Latest Activity on the Portal:
Ron Bracale has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
AlexBooth has posted a new blog article titled "Passing the Torch: Flute Portal Ownership Announcment". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Changing A Totem

Esperanza   

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,573

Post #1

I received a flute in the mail today that I ordered at the beginning of December. It plays well however it does not have the totem that I requested in my order. Is it a big deal to get a different totem on a flute or are they made to match right at the time the flute is crafted?

Before I contact the maker about this detail, I'd like to understand a little more so I can decide what my best option would be.....would the flute have to be mailed back, for instance?

thanks for any guidance.

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

freckledsophie   

Member No.: 16

Post #2

Odds are that if you get the block/bird/totem from the same flute maker, it'll work and sound just fine.

+ Quote Post

harper   

Member No.: 598

Post #3

The Totem should come right off once you un-wrap the leather ties.

+ Quote Post

Esperanza   

Post #4

QUOTE(harper @ Jan 21 2013, 05:40 PM) *
The Totem should come right off once you un-wrap the leather ties.

Thanks Harper, but I don't have any troubles removing the totem. Its more a case of aesthetics. I chose a specific totem, non animal, and received an animal design instead.

From what specklesophie says, it sounds like a totem that is crafted for a flute even after the original flute has been finished will probably still fit given it is made by the same maker. I'm guessing that the necessary width of the block would be familiar to the maker so it shouldn't be a problem to get the totem I wanted without having to return the flute to the maker, is that right?

+ Quote Post

Rick McDaniel   

Top Contributor
Member No.: 75

Post #5

Depends on where the flue is. If it is in the block, you should return the flute to have the block replaced. If it is in the body, then that may not be necessary.

Rick

QUOTE(Esperanza @ Jan 21 2013, 04:12 PM) *
I received a flute in the mail today that I ordered at the beginning of December. It plays well however it does not have the totem that I requested in my order. Is it a big deal to get a different totem on a flute or are they made to match right at the time the flute is crafted?

Before I contact the maker about this detail, I'd like to understand a little more so I can decide what my best option would be.....would the flute have to be mailed back, for instance?

thanks for any guidance.

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #6

Contact the maker. They can tell you whether you need to send it back or not. I personally think sending it back is a better option so that you know the totem works with your flute - instead of getting it, it not working, and you still have to send it back.

+ Quote Post

Esperanza   

Post #7

QUOTE(tootieflutie58 @ Jan 22 2013, 05:46 AM) *
Contact the maker. They can tell you whether you need to send it back or not. I personally think sending it back is a better option so that you know the totem works with your flute - instead of getting it, it not working, and you still have to send it back.

Yes, that makes sense and actually what I thought might be the case.

Shipping took a while and I paid customs as well so I think maybe I'll just work on bonding with the current totem rather than requesting a swap.

Thank you for your advice.

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th July 2014 - 04:21 AM