Latest Activity on the Portal:
Elena Owl Feather has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
Flute Notes has posted a new blog article titled "Flute Circle Games by Stephanie Baldridge". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» John Rainer, Jr Has Passed On...

robert@flutetree...   

Group: Members
Member No.: 179

Post #1

A copy of his obituary off the web:

John Chibonne Rainer Jr. passed away at the Payson Mountain View Hospital in Payson, Utah on June 14, 2011. John was internationally known for his creative Native American Flute music compositions. He was a former professor, counselor, and choral director for Native American students for the Indian Education program at Brigham Young University in Provo, Utah. John served a two year mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Southwest Indian Mission. John also served as Bishop in Utah and Branch President in Arizona.

He is survived by his wife, Mysti Dawn, his children Lillian Rainer, David Rainer, Kel Rainer, Marian Rainer, Arius Rainer, seven grandchildren, his brother Howard Rainer, sister Jane Hafen and brother Mark Lovecky.

John was a member of the Taos Pueblo Tribe in Northern New Mexico. He was also Creek from Oklahoma. Rainer’s cherished achievement was directing the Native American choir at Brigham Young University. These Native American students from various tribes and communities throughout the United States and Canada were encouraged to utilize their vocal talents. This choir represented the University while presenting Native American traditional musical presentations across America.

He also became a sought after master Native American flute maker and flutist. One of his flutes is on permanent exhibit at the LDS Church Museum. His beautiful music lives on in recorded compact discs.

John Rainer, beloved husband, father, brother, friend, musician and artist—you will be greatly missed.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Utah Chris   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 171

Post #2

Robert,

Thank you very much for posting John Ranier Jr.'s obituary. I'm sure many of us, even those of us from Utah, were unaware of his status and range of accomplishments throughout his lifetime.

Chris Oravec

+ Quote Post

Utah Chris   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 171

Post #3

Please forgive my misspelling. It's Rainer, not Ranier. I'm sorry.

Chris Oravec

+ Quote Post

pvanheuklom   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 53

Post #4

Very sad to hear ... I have a couple of his CDs that I enjoy. His legacy lives on.

+ Quote Post

Sonolucent   

Member No.: 921

Post #5

John Rainer, Jr., was the early inspiration to one of our own Finger Lakes Flute Circle members.

At the recent June meeting of the Finger Lakes Flute Circle, Ken told the story of how he heard John Rainer, Jr.'s music playing on audio cassette tape in the open air in New Mexico many years ago. He was drawn to the source, and met the man himself and learned of the Native American flute. John Rainer, Jr. and his music had a profound effect on Ken, starting him on his own journey with the Native American flute. John Rainer, Jr., through his flutes and his music, and through Ken to me, has so had an effect on my own life.

I was saddened to learn this morning of John Rainer, Jr.'s passing. I went to his web site www.johnrainerjr.com and his music, originally on audio cassette, may now be purchased on Compact Disc. In honor of his memory, in appreciation of his music, and in support of his family, I placed an order for his music and offered my condolences.

John Rainer, Jr. and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Jefferson

+ Quote Post

Cha oha   

Cha Oha
Member No.: 35

Post #6

Saddened to learn of his Crossing.... rest in peace J.R. jr......
Beth

+ Quote Post

Just Jim   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 638

Post #7

Although I have to admit I'm not sure if I recognize the name or not... it's always sad to lose another flute player. RIP sir.

+ Quote Post

Ronald Roybal   

Member No.: 1,864

Post #8

Anything that I have done with the flute is from standing on the shoulders of John Rainer, Jr.! His ability to extract such deep meaning from a simple melody indicated great giftedness. He was an inspiration to many!

This post has been edited by Ronald Roybal: Jun 29 2011, 08:26 AM

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #9

While I did not have the opportunity to meet him, I have enjoyed his music, and I have heard a number of first person stories about the man, from friends.

His flutes were the first ones I heard about, with a thumb hole.

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2017 - 07:41 AM