Latest Activity on the Portal:
Dave Sproul has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
AlexBooth has posted a new blog article titled "Passing the Torch: Flute Portal Ownership Announcment". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

» Flute Making Forum Guidelines

Even though we encourage members to share their experience in this section, ideally we'd like to keep an "amateur" flavor to it.

If you are a novice flute maker (for example) and are looking for feedback on your first creations, or if you are an experienced professional who is assisting a new maker, that is great.

However, if you are a professional who is selling their work anywhere, then in the interest of maintaining the no selling policy of this site (both in the letter and the spirit of the law) we ask that you do not showcase your work here, even if you are not actively making a sales pitch or linking to your website. You may post technical photos that are illustrative of the principles of flute making, but please refrain from any postings that are solely for the purpose of showcasing your creations.

This will ensure that no one takes undue advantage of the open nature of this forum.

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» First Handmade Flute

creardon   

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,109

Post #1

Well I just made my first flute out of some of the bamboo I had found in my neighborhood and heat cured it. So far I am very pleased with how it turn out. I still have some fine tuning to do, but overall with this being my first ever flute made I am very impressed with it. I will post some pics after I get it completely finished.

Also what do most of you use as finish for your flutes. I mean do you just use some type of oil or do you a varnish? Would Shellac(sp?)be able to be used?

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #2

Congrats! Looking forward to pics!

+ Quote Post

Plume Blanche   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,277

Post #3

Yes, pics, pics, pics !!! smile.gif

+ Quote Post

creardon   

Post #4

Just an update. Still working on the flute. Had a very busy end to the school year. My wife had volunteered me to make the graduation video for my youngest daughters 5th grade graduation. Did work on it a little in between working on the video, also started work on another one as well.

This post has been edited by creardon: May 28 2012, 06:15 AM

+ Quote Post

creardon   

Post #5

Well the first flute didn't turn out very well. Actually it turn out at all, but I did take another try at making one. This one took me a little longer to make as I got really frustrated and stopped working on it for a long time. I did start working on it again and finally got it making music. It is still a little breathy, but am working in fine tuning it. I believe it turned out pretty good and am kind of proud if myself. It needs to be finished, was thinking if putting some type of varnish on it. Then at looking at the colors of it from the heat curing, I think I am just going to use some polyurethane to coat the inside and out. Here is a pic of the flute.Attached File  image.jpg ( 1.3MB ) Number of downloads: 39

This post has been edited by creardon: Dec 9 2012, 07:50 AM

+ Quote Post

creardon   

Post #6

Is there anything better to use to finish the flute other than polyurethane? I really would prefer not to use a colored varnish as I don't want to take away from the color attained during the heat curing.

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #7

I have always used salad bowl finish for my few flutes I have put a finish on. It is easy to wipe on, but you should apply several coats, and use 4 ought steel wool, to smooth the finish between coats. the final coat should leave it looking pretty perfect.

On bamboo, you can choose to use oil, but that will darken and shift the color, over time, I think.

The makers will have more knowledgeable info than I do.

+ Quote Post

LakolSiyotanka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 1,730

Post #8

QUOTE(creardon @ Dec 9 2012, 07:48 AM) *
Well the first flute didn't turn out very well. Actually it turn out at all, but I did take another try at making one. This one took me a little longer to make as I got really frustrated and stopped working on it for a long time. I did start working on it again and finally got it making music. It is still a little breathy, but am working in fine tuning it. I believe it turned out pretty good and am kind of proud if myself. It needs to be finished, was thinking if putting some type of varnish on it. Then at looking at the colors of it from the heat curing, I think I am just going to use some polyurethane to coat the inside and out. Here is a pic of the flute.Attached File  image.jpg ( 1.3MB ) Number of downloads: 39

Better to not put anything on it if you heat cured it already

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th September 2014 - 06:54 PM