Latest Activity on the Portal:
Ron Bracale has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
AlexBooth has posted a new blog article titled "Passing the Torch: Flute Portal Ownership Announcment". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Lurking And Listening

A Murder of Crow...   

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,322

Post #1

Well, I've decided to come out of the "lurking closet" and introduce myself. My name is Donna and I live in Texas. I've been in love with NAF for as long as I can remember. It touches something deep within me. It's close and personal and very intense. One my great grandmothers was Comanche and the other was Mohican. I don't know, but I think maybe this is where it comes from. I can feel them in the music of the flutes.

I've so enjoyed all of the forums and information that is readily available. I bought my first flute in the key of A a short time ago. I have to say, I'm just not in love with the sound. It's not really low and mellow. Having small hands and fingers I know I'm very limited. After having searched the forums and web, I've decided to get another flute in the key of G. I've ordered the "Signature" flute from Roger McGee of Wind Dancer Flutes. I loved the craftsmanship and naturalness of the flute. It will be here tomorrow and I'm just beside myself with anticipation. Well, I've rambled on enough.

Let me just repeat myself and say I'm so happy to have found this site! There are no Pow Wows, Flute Circles or flute players anywhere near me. The closest circle is over 3 hours away. You all will have to be my circle. I'll just enjoy sitting outside, all alone and enjoying the sounds of the flute. I guess, after all...that's really what it's all about.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #2

Hi Donna,

Welcome! So glad you've decided to come out of the lurker's closet!

You know, I think as individuals, we connect to different keys. I don't care for the key of A at all. I think, because like you, it isn't low and mellow. I have small hands, too, but I can play F# and some Es. I have a Redwood F# by Randy Stenzel that is to die for! I love it!

I have had a couple of Roger's flutes. They are very nice. I gifted one because I could tell it belonged to the person. I sold the other one because it was made from cedar and I am allergic to cedar. I thought I could try again, but wasn't able to. huh.gif But it was a great flute.

Let us know what you think of that new flute when it arrives!

+ Quote Post

Silver Crow   

Member No.: 2,311

Post #3

Hi Donna, I'm new too. I have two flutes in G and love them my next will be f#.

+ Quote Post

A Murder of Crow...   

Member No.: 2,322

Post #4

Thank you both for the welcome and the info on the F flutes. Hopefully I can find one I can try out!

+ Quote Post

Cha oha   

Cha Oha
Member No.: 35

Post #5

Welcome Donna,
The sound of the Native Flute has gotten hold of a lot of us. It's is a magical instrument as you will soon discover (if not already).
If you get the chance, go to some of the flute related festivals where you can try out flutes to see what fits. But consider yourself warned...... we (and soon you I bet) are flute-a-holics..... and we can't help ourselves... wink.gif
Beth

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #6

QUOTE(Cha oha @ Apr 11 2012, 11:08 PM) *
Welcome Donna,
The sound of the Native Flute has gotten hold of a lot of us. It's is a magical instrument as you will soon discover (if not already).
If you get the chance, go to some of the flute related festivals where you can try out flutes to see what fits. But consider yourself warned...... we (and soon you I bet) are flute-a-holics..... and we can't help ourselves... wink.gif
Beth

Hey! ohmy.gif Who says we are flute-a-holics?! Speak for yourself! I'm not! I only have 1 classical flute, 1NAF drone, 1 Anasazi, 9 NAFs (Oops - I think 10, no 11. Wait! I forgot about that branch one - so 12), 1 Xaphoon, 3 ocarinas, 3 xiao and 1 penny whistle that is on the way.

See? I am not a flute-a-holic. I am not a flute-a-hol... Oh, darn! rolleyes.gif tongue.gif laugh.gif

+ Quote Post

Keith Glowka   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 152

Post #7

Welcome, Donna! Texas has three active flute circles, but it's big enough to easily be three hours or more away from one. I had been pretty active in the one in Austin, but I moved about 1-2 hours away, so I know what you mean about the drive.

If you ever are in Austin on a third Saturday of the month, the Lone Start Flute Circle is a great bunch of folks. You might also run into me, if I happen to be "in town". The circle's web site is:

http://lonestarflutecircle.com/

Again, welcome the to the Portal, and enjoy that new flute!

Keith

QUOTE(A Murder of Crows @ Apr 11 2012, 03:20 PM) *
Well, I've decided to come out of the "lurking closet" and introduce myself. My name is Donna and I live in Texas. I've been in love with NAF for as long as I can remember. It touches something deep within me. It's close and personal and very intense. One my great grandmothers was Comanche and the other was Mohican. I don't know, but I think maybe this is where it comes from. I can feel them in the music of the flutes.

I've so enjoyed all of the forums and information that is readily available. I bought my first flute in the key of A a short time ago. I have to say, I'm just not in love with the sound. It's not really low and mellow. Having small hands and fingers I know I'm very limited. After having searched the forums and web, I've decided to get another flute in the key of G. I've ordered the "Signature" flute from Roger McGee of Wind Dancer Flutes. I loved the craftsmanship and naturalness of the flute. It will be here tomorrow and I'm just beside myself with anticipation. Well, I've rambled on enough.

Let me just repeat myself and say I'm so happy to have found this site! There are no Pow Wows, Flute Circles or flute players anywhere near me. The closest circle is over 3 hours away. You all will have to be my circle. I'll just enjoy sitting outside, all alone and enjoying the sounds of the flute. I guess, after all...that's really what it's all about.

+ Quote Post

tx flute   

Member No.: 1,021

Post #8

Welcome to the Portal. Let us know how you like your new flute from Roger.... he makes very nice flutes.

+ Quote Post

curlgirl64   

Member No.: 1,433

Post #9

Welcome, Donna!
My last flute was a custom made flute by Roger. It is a memorial for my beloved Shasta. Roger has a unique gift for hitting things on the head, so to speak, and producing a flute that is uniquely yours and special. I hope you enjoy your flute as much as I do from Roger. He is a special person.

+ Quote Post

peabody54   

Member No.: 2,315

Post #10

I read the story of your flute and your precious little dog. It was so sweet and touching. Our fur family is such a large part of our life. The flute Roger made you is just remarkable!

+ Quote Post

David.D   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 216

Post #11

Hello Donna and welcome to the portal.

Peace,
David

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd August 2014 - 09:33 PM