Forum Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Can Anyone Confirm This Story?
The Flute Portal Forums > Flute Community > The Think Tank
Utah Chris
Hi, all,

Has anyone heard of a practice by the Southeast Cherokee nation (before the march to OK) of playing flutes especially to elders to calm them and get them to sleep? I just heard this in oral history form from a native american flute player (Shawnee) who really knows his flute history, and I want to track it down.
Rick McDaniel
No, but then I am not entirely indoctrinated in the culture, either. I would suspect though, that they were used by Medicine Men, in healing practice, and would have been used with the elderly, for that purpose. The Cherokee had a very good knowledge of healing remedies, acquired from the plants of the eastern forests. Some of that is applicable today.

Perhaps you could ask Cody Swimmer about that, as he is full blood Eastern Band, from Cherokee, NC, now living near Houston, TX. He has been on the tribal council, in the past, when he was in NC, and would likely have much more knowledge of flute history, in the tribe, than I do.
Kat
It would sure work for ME!! Wanna come play for me and try?

What are you doing on the Portal today, Chris? Thought you were in Sedona? or is the store that sells the Gomez flutes closed today? wink.gif
Erich Graywolf
QUOTE(Utah Chris @ Sep 27 2009, 09:18 AM) *
Hi, all,

Has anyone heard of a practice by the Southeast Cherokee nation (before the march to OK) of playing flutes especially to elders to calm them and get them to sleep? I just heard this in oral history form from a native american flute player (Shawnee) who really knows his flute history, and I want to track it down.

Chris, The Cherokee had/has several ceremonies involving the flute. Cherokee flutes as old as 1000 years has been found.

Here are a couple sites to start your search;

http://www.hubpages.com/hub/music-and-the-cherokee-indians

http://www.cherokeebyblood.com/chersociety.htm

Hope this helps,

Graywolf
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.