Latest Activity on the Portal:
Ron Bracale has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
AlexBooth has posted a new blog article titled "Passing the Torch: Flute Portal Ownership Announcment". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Connecticut ?, Any members, or lurkers, even ...

MonoLoco   

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,398

Post #1

Hi!

Anyone know of any Circles?
Anyone interested in starting a Circle? We can start with a line, with just two members, or maybe a triangle, etc...

-Scott

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Bill Heg   

Member No.: 489

Post #2

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ Feb 11 2012, 04:49 PM) *
Hi!

Anyone know of any Circles?
Anyone interested in starting a Circle? We can start with a line, with just two members, or maybe a triangle, etc...

-Scott

Hey Scott,
Been wondering the same thing, never heard of any Flute Circles in CT, but then again where does one look? What part of CT do you live? I am in Newtown over near Danbury.
Bill

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Post #3

QUOTE(Bill Heg @ Mar 3 2012, 06:16 AM) *
Hey Scott,
Been wondering the same thing, never heard of any Flute Circles in CT, but then again where does one look? What part of CT do you live? I am in Newtown over near Danbury.
Bill

Howdy, Bill:
Other than this Portal, and the I.N.A.F.A. (which has no circles listed for Connecticut ... but one in Rhode Island and one in Mass.), I don't know where to look either. There was, many years ago, a circle in the West Hartford area, led by Malcolm Shute. But that was when I was pretty new to the flute and wasn't ready to even consider joining a circle. He no longer hosts a circle. He is too busy, "... as Reiki Master/Teacher, Quantum Touch and EFT Practitioner, using sound and Guided Imagery to aid the body to relax, lower stress and pain, and focus on healing itself, by stimulating the body’s natural recuperative properties." Wow, that's a mouthful!

I'm down south, by the Sound, in Madison ... about 15 minutes east of New Haven ... 10 minutes north of exit 61 off I-95.
I'm up for a git-together, if you ever want to take a ride out my way some evening, or weekend. Back in my yoot, I was into CB radio, and we had "coffee breaks" from time to time, where we'd meet one another and hang out for some socializing ... nobody thought to bring any flutes, though! ;-) We just have to find a Flooter who lives betweeh us to be a Circle host ... somewhere like Orange, or Woodbridge!
~Scott

+ Quote Post

Bill Heg   

Post #4

Hey Scott,
Someplace in-between would be great, maybe there is someone out there that fits the bill, you never know. We'll have to kep an eye on this thread to see who maybe out there. I remember those CB radio days, it dd bring people together. As time permits maybe we can get together and talk flutes! For me that would be great as I don't really have a chance to discuss this "hobby" with anyone. I started with a High Spirits "A" a few years ago and the flute collection has grown, modestly. I would like to play better then I do, but I do play better then I did biggrin.gif .
Bill

+ Quote Post

Silver Crow   

Member No.: 2,311

Post #5

I would love to participate, I live near Norwich, it's possible I could get a room at our tribal Government building to meet in, that's in Uncasville.

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Post #6

Hello, fellow Nutmeggers !!!

Hmmm ... I wonder how far most Flute Circle members travel to meet (?).

Newtown to Norwich is about 90 miles - that's quite a ride.
Madison is pretty much in the middle. As such, I will offer to host our first get-together. It makes sense, as I have known the flute the longest, and (likely) have the most flutes. I also have a fun MicroCUBE amp to play with, so you can hear yourselves sound like Pros.
This does not mean that am ready to become a Flute Circle leader at this time, however. But, for an informal meet-n-greet, I'll glady supply refreshments and share all I can. I have two cats, so if you have allergies my place might not work out. No soda in-house, but there's always water, juice, milk, coffee, several teas, and beer!

Let's consider it and think about scheduling. I'm a 9-5'er, so it would have to after dinner time ... or, a weekend, but my weekends are generally for errands and chores, etc. Soooo ... my vote is for a weekday (evening), but I could do a weekend (daytime) if that works better for everyone else (makes a good excuse to avoid my chores!).

Silver Crow:
Do you know that a fine flute maker lives up in Lisbon? Jim Adams, of Cedars Song Flutes, has recently started selling on eBay. His flutes (at least the one I have, and he did win 1st place at Echoes in 2010) are very nice sounding - smooth and soft, but clear.
Also, my wife might be teaching a class one night a week up at the Mashuntucket Pequot Tribal Nation next month (or maybe June?). If that plan comes through, I could be her chauffeur and drop her off to her 4-hour class (ssheeshhh!) and then come play with you!
As the class gets scheduled, or cancelled, I'll let you know when that could happen.

So ...
1) MonoLoco, Madison (Scott)
2) Little Digger, in Vernon (Mark - often overseas)
3) Bill Heg, in Newtown
4) Silver Crow, Norwich

We have a potential flute square!
What'cha think ?????
~Scott

+ Quote Post

Silver Crow   

Post #7

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ Apr 11 2012, 03:37 PM) *
Silver Crow:
Do you know that a fine flute maker lives up in Lisbon? Jim Adams, of Cedars Song Flutes, has recently started selling on eBay. His flutes (at least the one I have, and he did win 1st place at Echoes in 2010) are very nice sounding - smooth and soft, but clear.
Also, my wife might be teaching a class one night a week up at the Mashuntucket Pequot Tribal Nation next month (or maybe June?). If that plan comes through, I could be her chauffeur and drop her off to her 4-hour class (ssheeshhh!) and then come play with you!
As the class gets scheduled, or cancelled, I'll let you know when that could happen.

We have a potential flute square!
What'cha think ?????
~Scott

Scott, any day and time is good for me except Sunday 8-4 that's when I work. I don't mind driving, hubby can drive, he can always play guitar background but he's also playing some with the flute. I am writing to Cedars Song too smile.gif

I'm also interested in your wife's class if it's not just for their tribal members.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #8

Ooh! Exciting! Wish I was closer!! Have fun! Take pics for us!

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Post #9

QUOTE(Silver Crow @ Apr 11 2012, 09:03 PM) *
I'm also interested in your wife's class if it's not just for their tribal members.

No, you're not interested - trust me. It's not a flute class, that's for sure! She would be teaching a college prep. class, but the start date is still pretty nebulous. My sweetie is not a flooter - but she tolerates mine pretty well ... generally.

I'm pretty sore currently, but a minor surgery next week should help. I'll probably need a couple of weeks to heal up some. If all goes well, I propose we try to schedule our first "unofficial" ... uhm, future Flute Circle visit at my place in the second or third week of May. Let's see who can come and then we can all PM one another to make plans. Bill and Mark ... does Madison in mid-May work for you guys???

+ Quote Post

Silver Crow   

Post #10

That is perfect. I can't wait to see more flutes, oh and to meet you all. lol

+ Quote Post

Bill Heg   

Post #11

Hi All,
Would love to meet you all, but weekdays will be difficult for me, weekends (Saturday?) would be better. Set up whatever works for you all and I will see if I can make it.
Bill from Newtown.....

+ Quote Post

Silver Crow   

Post #12

Any Saturday is good but May 12th.

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Post #13

PMs sent.

'any other CT NAsF fans wanna' come for a play date? (newbies wholeheartedly welcomed)

+ Quote Post

Little Digger   

Member No.: 1,728

Post #14

QUOTE(MonoLoco @ May 10 2012, 03:16 AM) *
PMs sent.

'any other CT NAsF fans wanna' come for a play date? (newbies wholeheartedly welcomed)

Hey Ya'll,
I've been away on leave for a while and haven't been checking the Portal. Gee, thanks for thinking of me.
Although I'd be interested in the circle, I'm back in Liberia, West Africa, where I work. There's a 4 hours time difference, so 2pm your time is 4pm my time, etc.
I doubt I could participate much online, except for texts, and sharing what flutes I have, and talking a bit about them.
I've been to Uncasville many times, which is about 45 minutes from me, but I can see where it would be quite a ride to make it there for some.
So, I'd love to participate to the extent that I can.
Take care.
Mark

+ Quote Post

Scottish Raven   

Member No.: 2,390

Post #15

Hi Everyone, I am new to the Portal, Flutes and Connecticut. I live in Manchester, and am making a flute of Staghorn Sumac. I would be interested in the circle. I will continue reading about what is going to be happening in the future.

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #16

Nice to see the beginnings of a flute circle forming. smile.gif

+ Quote Post

Bill Heg   

Post #17

QUOTE(Scottish Raven @ Jul 22 2012, 06:29 PM) *
Hi Everyone, I am new to the Portal, Flutes and Connecticut. I live in Manchester, and am making a flute of Staghorn Sumac. I would be interested in the circle. I will continue reading about what is going to be happening in the future.

Hey Scottish Raven, I hooked up once with MonoLoco (Scott) back 2 months ago for our first informal gathring. We discussed getting together again hoping it would have been July, but time just slipped away. We will try for another one soon, maybe you would care to join us? I would love to see the flute your making.
Bill

+ Quote Post

Clint   

Member No.: 240

Post #18

Hi All -

There used to be a flute circle in West Hartford, run by Malcolm Shute. Don Zimbleman was a frequent participant. Both are from that area.

And I'm based in Westport ... three more folks to add to the prosepctive list for the Nutmegger Flute Circle (a totally whimsical name).

If something gets cookin, I'd be happy to facilitate some musical activities. That's pretty much our main focus these days (facilitating flute workshops).

-Clint

+ Quote Post

MonoLoco   

Post #19

Man, I know I was warned about this, but I never realized just how true it is - I'm referring to how each year passes more quickly than the
previous year. The older ya' get, the faster time passes ... so it seems.

Yes, I still have intentions to start a Circle (of some sort, at least) ... I just don't know when! I recently posted an inquiry about how far
most folks travel for their Circles and I am still analyzing (I over-analyze everything). I have acquired more flutes, more sound equipment,
and learned more songs to share in the past year, so, in a way, I have never stopped "prepping" for the future Circle. This cold weather,
and my wife's frugal thermostat policy, makes it hard to think about anything!! At least the new time change gives us some more daylight,
to lessen the symptoms of S.A.D..

Clint, thanks again for your offer - once we get cookin', I look forward to having you add some seasoning to the pot.
I doubt this spring will be possible, but late summer, or early fall, are hopeful. I've got to think about the saying, "Just do it, already!!!", and
not get so hung-up on details. But ... no free time at the moment, regardless, so it must wait.

Peace, all.
~ Scott

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th August 2014 - 10:55 AM