Forum Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Walking Stick Flute Making
The Flute Portal Forums > World Flutes and Music > World Flutes General Discussion
zerocaine
I am wanting to make a walking stick flute out of bamboo, and figured I have one of two ways to best do it. NAF style, or transverse. I have made NAFs, but not transverse or anasazi/rimblown.

With the NAF style I can use the four direction hole method and be ok, though I have never done this before. But, is it the same method for the transverse and rim blown? I don't want to assume a thing with this, because I doubt I will find bamboo this sturdy for a long time. I pose the question to you, my educated peers, as well as another. We all know to an extent, no matter what they say, size matters. smile.gif As I am still very amateur, what flute would best fit the dimensions that I have?
My bamboo measures:
72" length
15/16" OD at blowing end
11/16" ID at blowing end

heyjude
I made a shakuhachi walking stick from pvc pipe using the four direction hole method and it worked out ok. You might experiment with a few bucks worth of pvc before using your bamboo.

Jude
zerocaine
QUOTE(heyjude @ Jan 20 2012, 01:23 AM) *
I made a shakuhachi walking stick from pvc pipe using the four direction hole method and it worked out ok. You might experiment with a few bucks worth of pvc before using your bamboo.

Jude

The only thing I don't like about doing the Shakuhachi, is the possible damage to the blowing edge. As I don't inlay horn or bone and the utaguchi is very thin, I would be worried about accidental bumping. Though I give thanks, because I at least know the theory is sound biggrin.gif
Keith Glowka
I would go for the NAF style because a transverse walking stick length flute would place a lot of weight out there that is not counterbalanced. A transverse flute that long would pretty much need to be propped up (in a tree fork?) on the distal end in order to be comfortable to play....either that or wear some serious wrist braces. wacko.gif

QUOTE(zerocaine @ Jan 19 2012, 11:05 PM) *
I am wanting to make a walking stick flute out of bamboo, and figured I have one of two ways to best do it. NAF style, or transverse. I have made NAFs, but not transverse or anasazi/rimblown.

With the NAF style I can use the four direction hole method and be ok, though I have never done this before. But, is it the same method for the transverse and rim blown? I don't want to assume a thing with this, because I doubt I will find bamboo this sturdy for a long time. I pose the question to you, my educated peers, as well as another. We all know to an extent, no matter what they say, size matters. smile.gif As I am still very amateur, what flute would best fit the dimensions that I have?
My bamboo measures:
72" length
15/16" OD at blowing end
11/16" ID at blowing end

Cha oha
I think heyjude was suggesting you experiment with pvc to see what works best before cutting the bamboo, not necessarily to make a rim blown.
And Keith has a very valid point..... 99% of bamboo walking stick flutes I've seen were NAF style.....
Beth
zerocaine
With some help from Jim, I have decided to go NAF style. Doing so, I want to make a low profile block that is wrapped well. I have seen a lot of flutes like this, anyone with experience with it (design, materials)?
zerocaine
I realized after looking over my posts, I didn't say thanks to everyone else! Sorry about that! Thank you all for the input. I love having a group like you who have honesty and knowledge, and never want to seem like it is less than truly awesome biggrin.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2014 Invision Power Services, Inc.