Latest Activity on the Portal:
Dave Sproul has added tracks to the music area. Listen to free music today!
AlexBooth has posted a new blog article titled "Passing the Torch: Flute Portal Ownership Announcment". Read this article...

Hello, Guest. Welcome to the Native American Flute Portal Forums!

Thanks for visiting our forums. If you would like to join our wonderful community, please click on the 'create account' button below. Remember, as soon as you join us, you will have access to post in our forums as well as other features on the portal such as flute circles, events, music uploads, and more! Registration only takes a moment to complete!

Click here to create an account!

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
» Mack Hoover Whistles, I got a box of Sunshine!!

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #1

I received a box from Mack Hoover yesterday!! biggrin.gif
http://praisewhistlers.org/mackhooverwhistles/

These are lovely, elegant sweet voiced whistles! AND they are quiet. Ellie actually can tolerate them! YAY!!

I got a high D, a high C, and a mid G. The D and C are made of brass and the G is PVC. All three are made with quality craftsmanship.

The Hoover C is a lovely, elegant, warm sounding whistle. I was afraid the brass would be too loud since I've been playing my wooden one. Actually, I think the Hoover C isn't as loud as the wooden one. I was afraid the metal would be harsh sounding, but it isn't. It has a very sweet voice. I really like this C whistle!

The Hoover D is a sweet whistle, too. This is actually one of Mack's Whitecap mouthpieces on a Feadog whistle body. This one needs a mite more breath control. I now realize that playing a whistle like this is going to be harder than playing one that needs more air. That was a surprise. This D will be a great whistle to help me to do a better job with breath control. It will really make me be intentional and that is very important. I like this little whistle! It will challenge me to do better!

The Hoover G - It is a little harder for me to play because of the wider bore, for one thing. This one also seems to need regular breath (for a Hoover) on the first octave but more breath on the second octave to play in tune. Of course, it is a larger bore and that is going to require more air. I like the sound of it - kind of a woodsy sound.

As to Ellie, the jury is still out but she at least doesn't hate them! When I play my wooden whistle, no matter where she is, she comes running and complains until I stop. So far, when I've played the Hoovers, this hasn't happened! YAY! I was really surprised at that because I was playing them for a good while!

She does have sensitive ears and doesn't like high pitches but she doesn't like my NAFs either and they aren't high pitched. Hm . . . maybe it's my stinky playing . . . Thankfully, these whistles are so sweet that they don't sound harsh and shrill.

ANYWAY, it looks like she can tolerate the Hoovers! I won't go so far as to say she likes them - at least not yet. Maybe as I improve! At least with the Hoovers, I will be able to practice in peace!!

I really do like these whistles! They are going to get a lot of play time!! They are very well tuned and have sweet voices. They seem very responsive (as far as a newbie can tell). I think they will like playing some fast jigs once I learn them.

Mack also makes a telescoping whistle that collapses down small enough to fit in your pocket or purse! I'm hoping to get one of those next! Here is a review from Chiff and Fipple on those. http://forums.chiffandfipple.com/viewtopic...coping#p1106296

Oops! Almost forgot! The D and G are tunable. You can get them either way from Mack. He is a great guy to work with! I highly recommend his whistles and whitecap mouthpieces!

OK, pics!! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by tootieflutie58: Apr 7 2013, 02:54 PM
Attached File(s)
Attached File  072.JPG ( 420.27K ) Number of downloads: 50

Go to the top of the page 
 + Quote Post

Terry B   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,511

Post #2

Hey, they look nice.is there any way to post a sound clip of the big one? rolleyes.gif

+ Quote Post

tootieflutie58   

Top Contributor
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 30

Post #3

QUOTE(Terry B @ Apr 8 2013, 02:11 AM) *
Hey, they look nice.is there any way to post a sound clip of the big one? rolleyes.gif

Wish I could help you out, but I don't have the equipment to do that. huh.gif

+ Quote Post

Terry B   

Top Contributor
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,511

Post #4

Aw shucks!...well have fun.It looks like you'll be playing for a while biggrin.gif

+ Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic
1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 31st October 2014 - 06:41 AM