one up, study it, make a copy and then sell it..........

Best way to learn I think wink.gif

+ Quote Post

Geoffrey   

ADMIN
Group: Administrators
Member No.: 5

Post #5

QUOTE(greybeard @ Mar 6 2012, 06:19 PM) *
You can pick up a Chinese one on Ebay for less than 60 bucks. Pick one up, study it, make a copy and then sell it..........

Best way to learn I think wink.gif

I second that. You'll save hours of trial and error if you have a reference to work from. Well worth the money you'd spend.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #6

For $75 you can get a very nice xiao. I know because I bought one in July of last year. It has a wonderful sound and looks great! wub.gif Good seller, too.

I'd advise you to be careful not to get a cheapo one because then your copy will be cheapo, too.

This post has been edited by tootieflutie58: Mar 7 2012, 03:32 AM

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th September 2014 - 03:52 PM