Latest Activity on the Portal:
Dave Sproul has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
AlexBooth has posted a new blog article titled "Passing the Torch: Flute Portal Ownership Announcment". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Has Played Flute For A Long Time But Did Not Know How To, how to play tones of a higher pitch

Goga.Ali   

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,313

Post #1

I could not find a forum & topic more active & appropriate. The instrument I am speaking of is a Yamaha-Recorder Japan 44 & 21 models.

Let me explain my question please. I grew up in a Village so I was not sure that there are NOTES for recorders which one has to learn to play the Flute.

Over the years I have been practicing and I have to say I have learned a lot since just Recently,

I always thought flute had a very little range of tones in it, believing that leaving all holes open produces the highest pitch, and closing all would produce the lowest pitch sound. Until recently I heard this simple melody on YouTube "you raise me up on a Recorder" & I was like this is so easy! I should learn this! & THEN I noticed...i could not play the high pitch notes at all....

I cannot read notes because I learned how it sounds like all by myself and now I play songs with just my instincts...I want someone to tell me how to play tones with a pitch higher than the tone that is produced when all holes are left open..

Thank you so much..

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Phoebe3   

Member No.: 2,141

Post #2

Not sure whether you are asking about the extended scale on the recorder, which is played by slightly opening the thumb hole on the back and blowing a bit harder, of if you are asking about fingering the Native American Flute. If it's the flute, go here:

http://www.flutetree.com/songbook/scales/Extended.html

Note that there is a drop-down list at the top of the page because different flute makers have slightly different hole patterns for the high notes.

Hope this helps!

Phoebe

+ Quote Post

Goga.Ali   

Member No.: 2,313

Post #3

QUOTE(Phoebe3 @ Apr 9 2012, 05:27 AM) *
"Not sure whether you are asking about the extended scale on the recorder, which is played by slightly opening the thumb hole on the back and blowing a bit harder,"

Thank you so much! I think that's it haha..this is really exciting...really lessons can teach u a lot more than what one can learn by themselves...i feel like an amateur right now..

so its called the Extended Scale? please give me some terminologies so I can search for it on the internet..

once again thanks a million..it was always hard for people to understand what I was asking them lol..this has been a relief...really a magic trick I would never have learnt by myself

+ Quote Post

Phoebe3   

Member No.: 2,141

Post #4

Here is a Recorder fingering chart. The top dot is the thumb hole, the lines represent the joints between the sections of the recorder. Good luck!

http://www.dolmetsch.com/efingeringchart.pdf

And this chart is nore interactive and lets you pick the type of recorder and key:

http://www.recorder-fingerings.com/en/index.php

Happy playing,
Phoebe

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd October 2014 - 08:27 PM