Forum Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Walkabout By Vortex Sounds, My Monthly Subscription Prize
The Flute Portal Forums > Flute Community > Reviews
4wind

I really needed to get a review in for the Walkabout and I will add some sound clips when I figure out how to work my garage band. I finally have a little time to write a review.

The Walkabout came with everything needed to make my flutes sound beyond belief! The unit is compact and travels well in my flute bag and in a backpack.

It charges quickly through your computer. The other option is to get a wall outlet or through an adapter in your car. My new cell phone has a USB outlet that I use in the wall and in the car.

The assembly is quick; it is turned on when you plug the speakerís in. Each speaker has an on-switch. There are ten settings for sound effects and they are switched by push-button on the front face and have a digital readout to let you know which one you are playing. They are A0 thru A9. There is a volume adjustment on the top face.

The small microphone has an on/off switch. The clip on the microphone is perfect for rim blown flutes. On some NAFs I have a leather tie that attach to the fetish, this helps bring the microphone right to the side of the airstream.

I find that I really use the Walkabout on my Anasazi and rim blown the most. The canyon echoes really add a southing sound to this style of flutes. The A-7 to A-9 is some of my favorite settings when playing the rim blown. On A-5 the volume really explodes with a nice echo.

When I play the NAF I prefer the A1-A5 settings. I do play the deeper scales on the A5-A9 settings. The sound is awesome and loud.

You can really get lost playing your flute thru the Walkabout. I have played it in nice size room and outside. I have also played it behind a mike with others playing and it is picked up thru the other sound system.

I defiantly recommend the Walkabout if you are looking for a small portable self-contained sound system.

I see that they are vendors at Zion in May, stop by and try the system out!

I will have mine at Musial Echoes that anyone is welcome to try out.

cool.gif

john17
Thanks for the review 4wind. I've been contemplating getting a vortex unit, but haven't reconciled the price yet. I currently have a micro-cube amp which has reverb and echo, but it seems the vortex does much more and is quite a bit more portable/compact.

I'll just have to save my money for awhile.

So have you played it enough to know what kind of playing time you get before needing a recharge?

Again, thanks for taking the time to share your review with us. I look forward to hearing some of your sound clips.

In peace,

John
donuts
I have to agree John. ...Price and battery life are 2 huge factors. I`m wondering if the battery is removable so you could keep an extra on hand for back up like I do with my camera. The thing does look really nifty..Good find there 4wind.
streamhawk
I really like my Walkabout alot, and yes, it is a bit pricey, but can't be beat for portability and pure sound. Not the loudest unit out there, but it can be plugged directly into a separate amp for more volume. Battery life if around 10 hours, although I never let it get down that far, in fact, if it's available, I tend to plug it into a wall socket to save batteries. Pretty cool little unit if you don't let the price get in the way. Wonder if it would sound better with a mic upgrade, sounds great as is.

Bill
super-D
I am considering to get one as well!

I am kind of split beetwen that and micro cube?I have sent vortex crew a mail regarding the diffrent electricity current here in europe.

Dont own any of them two, since i just started to explore the flutes but that is the next thing i would invest my flute practice in!

Thanks for nice review!
highcountry
QUOTE(super-D @ Jun 30 2011, 10:09 PM) *
I am considering to get one as well!

I am kind of split beetwen that and micro cube?I have sent vortex crew a mail regarding the diffrent electricity current here in europe.

Dont own any of them two, since i just started to explore the flutes but that is the next thing i would invest my flute practice in!

Thanks for nice review!

MY GOODNESS FOLKS!!! WAKE UP!!! The Walkabout is very easy to replicate and indeed, improve upon at 1/2 the cost... Here it is again. Zoom B1, a pair of micro speakers, and a lapel mike......put it in a bag and call it done. ( if you want backing tracks simply add an Ipod) All for 1/2 the price of a Vortex unit......They use the same or similar components........ With the savings you can buy an awesome Roland Mobile Cube for $169......So, why not have both?
super-D
QUOTE(streamhawk @ Apr 25 2011, 05:50 PM) *
I really like my Walkabout alot, and yes, it is a bit pricey, but can't be beat for portability and pure sound. Not the loudest unit out there, but it can be plugged directly into a separate amp for more volume. Battery life if around 10 hours, although I never let it get down that far, in fact, if it's available, I tend to plug it into a wall socket to save batteries. Pretty cool little unit if you don't let the price get in the way. Wonder if it would sound better with a mic upgrade, sounds great as is.

Bill

I have my walkabout next week,i placed an order for it last week,,,
-just for the info- where do you plug the separate amp on it?
Missed that one when i was checking the specs, intresting!(would be nice to plugg in a looping pedal to it smile.gif )
kevin lahue
Received one for my birthday last week and am really loving this unit. Easy to use, sounds great and have had no problem with battery life as of yet. The only issue I've encountered is that I find I don't want to play without it as the effects add that extra dimension.
Titmouse
QUOTE(kevin lahue @ Aug 12 2011, 08:44 AM) *
Received one for my birthday last week and am really loving this unit. Easy to use, sounds great and have had no problem with battery life as of yet. The only issue I've encountered is that I find I don't want to play without it as the effects add that extra dimension.

Kevin,

Could you bring it next time you come to flute circle?

I tried it at Zion and it couldn't pick up my Anasazi very well but it was so noisy and windy there that I would like to try it again in a more controlled environment.

I'll try to remember to bring my Anasazi.

Art rolleyes.gif
kevin lahue
QUOTE(Titmouse @ Aug 12 2011, 02:59 PM) *
Kevin,

Could you bring it next time you come to flute circle?

I tried it at Zion and it couldn't pick up my Anasazi very well but it was so noisy and windy there that I would like to try it again in a more controlled environment.

I'll try to remember to bring my Anasazi.

Art rolleyes.gif

Interesting, as I haven't tired it outside yet so not sure about it performance in the field.
I live in Los Angeles and haven't attended a flute circle (maybe your thinkinh of a different Kevin)?
Although if there are flute circles happening in this area I would love to attend, so far I haven't found any.
Take care.
super-D
Hi all!
I received my vortex unit few days ago, and i can say that it is very addictive little funnypack!
It is well build,good sound,and versatile!
Very nice investment for my flute addiction and worth every penny!
I am glad that i bought it!
FlutePrayer
Hello guys

I have a friend that is very interested in buying the walkabout but the site is down for a few weeks now somebody know what is going on?

Are they still in business?

this is the address I have http://www.vortexsounds.com/

Thank you for your help
salsadj
Zoom A2, G2 or B1 or even a korg pandora mini has been pointed out, bought on amazon
Ihome iHM79 speakers buy at apple store or amazon
Audio Technica ATR-3350 Mic - bought on amazon
Lowepro EX140 bag $18 to $29 online - I chose this back because is has a mesh pocket on each side where I put the speakers. I cut holes to run the wires. Nice and neat.
highcountry
QUOTE(FlutePrayer @ May 15 2013, 06:04 PM) *
Hello guys

I have a friend that is very interested in buying the walkabout but the site is down for a few weeks now somebody know what is going on?

Are they still in business?

this is the address I have http://www.vortexsounds.com/

Thank you for your help

I think they went of of business awhile back. It is easy to build your own.
FlutePrayer
QUOTE(salsadj @ May 15 2013, 10:30 PM) *
Zoom A2, G2 or B1 or even a korg pandora mini has been pointed out, bought on amazon
Lowepro EX140 bag $18 to $29 online - I chose this back because is has a mesh pocket on each side where I put the speakers. I cut holes to run the wires. Nice and neat.

mmm Ok Thank You

This is all I need?

Do yo know if there is some video on youtube that shows how to put together all this, I am not very good with electronics, this is absolutely alien to me. blink.gif sad.gif blink.gif
FlutePrayer
QUOTE(salsadj @ May 15 2013, 10:30 PM) *

ok I searched all the components on amazon. I have a doubt People say they make this for $150 but only the Zoom A2 cost $178 and the speakers $38 .

From Zoom A2, G2 or B1 or even a korg pandora mini , which ones is the best?

Thank you
FlutePrayer
http://www.amazon.com/IHOME-iHM79BC-Rechar...+iHM79+speakers

When I change the colors it seams the model of the speakers change too

can I use any of the 3 or not all of them work?
MonoLoco
QUOTE(FlutePrayer @ Jun 5 2013, 10:40 AM) *
When I change the colors it seams the model of the speakers change too. Can I use any of the 3 or not all of them work?

It looks like just the suffix changes:
iHM79BC = Black Color
iHM79PC = Pink Color
iHM79(no prefix) = Blue

Interestingly, the Mfg's. website shows only Black, Red, and Silver ... no pink and no blue (???). Perhaps the Amazon seller purchased enough of them to have some custom-color production runs, or perhaps Amazon is showing last year's color offerings. Or - and I don't want to be an alarmist - perhaps the Amazon seller has a knockoff/clone ???

Assuming they are legit (easy to confirm with an eMail to the Mfg. ... http://www.ihomeaudio.com/iHM79BC/), I assume the various color sub-models should all be the same, in terms of their design and function.
Ronald Roybal
My Frankenrig consists of an Altec Lansing powered mini speaker ($20), Line6 Pocket Pod ($100), and a K&K Silver Bullet microphone and preamp ($130). I put it all in a video camera bag that has a meshed outside pocket on both ends where the speaker fits. It sounds better and louder than any Vortex I have ever heard. What's great is that I was using all the components for other purposes before getting into the ultra portable flute amp thing so it really didn't cost me anything extra. It's a great home made solution!
DaveNY
Ronald,

That is an awesome recommendation. The KK Microphone is exactly what the doctor ordered.

Looking at the microphone it says,

The Silver Bullet XLR preamp works either on phantom power or a 9-volt battery. The preamp provides the special 5-volt power the mic requires. On customer request, a preamp with 1/4" instrument line output (e.g. for combo amps) is also available. This unit does not work on phantom power. If you would like the 1/4" instrument jack line output version, please specify when ordering.

Wouldn't the preamp of an out put anyway? How else would you connect a speaker to the microphone? What's a combo amp?
Steve_p
Okay. here is mine.

Korg Pandora mini. uses 1 AA battery, USB interface to your PC to customize preset. very small, long battery life. Approx. $70 on ebay

Danelectro Honeytone amp. $19 This can also be attached to a belt and have the Mini Velcro to it.

9V rechargeable RC car batteries to power amp for a long time. ebay $15 I think two batteries and charger. I took the end off an old wall wart and crimped it to the battery connector.

PUTW mic. I trade for it. I also have a $30 Audio-Technica mic which sounds great also.

Bag $10 maybe.

CD is for size reference.

Sounds great, easy to make, lightweight, long battery life.

I have another Bluetooth setup in the works also...stay tuned.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Terry Mack
Anyone know what happen to the walkabout maker? His site has been down for some time.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.