Forum Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Penny Whistles
The Flute Portal Forums > Whistles > Whistle General Discussion
Pages: 1, 2, 3
knighthawk
I'm looking for a good Penny whistle.I've been playing Naf for about six year's now and lookin to expand.any recomendation's?
Thank's for any info on this topic.
greybeard
You do not have to spend a lot of money to get a good whistle. Take a look at the Irish Flute Store:

http://shop.irishflutestore.com/Irish-Whistles_c4.htm

The Jerry Freeman "tweaked" whistles are a good deal and are in the $30-40 range.

Ed
bigsky
QUOTE(greybeard @ Feb 10 2011, 08:10 AM) *
You do not have to spend a lot of money to get a good whistle. Take a look at the Irish Flute Store:

http://shop.irishflutestore.com/Irish-Whistles_c4.htm
The Jerry Freeman "tweaked" whistles are a good deal and are in the $30-40 range.

Ed

I'll second Ed's recommendation. I have a Jerry Freeman "Tweaked Mellow Dog" and I am very pleased with it. Although it is a high pitched flute (high D,) it has a sweet, classic sound to my ear, and I've been told by folks who've heard me play it, that it is not a shrill whistle. It is fairly smooth transitioning between octaves, plays quickly, and is tuned well. It is not an airy sounding whistle, so if you prefer an airy sound, you may want to consider a different whistle. I might also recommend that you visit some of the sites that showcase whistle tunes, as some of the artists list what kind of flute they played on their song. Two that is frequent are "Irish Whistle Tunes" and "Tin Whistle Tunes." (Sorry...I don't know how to attach the links...) Have fun!
Tom
salsadj
QUOTE(bigsky @ Feb 10 2011, 09:08 AM) *
I'll second Ed's recommendation. I have a Jerry Freeman "Tweaked Mellow Dog" and I am very pleased with it. Although it is a high pitched flute (high D,) it has a sweet, classic sound to my ear, and I've been told by folks who've heard me play it, that it is not a shrill whistle. It is fairly smooth transitioning between octaves, plays quickly, and is tuned well. It is not an airy sounding whistle, so if you prefer an airy sound, you may want to consider a different whistle. I might also recommend that you visit some of the sites that showcase whistle tunes, as some of the artists list what kind of flute they played on their song. Two that is frequent are "Irish Whistle Tunes" and "Tin Whistle Tunes." (Sorry...I don't know how to attach the links...) Have fun!
Tom

I also recommend a Parks Whistle, very high quality, tunable, nearly indestructible and they have a very unique feature; volume control.
Jeff G
QUOTE(knighthawk @ Feb 10 2011, 10:00 AM) *
I'm looking for a good Penny whistle.I've been playing Naf for about six year's now and lookin to expand.any recomendation's?
Thank's for any info on this topic.
Kerry Whistles

very nice whistles
freckledsophie
Susato can be found here as well as lots of other interesting instruments:

http://www.susato.com/konakart/Welcome.do

Great stuff here as well: http://www.sweetheartflute.com/index.html

Rick McDaniel
Not a fan of the common tin whistles, including the Freeman whistles, but I know of a couple good wooden whistle makers in high D. In low D or other keys, Chieftain seems among the leaders.

Kevin knows some other good options, but you may have to custom order.

I got one from a maker in CA, in high D, in purpleheart, last month, and I am quite pleased with it.

Most whistles are much touchier to play, than NAF, so it will take some getting used to.
freckledsophie
I've got a Susato Dublin model in low F. It's got that key for the very bottom hole so I don't have to stretch so much. Sounds good and it's not expensive. There are even lower models with 2 or even 3 keys so the reach isn't bad.
Prairie Wolf
If you want to watch some You Tube videos of a guy who can really play the tin whistle, low Irish whistle, fiddle, and other instruments, check this guy out!
The Tin Whistler
knighthawk
Thank's for all the feed back.I got a Generation D whistle a few week's ago.I have to say it doesn't play very well.
Maybe it's me,I don't know.It feel's more like a toy.I was lookin a whistle from Erik the flute maker.
Does it make a difference weather it made of wood or metal?
Rick McDaniel
Nope. The wood just has a nicer sound, to me. I also have a bamboo one from Erik, that while it took me some time to get the feel for, I can now play pretty well. Has a plastic mouthpiece, of course. It also has a nicer sound to me.

That isn't to say, that a Chieftain high D wouldn't have a good sound. It will.....and they come in tunable construction.

Big difference in those things, by brand.
knighthawk
Sound's like I got more to think about.I think the Penny Whistle is doable though. smile.gif
I'll check out a Chieftain whistle.
Rick McDaniel
Tunable high D runs about $220. Tunable low D about $300. They are NOT toys.
salsadj
If we're talking high end whistles then I highly recommend Burke Whistles. They have a beautiful and sweet tone. If you want the Stradivarius of wood whistles then that would be Oz Whistles. There's a one to two years waiting list. I waited 20 months for mine

Rod
Coatlique
QUOTE(salsadj @ Feb 11 2011, 08:21 PM) *
If we're talking high end whistles then I highly recommend Burke Whistles. They have a beautiful and sweet tone. If you want the Stradivarius of wood whistles then that would be Oz Whistles. There's a one to two years waiting list. I waited 20 months for mine
Rod

You guys are BAD!! If I had known about these high end whistles I would have stuck with pennywhistle and may never have found the NAF. Now I want not just one but a whole set of whistles, and they're just as expensive as flutes! Arrrrggghhh! I can't really afford my flute addiction, and now I've got a pennywhistle jones starting up. Is there a Fluteaholics Anonymous branch anywhere? I think I need one.

Coatlique

Just Jim
QUOTE(Coatlique @ Feb 12 2011, 01:11 AM) *
You guys are BAD!! If I had known about these high end whistles I would have stuck with pennywhistle and may never have found the NAF. Now I want not just one but a whole set of whistles, and they're just as expensive as flutes! Arrrrggghhh! I can't really afford my flute addiction, and now I've got a pennywhistle jones starting up. Is there a Fluteaholics Anonymous branch anywhere? I think I need one.

Coatlique

I'm also really hooked on the Pennywhistle sound, but I can't afford to buy any, so I'm almost done with my first prototype... give me a few weeks and I'm gonna make one of my own... hehehe
knighthawk
$220.00 to $300.00 is a little out of my price range right now.
I know of a fluteaholic's branch,but you have to have at least 25 flutes to get in. biggrin.gif
The problem is,if you already have 25 flutes,it's already too late. laugh.gif
I'll still give the Penny whistle a try,but I need to stay in the $50.00 or $60.00 range.
I think I'll give Erik the flute maker a try for a Penny Whistle.
Rick McDaniel
The high D I got, in purpleheart was $65. Not that bad, and certainly less than a Chieftain.
Coatlique
I've heard good things about Jerry Freeman's tweaked Mellow Dog too. Never played one, but they're in the $50-60 range.

Coatlique
standingbear
I got a tweaked Jerry Freeman Blackbird for around 42.00 from Whistle Stop. Although pennywhistles will never replace NASFs, they make for a fun diversion.

QUOTE(Coatlique @ Feb 12 2011, 08:50 AM) *
I've heard good things about Jerry Freeman's tweaked Mellow Dog too. Never played one, but they're in the $50-60 range.

Coatlique

Just Jim
QUOTE(standingbear @ Feb 12 2011, 12:41 PM) *
I got a tweaked Jerry Freeman Blackbird for around 42.00 from Whistle Stop. Although pennywhistles will never replace NASFs, they make for a fun diversion.

The biggest reason I want one is this local (relatively local) Celtic band I keep running into. I saw them last year the Greenfrog Moon festival, and they sounded amazing. I was next to Mark Wags table, and grabbing up all the flutes I could trying to play along. Now I'm fast enough to keep up with this guy, but none of the flutes I tried sounded right. It was later I learned he was playing a pennywhistle, probably diatonic, not an NAsF, which was why I couldn't match up with him.
I have been facinated with pennywhistles since that day.
Rick McDaniel
The one I got from Erik, in bamboo, was just $10. Plays every bit as well as a Freeman.
knighthawk
I wish I could find one from Erik for $10.00.
They cost $50.00 to $60.00 now.
I believe I'll be getting one from him very soon.
Jason Paul
I'll also recommend Jerry Freeman's whistles. He's one of the most respected people in the whistle community, and he stands behind them famously.

What Jerry does is take cheap whistles (like Generations), and tweaks them to make them play easier/better. The Mellow Dog is actually the combination of one maker's head (still Feadog?), and a Walton ("Mellow D") body - unless things have changed. He's made some improvements in recent years. Here's a link to a post with sound clips: Jerry Freeman's whistle clips. I have no affiliation with Jerry, and if I'm breaking any rules by posting that link, feel free to remove it.

I have one of his Mellow Dogs, and it's a great whistle. I would recommend spending the extra $5.00 (unless it's changed) for the C body. I think that's still less than $50.

I also have a Parks Every Whistle (mentioned earlier). It's also a very nice whistle (PVC), and has the volume control on it, but I think it's slightly out of your price range.

As far as Erik's whistles; unless things have changed, he just tunes a bamboo body and attached as Susato head. I don't have one, but I rarely see them discussed on the whistle forum (chiff and fipple).

I'd bet that most people in the whistle community would recommend Jerry Freeman over Erik. It's like the NAF's that Erik makes. They're probably fine, but you might be happier with a maker who focuses more on the NAF, rather than Erik, who makes several different types of flutes. Same with the whistle.

I don't have a whistle by Erik, so I can't speak from personal experience there. I'm just sharing my thoughts after spending lots of time being active on the whistle forum over the last 5-6 years.

Whistles can take some time to get used to. They're not quite as easy to play as the NAF. It's very common for new players to get a lot of squeaks and squawks, and think something is wrong with the whistle. It just takes practice and a generally light touch with the air.

Hope that helps!
Jason
Jeff G
QUOTE(Just Jim @ Feb 12 2011, 03:50 PM) *
The biggest reason I want one is this local (relatively local) Celtic band I keep running into. I saw them last year the Greenfrog Moon festival, and they sounded amazing. I was next to Mark Wags table, and grabbing up all the flutes I could trying to play along. Now I'm fast enough to keep up with this guy, but none of the flutes I tried sounded right. It was later I learned he was playing a pennywhistle, probably diatonic, not an NAsF, which was why I couldn't match up with him.
I have been facinated with pennywhistles since that day.

chances are he was playing a D whistle.. a Bm NAF would work...
freckledsophie
Oh, man.....after seeing/hearing that Oz whistle on their website, I so, so want one.
freckledsophie
In fact, after I posted that, I fired off an email to Mitch. I may have to wait a while, but I'm sure it'll be worth it.
knighthawk
I wish I'd known about Jerry's whistles before I got my Generation.I'll still have a look though.
I really don't like the generation,but it's not worth the cost to send it back. sad.gif
Jason Paul
Everyone should have a Generation anyway. If you practice, over time you may find that your Generation isn't as bad as you initially thought. Besides, they're cheap.

Jason
freckledsophie
'Just got an email back from Mitch and I've ordered my whistle. It's going to be a long wait.

I asked him what he would recommend in a less expensive whistle that might keep my occupied in the meantime and here's part of his post:

I would recommend – for a decent whistle to be getting on with – Jerry Freeman makes a brilliant whistle called the “Mellow Dog” – this one is as close to my voicing as I know with similar playing characteristics .. Jerry takes mass-produced whistles and re-engineers them to be much more reliable and timbral – well worth the investment – Doc Jones (The Irish Flute Store http://shop.irishflutestore.com/) has them in the USA (not sure where you are) but you can also get them direct off Jerry’s Ebay Store.
freckledsophie
I also just ordered something to play during the long wait for my Oz Whistle. for 41 dollars or so, I orderd a Jerry Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog in the D/C combo. Two whistles for nearly the price of one. 'Should be fun!
knighthawk
Thank's for all the feed back.I see what you mean by the Oz whistles.WOW!I'm gonna have a look at Jerry's whistle today.
It's either Jerry's or Erik's. smile.gif I'll let you know when I know biggrin.gif .
knighthawk
Well it's done.I got the same thing as sophie.It was to good a deal to pass up ,two for the price of one.
It was going to cost $60.00 for just one of erik's whistles.Now I will have two for $20.00 less.SWEET!!!! smile.gif
Thanks Everyone . laugh.gif I'll let you all know how it work's out.I can't wait.
freckledsophie
A nice review of 4 whistles by Tony Hinnigan: http://www.tonyhinnigan.com/movieplayer.ph...dWhistles09.wmv

And go to this page for Tony playing all kinds of stuff: http://www.tonyhinnigan.com/whistles.php#

Jason Paul
You'll both be getting good whistles.

That's the thing about Jerry's whistles. He's tweaked them to play well, so if you can't get more than squeaks and squawks, you'll know that the problem is YOU. biggrin.gif

I know the Mellow Dog has been updated since I got mine, so it may be different now, but it will probably take a very light breath. Start by just exhaling into it rather than blowing into it. I've found the C body to be a little easier to play, and being a full tone lower, it's a little easier on the ears as well.

A whistle will take more "practice" than an NAF.

Keep us posted!

Jason
knighthawk
I still like the wood ones best.I guess being a Naf player I just like the wood better.The Metal just seems cold and unfeeling.
Cource the wood ones cost alot more too.I have to agree,the high D hurts my ears on the highest note.
I figure if I can get the tin whistles to sound half way decent I can spend a little more on a nice wood one down the road.
If it doesn't work out for me I've not spent a whole lot and I'll always have my Naf's. smile.gif smile.gif
freckledsophie
'Thought I'd share this link from Tony's site where he plays and compares many different whistles. A great resource for helping make decisions on which whistles to purchase:

http://www.tonyhinnigan.com/moviedl.php?group=29#

freckledsophie
Here's a great list of whistle makers I've found:

http://whistle.jeffleff.com/makers.html

knighthawk
Truth to tell sad.gif .I cancelled my order for the mellow dog whistles.The more I mess with my generation whistle the more I hate it.
I'm going with wood instead of metal even if I have to pay more.
Rick's turned me on to the flutemaker.com.
I believe I'll get one from him or Erik.
The metal just doesn't do it for me.
Thank's for all the feed back on this topic.It's been a great help. smile.gif
In Spirit to all.
golden
QUOTE(knighthawk @ Feb 19 2011, 08:10 AM) *
Rick's turned me on to the flutemaker.com.

I went to the flutemaker.com website and the site was silver whistles. Do you mean theflutemaker.com?
Rick McDaniel
http://www.theflutemaker.com/

tootieflutie58
Knighthawk,

There's a $45 travel wooden whistle. http://www.theflutemaker.com/index.php?id=112
knighthawk
Yes I saw them.I like the purple heart $65.00 one's too. smile.gif
knighthawk
I just ordered a whistle from theflutemaker.com. smile.gif
I wish he made some in the key of C . sad.gif
I guess if I want a whistle in C,I'll have to get one from Eric.
I sure wish I could afford one of those OZ whistles.They look and sound fantastic.
tootieflutie58
So, which one did you order?
ChrisK
QUOTE(knighthawk @ Feb 20 2011, 01:25 PM) *
I just ordered a whistle from theflutemaker.com. smile.gif
I wish he made some in the key of C . sad.gif
I guess if I want a whistle in C,I'll have to get one from Eric.
I sure wish I could afford one of those OZ whistles.They look and sound fantastic.

Please let us know how you like it.
knighthawk
I ordered the purple heart one.Yes I will let everyone know how I like it.
Rick has one and likes it just fine.I can't wait.Is it here yet! laugh.gif
knighthawk
I'm now looking for penny whistle song tab's.Does eneyone know a web site I can go to?
Cool Breeze
QUOTE(knighthawk @ Feb 23 2011, 04:34 PM) *
I'm now looking for penny whistle song tab's.Does eneyone know a web site I can go to?

I just did a quick Google search for you and came up with the following:

Whistle Away

Music Moz. This site alone lists 12 other sites with Pennywhistle Sheet Music.

Tin Whistler

Tin Whistle Song Notes

It looks like there's plenty more. smile.gif

Dave

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.